Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 16-17, 2022 MLK storm obs/now cast

George BM

2 minutes ago, mattskiva said:

About 4" here in "eastern Loudoun" under my winter weather advisory.  Mostly heavy sleet now, building a nice glacier on top of the powder.

I mean.. your advisory is for 2-4” and then mixed precip. Looks like it verified unless you flip back to snow. 

Who here is near Dulles? 

My husband and daughters flight from Seattle is scheduled to take off on time at 4 PST with a wheels down time of Midnight here. How confident is the temperature rise and change to rain? They will be driving back up to Frederick and I am really thinking they just need to get a reservation and head home tomorrow. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Who here is near Dulles? 

My husband and daughters flight from Seattle is scheduled to take off on time at 4 PST with a wheels down time of Midnight here. How confident is the temperature rise and change to rain? They will be driving back up to Frederick and I am really thinking they just need to get a reservation and head home tomorrow. 

I am near Dulles and everything is a glacier.  All side roads untreated, unplowed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Incorrect. 2-4” 

EA1561B5-28AD-46BF-94F0-26AD44BE5756.jpeg

Okay, so they updated it at 5:30 and you hit refresh more often than I do.  Bully for you.  It was 1-3" earlier.

The point you're missing is that if it wasn't snowing, I could get on my motorcycle and be in "western Loudoun" in 8 minutes.  At the same latitude and same elevation I am at now.  It's a completely arbitrary designation.

There are parts of Loudoun where the weather is often very different from my area, but they are not easily drawn as a straight line on a map.

• Confused 1

Just now, mattskiva said:

Okay, so they updated it at 5:30 and you hit refresh more often than I do.  Bully for you.  It was 1-3" earlier.

That’s how forecasting typically goes for our CWA my friend. They upgrade / downgrade totals mid storm during almost every storm. Makes sense given how on the cusp we typically are.  

I do agree though - where they cut off the eastern London line is a bit silly 

Just now, osfan24 said:

Mix line is right on top of me as are heavy returns, but it’s still all snow but a light snow, which is confusing. Either way, expecting to hear pinging any second.

My brother said it’s about 50-50 snow/sleet in OEC. Sleet in Columbia. Pingers imminent for sure. 70 acts as a bit of a barrier with increased elevation north of it, but Expecting snow until about 8 here before we flip as well.