joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 16-17, 2022 MLK storm obs/now cast

George BM

Just now, Grothar of Herndon said:

29/26

FR

Had to go out and deliver food for a family member and where the plows have exposed asphalt is glazing over on secondary roads. Neighborhood roads still snow covered and traction much better.   

Wonder how much accretion we get on the trees before we pull far enough above that freezing mark for accretion to stop? Probably enough to make the trees look pretty.

Just now, H2O said:

2”. It was snowing nicely most of the afternoon but was pixie dust and didn’t pile up super quick. It coated fast but took a while to cover things up. Was some blowing snow as well. 

Im happy as hell with it. 3 snows in January. I’m like 1” below climo. After the last couple winters this is awesome

This sums up my experience as well.

25 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

You are always upbeat.  Hats off to you.  This was a good event and it’s only mid Jan. 

Being unhappy with things you can’t control isn’t how I want to live. Life teaches you that there are more important things than snow. Why not just enjoy what happens and celebrate it with others?  It is much more fun that way. 

22 minutes ago, mappy said:

Gotta find the happiness and magic where you can, no matter how small :) 

It is so much more a joy to take what comes and make it fun for all. The small things and moments become fond memories that last longer and you appreciate them more.  :)  You def get it and that’s why each event can be just as special as big ones

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

Yeah. They are over 3” and it’s coming down in sheets. I wouldn’t be surprised if areas north of Germantown hit 4-5” before the flip. A place like Damascus where @jnislives could hit 5” at this rate. 

Im just living vicariously! Have fun out there 

Well we didn’t get to five, but it came down quick. I fell asleep watching the Dallas game lol so I missed noting when it changed to zr. I’m guessing we got 3.75 or so. 

2 hours ago, Kingstonian said:

Very surprised to measure 2.25" (in multiple locations) here in Kingstowne at 5pm. Far exceeded what I thought I would get. 

We went out for a walk about 5:10pm, and sleet had started mixing in. A neighbor invited us in for a drink around 5:40pm and the rain had started mixing in. Walking back a few minutes ago, it's pure ice -- a goodly amount of freezing rain (but my bush where I'd measure ice accretion was taken out in the time we were away). 

15 minutes ago, H2O said:

2”. It was snowing nicely most of the afternoon but was pixie dust and didn’t pile up super quick. It coated fast but took a while to cover things up. Was some blowing snow as well. 

Im happy as hell with it. 3 snows in January. I’m like 1” below climo. After the last couple winters this is awesome

Nice! Happy for you!

similar experience here, ended with 2.5” pouring sleet now. wooo lol

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, mappy said:

Love it! I leave lights on top of my kitchen cabinets, and along the stairwell banister. Cozy and cheery! 

Thanks! I also keep the old school ceramic C9 lights on my stairwell too. I love having the lights up thru the many shite 34° rain days in my neck of the woods….when I’m not chasing ❄️ up in the NW parts of VA.

But once in a blue moon, we get lucky. 

4514342B-77E6-4920-89BF-B378F6949112.jpeg

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

Nice! Happy for you!

similar experience here, ended with 2.5” pouring sleet now. wooo lol

Sweet!  I would normally say hang onto whatever frozen precip you can get. But I know your lack of affinity for ice pebbles. 

At least for a few hours it was gorgeous out. Especially at night

• Like 1

Just now, SnowBeach said:

Thanks! I also keep the old school ceramic C9 lights on my stairwell too. I love having the lights up thru the many shite 34° rain days in my neck of the woods….when I’m not chasing ❄️ up in the NW parts of VA.

But once in a blue moon, we get lucky. 

4514342B-77E6-4920-89BF-B378F6949112.jpeg

My house looks crazy similar to this.... The actual house.

• Like 1