• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 16-17, 2022 MLK storm obs/now cast

George BM

Pro weenie tip with COD radar. When WAA snow approaches from the S or SW, always watch the triangle shaped radar shadow pointing SW. When that fills in with greens pretty much simultaneously as the unobscured area around it, there typically won't be much virga at onset. Good thing to know if you don't already.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 9
  • Weenie 1

18F / 5 @ mi casa  

Models are definitely busting high on surface temps at this juncture, but unless the h5 and surface lows magically shift hundreds of miles east, the general area will meet the same fate as we’ve been expecting for a few days now.

Guess there’s a shot at a few extra hours of wintry weather, but we’ve seen this setup before (low driving over or west of us) — we always comment on temps being lower than expected leading up to it, and the mid levels get torched all the same. 

If my house gets 3-4” of snow into a sleet fest and/or dryslot, I’d consider that a win in this setup. 

7 minutes ago, AmericanWxFreak said:

26BD9EE0-B009-455D-B216-219B32CE9C02.jpeg

He is absolutely wishcasting

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, The Ole Bucket said:

I live on a main road in Cville so my chief focus through the midday will be when the road caves.

They pretreated the ever-loving-hell out of the main arteries. And the 5th Street Station (large strip mall) parking lot this morning was filled with linemen and their trucks ready to deploy for any power outages. Must have been 30 trucks there.

I live north of you up near Hollymead. Roads are starting to cave here....how about down there?

11 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Could anyone post the link to the co-efficient radar? Obviously going to be important to follow today 

8 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

What exactly is this map? Does it show where the sleet line is and therefore snow/ice/rain gradients? 

9 minutes ago, jayyy said:

18F / 5 @ mi casa  

Models are definitely busting high on surface temps at this juncture, but unless the h5 and surface lows magically shift hundreds of miles east, the general area will meet the same fate as we’ve been expecting for a few days now.

Guess there’s a shot at a few extra hours of wintry weather, but we’ve seen this setup before (low driving over or west of us) — we always comment on temps being lower than expected leading up to it, and the mid levels get torched all the same. 

If my house gets 3-4” of snow into a sleet fest and/or dryslot, I’d consider that a win in this setup. 

He is absolutely wishcasting

I don't think so. He just said more snow. He didn't say all snow or a historic storm. 

Just now, Wetbulbs88 said:

What exactly is this map? Does it show where the sleet line is and therefore snow/ice/rain gradients? 

It’s essentially showing how similarly the various hydrometeors (precipitation) are reflecting radar energy back to the radar. When it’s a uniform red color, they all are quite similar. Right now, that means all snow. Later, you’ll see a bright yellow and green line cutting through. That’s where there’s a lot of mixing and different types of precipitation droplets/particles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3