Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 16-18th Major Synoptic Snowstorm- Observation Thread

36 minutes ago, yoda said:

Hmmmm

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY
204 AM EST MON JAN 17 2022

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0155 AM     SNOW             TONAWANDA               42.99N 78.88W
01/17/2022  M5.8 INCH        ERIE               NY   PUBLIC

ONE HOUR SNOWFALL BETWEEN 1250 AM AND 150
            AM. REPORT VIA SOCIAL MEDIA.

If that verifies that MIGHT be the highest snowfall rate lake effect or not for the northtowns. That’s insane. 

• Like 2

Well I picked a good time to call it last night. We haven’t really got much more than a coating since I came in at 430.  About 8 inches on the snowboard so it’ll just barely verify on the low end if can squeak out another inch or two throughout the day. Still a completely wild front end thump with this one and a very fun night!  This stuff should have some staying power too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeltaT13 said:

Well I picked a good time to call it last night. We haven’t really got much more than a coating since I came in at 430.  About 8 inches on the snowboard so it’ll just barely verify on the low end if can squeak out another inch or two throughout the day. Still a completely wild front end thump with this one and a very fun night!  This stuff should have some staying power too. 

Nws calling for additional 6 to 8

8 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Pretty disappointing stuff here in eastern Monroe county. The 3k nailed the sleet and slot. No measurement but as Delta said we haven’t accumulated much since 4am. 6-7” eyeball. 

Yeah this scenario is what I was worried about. Not quite the disaster of SYR, but far from the jackpot of BUF.

Solid front end though, and if we can get slow and steady snow and lake enhancement, maybe grind out another 6" to get into 12-15" I would take that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PerintonMan said:

Yeah this scenario is what I was worried about. Not quite the disaster of SYR, but far from the jackpot of BUF.

Solid front end though, and if we can get slow and steady snow and lake enhancement, maybe grind out another 6" to get into 12-15" I would take that.

Yep. I put Rochester at 9” for that reason. I think we’ll beat that but not a blockbuster from the looks. Still the best one we’ve had since last February. Enjoy! 

• Like 3