Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 16-17, 2022 MLK storm obs/now cast

George BM

4 minutes ago, umdterps29 said:

We will no doubt have snow falling for a while I’m not trolling. Just replying to the comment that once returns are overhead snow starts quickly. Has not been the case here and in Baltimore city we will have more temp issues than surrounding areas 

Radar is deceptive given how far you are from it. There’s also a bit of dry air to overcome. Patience, it’s coming. Per mPING, snow reports just south of downtown Balt City

1 minute ago, mappy said:

Radar is deceptive given how far you are from it. There’s also a bit of dry air to overcome. Patience, it’s coming. Per mPING, snow reports just south of downtown Balt City

Another thing to consider is folks can be using different color tables depending on what radar or program you are using and the source. I have a special "snow" color table that Ian sent me a while back - so where I see obvious returns may not show the same as other folks. Regardless - my original point to he/she stands - the precip does start pretty soon after returns pick up in intensity. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

Another thing to consider is folks can be using different color tables depending on what radar or program you are using and the source. I have a special "snow" color table that Ian sent me a while back - so where I see obvious returns may not show the same as other folks. Regardless - my original point to he/she stands - the precip does start pretty soon after returns pick up in intensity. 

I use precipitation depiction mode on radar scope pro.  Green rain, blue snow, red ice.

Speaking of colors how many old timers here remember the Maryland National Bank building downtown?  The letters MN were done in neon and could display blue for cooler, red for hotter, and yellow whenever it was going to change.

7 minutes ago, WesternFringe said:

Moderate to Heavy snow. 3-4” otg.  NW of Staunton

ETA: This was earlier when there was only an inch.  My wife spent hours making sure their stalls were comfortable, but they prefer Jebwalks and hay!5C1068E0-3A59-44C0-9EDB-8873FC96796D.thumb.jpeg.b69d5e1831cd1c908666d6067b146ff9.jpeg

Wow...looks like even the horses have caved!  Horse-topper!

Snow has picked up here where I am, good coating all over everything now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1