• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 16-17, 2022 MLK storm obs/now cast

George BM

I live on a main road in Cville so my chief focus through the midday will be when the road caves.

They pretreated the ever-loving-hell out of the main arteries. And the 5th Street Station (large strip mall) parking lot this morning was filled with linemen and their trucks ready to deploy for any power outages. Must have been 30 trucks there.

4 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

One of the trends I like seeing on the RAP/HRRR combo is the downward adjustment of the surface temp for later this evening. It might not make it down to 32 for area east of Rt 15 beyond 03z, but it's trending colder west of their, and that spells a greater threat for ice. Also, the surface is extremely cold, especially the elevated areas where ice may occur while temp is between 32-34 degrees. Some slick spots will show up late, even for those in the rain. Keep an eye on that. 

Snow forecast looks pretty solid right now. I might bust a bit low on some of my ranges here if the trend holds. Ground truth to the south says this will be a better event than what we were anticipating 24 hrs ago. Love reverse, positive trends :)

yea, seems like there's a more easterly component on the gfs than the high res models.  this is one of those storms where mets earn their paper.  gonna be a lot of flight delays incoming as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Would someone more knowledgeable be willing to explain how this is a sleet/snow sounding? The highest temp in the the column is 20 degrees.

gfs_2022011612_012_39.25--78.25.png

It’s not. That’s pure snow. GFS algorithm is off there. Would say it’s an artifact of the site calculation. Wouldn’t worry too much about the GFS at this range. Stick to hi-res guidance and observations. It’s go time!! B)

• Thanks 2

Just now, BristowWx said:

What do you think about what Pann tweeted ref Theta-e advection?   Not sure I’ve read a reference to that by you or other red taggers

Even if the storm gravitates to the tongue of Theta-E along the coast, the phasing s/w with the ULL will allow for a negative tilt of the mean trough and the low will pull NW into the area. Absolutely nothing will stop that considering the 5H low track is well modeled at this point. Perhaps a tick east keeps the thermals from going to hell a little earlier, but there isn’t going to be a major shift to all snow for east of the Piedmont. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

Even if the storm gravitates to the tongue of Theta-E along the coast, the phasing s/w with the ULL will allow for a negative tilt of the mean trough and the low will pull NW into the area. Absolutely nothing will stop that considering the 5H low track is well modeled at this point. Perhaps a tick east keeps the thermals from going to hell a little earlier, but there isn’t going to be a major shift to all snow for east of the Piedmont. 

Roger.  Thanks.  Being in the piedmont I read that as you are saying there is a chance

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

In other words…..Pann is a weenie.
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 3

3 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

You sir need to get a job at LWX stat. Really appreciate your analysis and explanations of the dynamics at work. Great stuff as always. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

I think 4" is possible for the western half of Howard Co if everything breaks right. Fingers crossed!

Awesome!  I am in the western half of PWC but considering this is a east to west deal more than north south I am enthused.  Appreciate you!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Awesome!  I am in the western half of PWC but considering this is a east to west deal more than north south I am enthused.  Appreciate you!

I just realized you are in VA. Man, I need more coffee lol

East-west gradient definitely works in your favor. 2-4" I think is a lock with a crust of sleet/ZR in the mix before any flip to rain. A true barrage of all the elements. 

• Like 2