• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 16-18th Major Synoptic Snowstorm- Observation Thread

1 minute ago, BGM Blizzard said:

All snow here and nice flake structure still. Band isn't as organized as it is to the west toward Elmira/Corning. Little more diffuse here. Could be the shadowing off the Catskills and Poconos that some of the models were showing perhaps?

37918991_WUNIDS_map-2022-01-16T214506_317.gif.1e8e3250c7bb0c0ce42d0746f9fbf3ca.gif

That could be a good sign for our region. Being that this is such a strange situation, the models probably aren't programmed as well for reading this type of setup.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hey, nice to see you post. I was wondering if you were still around. I heard the Bville plows out already. They sure do a great job!

Yeah- always learning from you guys and watching the newbies.  Do not mean any disrespect but honestly, I work in Rochester at times but just gets tiring when we all want a good, synoptic event and the focus for everyone but some peeps like to only focus on Rochester.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SyracuseStorm said:

Yeah- always learning from you guys and watching the newbies.  Do not mean any disrespect but honestly, I work in Rochester at times but just gets tiring when we all want a good, synoptic event and the focus for everyone but some peeps like to only focus on Rochester.

Everyone focuses on their own areas. Especially for lake effect. Just how it is and it's quite alright. Embrace the fun. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Someone always wins and someone always loses. I definitely appreciate the posters from other areas but it’s hard not getting excited/ anxious for this. Sorry about the hyper focus on Rochester. It’s been a long dry spell for us. Hope you guys get surprised! 

All good brotha- want to see you guys get crushed but also, as a snow lover, know there are some peeps that have been watching every run.  They have watched the dry slots and the F’ing purple band over N. Onondaga for 3 days with no shifts. Truly appreciate the passion and persistence you have displayed. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tim123 said:

Watch out with the my backyard posts. Some people are touchy. Lol

Lol, well he has a point..I rolled my eyes at that most recent thing you posted, but moved on. I know that's you and most of us just accept it and tease you about it...just like some have called me out for negativity, but also tease me about it because some of the things that do show up are hilarious...like the screw hole depicted over my head. lol... Maybe just be a bit more aware of how often you're posting maps and amazing snowfall posts for your area? It can be a bit discouraging to those who aren't going to be so fortunate. There's a reason so many keep bringing it up to you. Anyways, @rochesterdavehad a great response.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SyracuseStorm said:

Yeah, we all naturally want good snow for our own area. :) You should report your obs more often from your part of Lysander. Thanks for putting up with my complaining about "the curse" over our heads. lol

• Like 1

Just now, vortmax said:

I am, too far east for Erie, too far south for Ontario. 

I just wish everyone here could experience what I did in Nov 2014. Nothing will ever compare to 88" of snow in 3 days. I don't care if it was "fake" snow it had 6-7" of QPF in it when sampled. Walking around in the middle of the 5-6" per hour stuff for hours on end was just incredible, hard to put into words.

Having said that, those rates are increasing and expanding to our south, if that's all snow its about to come down 2-3" per.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I just wish everyone here could experience what I did in Nov 2014. Nothing will ever compare to 88" of snow in 3 days. I don't care if it was "fake" snow it had 6-7" of QPF in it when sampled. Walking around in the middle of the 5-6" per hour stuff for hours on end was just incredible, hard to put into words.

Having said that, those rates are increasing and expanding to our south, if that's all snow its about to come down 2-3" per.

You really should invest in a Snow-weenie bus and come pick all of weather nerds up from around the state. Then we can go find these 'death bands" and frolic in the snowy hills. Delta can stand on a windy hill and let the hurricane gusts flow through his locks...tim can find a drift to stick his adjusted ruler in to...you can all avoid me as the band separates over my head...you and Syrmax can start a campfire and roast your hairy legs...then we can all chip in for @rochesterdave to have a nut transplant. It will be rockin' fun time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Ok, so FWIW the intellicast winter radar depiction seems to be following the 0C isotherm and not the critical Thickness lines that are modeled by SPC (RAP?).  Only PA Station reporting mix or RN at 10pm was the SE corner, Philly to York area.

Screenshot_20220116-215930_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220116-215907_Chrome.jpg

Look at the forcing along ny pa border.

2 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Look at the forcing along ny pa border.

Yeah, I have been thinking this sleet idea depicted in the middle of strong meso banding signatures is rubbish.  Makes little sense though I suppose we can construct reasons to backfit to the modeling. We shall soon see!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

You really should invest in a Snow-weenie bus and come pick all of weather nerds up from around the state. Then we can go find these 'death bands" and frolic in the snowy hills. Delta can stand on a windy hill and let the hurricane gusts flow through his locks...tim can find a drift to stick his adjusted ruler in to...you can all avoid me as the band separates over my head...you and Syrmax can start a campfire and roast your hairy legs...then we can all chip in for dave to have a nut transplant. It will be rockin' fun time!

You F’ing Lysander people don’t know when to quit!

• Haha 2