• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 16-18th Major Synoptic Snowstorm- Observation Thread

31 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Toronto still getting hit pretty good with that band, they're saying its the worst storm in history up there. That can't be true?

WUNIDS_map?num=6&type=N0Q&mapx=400&mapy=

Knowing some of YYZ climo, large snowstorms like this one (and particularly blizzards) are quite rare for them. There have only been a select few storms in history that have dropped over 15" there, and this looks to join the club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, sferic said:

Hope that 6 verifies, would love it here in Cicero; but as you alluded to, you are more in the path of the LES than I am

To be honest and more positive for my immediate locale...it's been a better winter for Northwest Onondaga county/Baldwinsville than the rest of the county (other than maybe Tully down in the hills). 

• Like 1

Just now, 96blizz said:

It’s about to rip in Onondaga county…

I was just about to say that! It's picking up bigtime here already and the good banding hasn't even arrived yet. Gives me hope for a good thump under the bright banding. It's been snowing decently here since around 10:30 this morning and outside of a short lull at lunch. Let the games begin!

image.thumb.png.3bc26fcfc785ad8fe2e273d66c7539f4.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

The backend hasn’t been much more than snow showers over here. Looks like we pretty much call it with a foot. Not a bust and not a blockbuster. Toronto really scored. As did Cleveland. Just yesterday afternoon I bet they figured on almost nothing. Now that’s a feel good storm! 

Some local mets are calling it a 1 in 100 year storm for Toronto, or at least a once in a generation. All the right factors have to come together to give us a snow event like this. Buffalo and Rochester can rely on lake enhancement, while Ottawa is just a snow magnet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Toronto still getting hit pretty good with that band, they're saying its the worst storm in history up there. That can't be true?

WUNIDS_map?num=6&type=N0Q&mapx=400&mapy=

It's not the worst storm in history, lol. The biggest one day snow event was in January 1965. The city received 16" out of the December 10-11, 1992 storm. Granted, you'd have to at least be 40 to remember the 1992 storm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sub_Zero said:

YYZ is only reporting 9", which is strange as I have family minutes away posting pictures of cars covered.   I'd say 20''+

YYZ is the worst reporting station for snow.  No way the city got just 9". No way. The two cars in our driveway are almost buried. The snow is up to my waist even away from the drifts.

• Like 1