1000-850mb mean flow oriented out of the northwest slowly
becoming west northwest the Winter Weather Advisory for Lake
Effect snow should play out nicely. HREF 1 hour mean snowfall
over the eastern Finger Lakes suggests that inch an hour rates
should be possible generally along and north of the NY Thruway
through around 11pm.
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Just got done driving through streets of North Buffalo and I almost got stuck. I've never gotten stuck in any of my chases.

Yup.  City streets are horrible right now.  Main roads are OK but secondaries are still rough and side streets just have so much deep packed snow.  Parking change night in SB making it even worse.  Took some video on the ride home I’ll see what came out.  

7 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hmm, hope this happens!

With
through around 11pm.

It's been coming down good here. Keep it coming baby! 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hmm, hope this happens!

With
through around 11pm.

I was in DeWitt playing indoor golf. Now at Tullys in North Syracuse, or whatever town this is at Drivers Village. Slow going out there. Roads not horrible other than local where the doofuses have dumped salt and turned road into a slippery sludge. Cuz muh, safety.

57 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Probably a couple/few hours left..

WUNIDS_map - 2022-01-17T192249.418.gif

WUNIDS_map - 2022-01-17T192308.105.gif

Been a nice couple of hours with snow and wind. Nice to see backside snows (good job RGEM).

I’d say 3” new since 4pm. 7-8” Storm total so far. Cleared off the car earlier very little sleet, but definitely a period of freezing rain overnight. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, vortmax said:

It's been coming down good here. Keep it coming baby! 

Same here! Snow has set up along and north of the Thruway. :) 

3 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I was in DeWitt playing indoor golf. Now at Tullys in North Syracuse, or whatever town this is at Drivers Village. Slow going out there. Roads not horrible other than local where the doofuses have dumped salt and turned road into a slippery sludge. Cuz muh, safety.

I think Drivers Village is considered Cicero. Wife said that her commute was very frustrating because of all the dodos walking out in the middle of the roads.

10 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Same here! Snow has set up along and north of the Thruway. :) 

I think Drivers Village is considered Cicero. Wife said that her commute was very frustrating because of all the dodos walking out in the middle of the roads.

That's a downtown Syracuse thing also. I thought people were joking about it but it's real. Every year it seems someone gets bowled over.  

Models performed well with this storm. I'm looking for someone to blame for the Syracuse atrocity.  I can think of only one reason why the snowbelts of South Carolina outperformed KSYR....the Curse of the New Bambino...

• Haha 1

This was a very nice storm, and had some pretty impressive moments.  The density of this dry snow is really incredible. My finally tally is floating around 13 inches right now but the piles I’ve made are huge. This stuff does not compact at all!  It’s been a wild 24 hours and I need sleep badly. 

49E3F5D4-86C0-4D51-B694-5908596BD2C6.thumb.jpeg.0c47ac1528151b3fad5a98948a3e54df.jpeg

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

This was a very nice storm, and had some pretty impressive moments.  The density of this dry snow is really incredible. My finally tally is floating around 13 inches right now but the piles I’ve made are huge. This stuff does not compact at all!  It’s been a wild 24 hours and I need sleep badly. 

49E3F5D4-86C0-4D51-B694-5908596BD2C6.thumb.jpeg.0c47ac1528151b3fad5a98948a3e54df.jpeg

Took me 3 hours to dig out my grandma and aunt in Buffalo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Glad you had a successful chase!

Thanks. Lucked out as it was a family vacation from Christmas that was rescheduled due to child illness (and then lack of snow). With the kids off for MLK day it gave us the window for a reschedule and last week’s lake effect + this storm resulted in a great winter escape. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

6 straight hours of +SN at YYZ only to finish with a whopping 9" lol. Though other stations all recorded between 14-18" with this storm. 

Similar to this storm, then, in how YYZ reported bogus numbers. I seem to recall a bunch of us venting about it on this board, at the time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Took me 3 hours to dig out my grandma and aunt in Buffalo.

As stated many times today I don’t think I’ve had a snowpack this deep and this dense…probably because most of our bigger accumulation are from lake effect and it’s more “airy”. This stuff is going nowhere for some time to come.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

As stated many times today I don’t think I’ve had a snowpack this deep and this dense…probably because most of our bigger accumulation are from lake effect and it’s more “airy”. This stuff is going nowhere for some time to come.

The first half was very fluffy, the last half was pure sleet/snow mix here. Will be interesting to see 2 day QPF totals, we will likely see many areas above 2".

2" of LES would have 30-40" totals.

2022&cp=0

• Thanks 1