Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 16-17, 2022 MLK storm obs/now cast

George BM

2 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

Do these snow totals get added to the official yearly totals? Or is it whatever's left on the ground at the end of the storm? 

Yes. It’s total accumulation, not snow depth. That’s tracked independently. So DCA, for example, is up to 12.2” for the season I think.

Went out to plow at 4:15 and it was SN+ and 22F/21dp.  Just came in 4 hours later and it's rain and 32.  Was interesting to watch the conditions evolve from SN+ to sleet and now rn.  For a while the roads were a disaster but as the temps approached freezing the ton of salt VDOT put down was quickly doing its thing...  Overall, a pretty decent storm.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Getting absolutely crushed with sleet right now. crazy. 

I am starting to think that some of the models that began to forecast higher totals may have been counting sleetpack, lol. Because with the cold ground you have and the antecedent cold conditions, heavy sleet WILL pile up and eventually become a glacier. ZR will serve as a cement, then when the inevitable cold weather arrives after the storm, what you'll end up with is a material known as Ice-Nine. Shovels bounce right off it. The entire ground becomes a world-class Olympic skating rink.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, nj2va said:

15.7 with blizzard conditions at times. Impossible to measure but I’d guess 7-8”. Huge flakes coming down.

faa9fba177fa6e644ae2bd9d2db10d56.jpg

Radar has nothing really over us but I just went out and it’s some of the most brutal winter Wx I’ve been in (chased LES storms in Upstate NY). 

some 3-4’ drifts out there too, moderate to heavy snow. Almost a complete whiteout at times. I’d say at least 8”

• Like 4