Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 16-17, 2022 MLK storm obs/now cast

George BM

12 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Scots-Irish here, myself, but I hear what you're saying.  So I get a double-dose of drunken bastardness! :lol:  I'm enjoying some wine right now.  My dad loved single malt Scotch (NEVER on the rocks, always straight-up!).  I like it myself that way, the occasional times I still have some (though my brother thinks it tastes like crap!!).  I probably sound like an alkie now, but moderation of course!! Hahaha!

I had a margarita for the first time last year and I’ve been legally allowed to drink for over 2 decades. I laughed and cried the whole way home. At the same time. I was told I’m not allowed to have that again and I reminded him whose idea it was. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yeah, this is legit.  Pouring snow and definitely the best winds of the day - a mix of pixie dust, smaller flakes, and dendrites.  Temp is still only 12.  I’d say 5-6” is a safe bet - if upslope meets expectations, we’d easily be on the upper end of the 12-18” forecast.

definitely agree, and I’m bullish on the upslope with the strength of the wind coming out of the NW. Can definitely see 18” happening

• Like 1

Enjoying every minute of the snow. I know the temp spike is inevitably coming, and that were all still itching for that big storm, but got to take in these experiences. It looks like a lot of you have today which is great! 

Only other thing, am I the only person that just refuses to measure in the middle of a storm? There's just something in me that makes it feel like cheating. I just have to wait until the end result. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kristia said:

I had a margarita for the first time last year and I’ve been legally allowed to drink for over 2 decades. I laughed and cried the whole way home. At the same time. I was told I’m not allowed to have that again and I reminded him whose idea it was. 

LOL!!  Margaritas sure are good and refreshing.  The only way I ever care to have tequila at all!!  But yeah, gotta be a bit careful.  Used to like martinis, and a friend of mine and I (when I lived in Atlanta) would go out for those upon occasion.  I admit to having had a bit too much a time or two!!

4 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Absolutely pounding snow in northern MoCo according to my in-laws. They think they are going to hit 4” easily before any flip. Good storm for everyone. Enjoy! 

Definitely helps to have good cold prior to a storm. We might scrape 4" in Reisterstown. It's pounding.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Absolutely pounding snow in northern MoCo according to my in-laws. They think they are going to hit 4” easily before any flip. Good storm for everyone. Enjoy! 

visibility in Clarksburg is very low.....If the snow continues with these rates, we could easily approach 6" before changeover....

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Definitely helps to have good cold prior to a storm. We might scrape 4" in Reisterstown. It's pounding.

This storm (for us beltway crowd) is such a great comparison to last year's multiple fails. We never had temps last year and the flips to sleet/rain were always super quick. This storm, we've flipped and the rain is coming, but because of the legit cold, we're pulling off 3" ish first

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Yeah. They are over 3” and it’s coming down in sheets. I wouldn’t be surprised if areas north of Germantown hit 4-5” before the flip. A place like Damascus where @jnislives could hit 5” at this rate. 

Im just living vicariously! Have fun out there 

• Like 1