• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Jan 16-18th Major Synoptic Snowstorm- Observation Thread

11 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Just measured 22.2” in East Amherst on Transit near Clarence Center Road. 

2 miles north from my house. This is an all timer. Currently in a lull between the band shifting east and the one just west of here over the Niagara river and Grand Island. Should get back into good returns soon! Are you working this way Devin?

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

19 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

For all the Western New Yorkers who don't often get to feel the impacts of a dieing deformation band, you'll notice that,  as the storm pulls out radar returns will look weaker but it'll snow surprisingly hard under those relatively weaker returns. 

Totally noticing that. Gotta be the very dry nature. LP looks to be tracking over BGM

9 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

The snow has picked up here again. Unfortunately the temperature is up to 36 so it will have a hard time accumulating until the temperature falls again. 

Wow that's weird, didn't realize it got that warm lol I looked and I hit 36° at around 7am but back down to 21°, kfzy is 22°..Cold should be getting there soon..

10 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

The snow has picked up here again. Unfortunately the temperature is up to 36 so it will have a hard time accumulating until the temperature falls again. 

It's dropped into the 25 to 28 degrees range here in Northwestern Onondaga and the Phoenix area with moderate snow. Seems like the line of colder air runs right through Bville and to just north of Brewerton.

8 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

Just checked the observation at Fulton and it is -6C. It’ll be interesting to see if my temperature plunges shortly. 

Did you see my obs.? (Maybe you have me blocked...lol) Cato dropped 6 degrees in an hour. I am also now down to 26 degrees with a powdery moderate snow falling.

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Did you see my obs.? (Maybe you have me blocked...lol) Cato dropped 6 degrees in an hour. I am also now down to 26 degrees with a powdery moderate snow falling.

Sorry, I did see that. KSYR is at +1C about the same as me. It looks like there is a frontal boundary of some sort across Onondaga County. 

• Like 1

We stayed mostly snow for this, so it certainly overperformed my expectations being this far east in NY.  Took an average of 6" on the boards, so not too bad considering the track.  Snow growth was pretty bad as expected out this way for much of it, or we might have done a little better.  Congrats to those in WNY and Ontario, there have been some incredible reports out that way.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

2 miles north from my house. This is an all timer. Currently in a lull between the band shifting east and the one just west of here over the Niagara river and Grand Island. Should get back into good returns soon! Are you working this way Devin?

Yes sir, Juniper Glen Nursing Home on Transit. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

Sorry, I did see that. KSYR is at +1C about the same as me. It looks like there is a frontal boundary of some sort across Onondaga County. 

Pretty impressive that it's taking that long to move through the county. Looks like west side of Brewerton has now made the 5 to 8 degree drop.

This could be why some of the models were showing less snow on the eastern side of the county for today's snowfall.