Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 16-17, 2022 MLK storm obs/now cast

George BM

7 minutes ago, SnowDreamer said:

DCA probably going to break through 22F tonight… wonder if this streak is still alive? 

lol see above.  it's going on 1000+ days now.  It probably ended this hour.

We still have a streak ongoing of days reaching at least 30F that stretches back to the beginning of Feb 2019.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jmk said:

Close to Haymarket here and been feeling the same. 

You’d be surprised how SE winds and warmer than they should be ocean temps can decimate cold air faster than mustard gets on a tie at a county fair…whatever that means.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

You’d be surprised how SE winds and warmer than they should be ocean temps can decimate cold air faster than mustard gets on a tie at a county fair…whatever that means.  

I have lived here long enough to understand our climo.  History says we get 2-3 inches,  a little bit longer then expected period of frozen precip, and then rain.  However, for some reason I have my weenie goggles on.  Maybe it’s the bourbon talking, or maybe it’s the euphoria of the Bills pounding the Pats.  Either way I am glass half full on this one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Yep same people who said no way would snow stick after days in the 60’s. I think we’re all very lucky the entire event isn’t freezing rain….

Just now, PWC Split said:

I have lived here long enough to understand our climo.  History says we get 2-3 inches,  a little bit longer then expected period of frozen precip, and then rain.  However, for some reason I have my weenie goggles on.  Maybe it’s the bourbon talking, or maybe it’s the euphoria of the Bills pounding the Pats.  Either way I am glass half full on this one.

I think you may be underestimating that mild ocean temp and strong easterly fetch we’re going to experience rather quickly. I would also say when have we boomed with this particular storm track ??

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

I don’t know about this argument… I mean every weather event is unique but it’s not like you can’t take from others where the low was running way less far to the west and extrapolate.

I've been following the SNE thread on the storm and even ORH was mentioning how unique this storm path is

• Like 1

I've been following the SNE thread on the storm and even ORH was mentioning how unique this storm path is

That’s probably very true, but I don’t think it means you throw meteorology 101 out the window here in hopes of a weenie miracle, I guess is the point I’m trying to make.

We obviously have some hope for a strong WAA push that helps keep things cooler. Psu mentioned something like that a few nights ago. I just don’t think that depends on a unique “this has never been seen before” event.

3 minutes ago, jewell2188 said:

I think you may be underestimating that mild ocean temp and strong easterly fetch we’re going to experience rather quickly. I would also say when have we boomed with this particular storm track ??

Not underestimating at all.  I have zero scientific support for my assertion.  Just a weenie who has a gut feeling.  17/3 as an obs.

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

14.2 in Reisterstown. New record low for my site (5 years of data).

It's a damn shame that shortwave is tugging it west.

A little less phase and it could of been a real nice snow.

Probably needed some phase to get it up the coast, just less than were getting .

Always needing to thread the needle but that how we roll lol 

• Like 1