• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 16-18th Major Synoptic Snowstorm- Observation Thread

7 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

It's been pouring snow here for the past two hours. 1 to 2 inch per hour rates. Making up for last night quickly. This is the "Winter Storm Warning" event. :) Between 8 and 9 inches for this event since last night. Hoping to make it to those double digits!

Not bad here too in Cicero, definitely 2x what last night was.

LES band is shrinking so maybe we'll eek out another inch but I'm happy with it

9 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

It's been pouring snow here for the past two hours. 1 to 2 inch per hour rates. Making up for last night quickly. This is the "Winter Storm Warning" event. :) Between 8 and 9 inches for this event since last night. Hoping to make it to those double digits!

I'd say 6 to 7" here.  Total. No way it's 9 or 10". 

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

That's a downtown Syracuse thing also. I thought people were joking about it but it's real. Every year it seems someone gets bowled over.  

Models performed well with this storm. I'm looking for someone to blame for the Syracuse atrocity.  I can think of only one reason why the snowbelts of South Carolina outperformed KSYR....the Curse of the New Bambino...

Yep, she was driving on Hiawatha!

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

I got 3 inches of whateverthatwas last night, and 5 to 6 inches today/tonight (1.5 to 2 inches during the day 4 inches tonight.)

I ad 2.5" of gruel last night.  I didn't do an actual measurement for daytime hours but looked like 1.5" by eyeball.  Maybe about 4" tonight. So maybe 8" total.  Which was my over/under for this storm here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sferic said:

Switched radars, you are right!

Could that trajectory be Onondaga friendly?

Yes. As the system moves away, winds are expected to turn more WNW, which is the best trajectory for Northern Onondaga county. Look at the radar, and you can already see those snow showers by Rochester turning on a more WNW flow.

• Like 1

@sferic, BGM just updated this as of 10:30 pm...which is kind of humorous, because this is what they had earlier this evening for an entire total tonight. So, we got a bonus from the lake enhancement. Now, if the lake effect doesn't set up overnight, then it was a win on their part. :)

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST
TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Lake effect snow expected. Total snow accumulations of
  2 to 4 inches. Winds gusting as high as 40 mph will cause
  blowing snow to drift.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yes. As the system moves away, winds are expected to turn more WNW, which is the best trajectory for Northern Onondaga county. Look at the radar, and you can already see those snow showers by Rochester turning on a more WNW flow.

I see that

I guess it's in the realm we could hit 12" when all is said and done

Not too shabby

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

12 inches "might" be pushing it...lake effect is so tricky. If we just get showery stuff, that will be hard to meet. If some banding sets up, there could be 4 additional inches to get there. 

I love the good side of unexpected  weather like tonight.

When my wife and I decided to buy upstate I was thinking around BGM, but then i did some research and realized this was the place to be.

If I had it to do over , I would have moved up here early on in my teaching career

But as you know I have two other locations I can go to on a dime if weather dictates

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sferic said:

I love the good side of unexpected  weather like tonight.

When my wife and I decided to buy upstate I was thinking around BGM, but then i did some research and realized this was the place to be.

If I had it to do over , I would have moved up here early on in my teaching career

But as you know I have two other locations I can go to on a dime if weather dictates

I wish I had two other locations I could go to based on the forecast. :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

A few minutes driving around the city today, roads were terrible! Buffalo schools are closed again tomorrow.

I grew up on the Buffalo/West Seneca border and the difference in snow maintenance is night and day once you hit the city line. It's why I usually root for snow to stay in the suburbs. It sucks for those people, especially in like the really narrow streets of South Buffalo.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Leelee said:

I grew up on the Buffalo/West Seneca border and the difference in snow maintenance is night and day once you hit the city line. It's why I usually root for snow to stay in the suburbs. It sucks for those people, especially in like the really narrow streets of South Buffalo.

I grew up on the west side of Buffalo until I was 12 before I moved to Cheektowaga. My grandma and aunt are both older and my aunt has a disabled daughter that lives with her and they live next to each other right by Buff State so I always go over there to shovel so they don't have to. This was the most amount of snow I've seen over there in a long time. I was over there for last LES event and this was much more snow, had to be over 20". She says every house has 1-2 cars each and there is no where to park. I pushed out several cars, everyone was getting stuck.

• Like 1