Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 20-22 “bring the mojo” winter storm threat

lilj4425

2 minutes ago, PantherJustin said:

If it comes in weaker won’t that not suppress it and squash it as much? Ala  NW Trends

With a typical low yes. But this is more dependent on the northern and southern streams phasing, where that occurs, how much they dig etc...

The big Ukie run a couple days ago went neutral/negative tilt right over the NC/TN/SC/GA borders and then closed off even near the coast the next frame. The most recent GFS run for instance is still positively tilted and centered in the piedmont of NC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, GunBlade said:

With a typical low yes. But this is more dependent on the northern and southern streams phasing, where that occurs, how much they dig etc...

The big Ukie run a couple days ago went neutral/negative tilt right over the NC/TN/SC/GA borders and then closed off even near the coast the next frame. The most recent GFS run for instance is still positively tilted and centered in the piedmont of NC. 

Yea and it's gonna be tough to get that negative tilt now. Though with the delayed cold front that could slow down that northern energy which you would think would help it phase more. 

• Like 1

Yea and it's gonna be tough to get that negative tilt now. Though with the delayed cold front that could slow down that northern energy wish you would think would help it phase more. 
it would, the slower front would force it back SW so we actually need the delay

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Sandstorm94 said:

it would, the slower front would force it back SW so we actually need the delay

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

Problem is you're working against the clock in the southeast. 12z was def an eyebrow raiser though. Each tick slower, better phasing brings better results and given the setup it screams that this should be better so nothing wrong with wishing on that star haha. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Beach Snow said:

From DT on twitter. As much as i don’t like him he has a point. Wonder if this will cause implications for the Friday event?

0E72D761-4A49-41EF-8932-99982C8E72FD.jpeg

Isn't the HRRR pretty notorious for this? Looking at global model runs it doesn't look like that cold front is delayed really. Haven't really looked at real time data though. That will say one way or another. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, burgertime said:

Isn't the HRRR pretty notorious for this? Looking at global model runs it doesn't look like that cold front is delayed really. Haven't really looked at real time data though. That will say one way or another. 

I was going to say… it’s like the only one that had the rapid snow transition down to Richmond. Everything else looks about right 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, burgertime said:

Hmmm... this was the 00z run from last night. So maybe he's on to something here. 

00z_radar_precip_type.png

Later than modeled, yes.  But the temps are starting to dive quickly coming through middle VA and down into the foothills areas.  It's coming.  Even my local point and click here in the Triad didn't have us flipping to snow until this evening (if we get any snow).

EDIT - GFS looks pretty much exactly like what is happening over the next 6 hours or so to me.  Would be all snow across the northern tier of NC by 7pm assuming we have any precip left.  

• Like 1