Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 16-17, 2022 MLK storm obs/now cast

George BM

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

When is the last time we had a 985mb slp pass directly overhead? I have a really nice old school baro on the wall. I usually try to mark the unusual low pressures. Right now the marking needle is pointing 29.22 (around 990mbs) and I don't even remember when I moved it last. 

Have we ever?  I feel like someone here would have posted it.  

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

When is the last time we had a 985mb slp pass directly overhead? I have a really nice old school baro on the wall. I usually try to mark the unusual low pressures. Right now the marking needle is pointing 29.22 (around 990mbs) and I don't even remember when I moved it last. 

My lowest is 28.17 March 93 

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

18 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

For MBY, this storm feels like an unexpected bonus check. I never really got seriously invested because these types of deals absolutely LOVE to slip away. It did start doing that yesterday but felt really good this AM when I checked all the data. 

Imho (subjective topic) this storm is 3 for 3 for my yard. All 3 did pretty much everything they could to ensure I got "acceptable" outcomes. This has been a very friendly period. Could continue easily too. We are a persistence wx location 

You guys are on a heater! Enjoy it! ENJOY THAT SNOW!

• Like 1

Just now, mattie g said:

I mean…it’s not rocket science, but cold temps help so much to help everything stick from the onset. We’ve got a pixie-dust car topper/mulch topper/road topper in Burke so far.

Definitely haven’t lost a single flake with these temps. 21 degrees and moderate snow doesn’t happen for us all that often

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

Have we ever?  I feel like someone here would have posted it.  

On February 7th, 2020 the surface pressure got down to around or just below 980mb. This is the event that spawned those QLCS tornadoes that morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, George BM said:

On February 7th, 2020 the surface pressure got down to around or just below 980mb. This is the event that spawned those QLCS tornadoes that morning.

when Sandy made landfall in AC, I remember the local sites in NYC getting down into the 960s.  It was wild.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Probably for the best for most the forum, prevents some serious rainfall, I’d imagine.

I'm pumped about the dryslot here, makes this a much better storm. We get 2-3 hrs of sleet/zr then cloudy and hovering around freezing. 

Just now, SnowGolfBro said:

Stopping in to Target for a few football watching necessities. Way to many people out in cars that can’t handle this weather. Hope they get somewhere safe soon

Yes people get SUV courage.  Ice has not changed its properties to make things slide.