Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 20-22 “bring the mojo” winter storm threat

lilj4425

4 minutes ago, Midnight Moon said:

I did not know this.  So why so much angst?

I recall about a year ago someone put up verification scores of GFS and despite everyone discounting the 18Z it turned out they were all about equal. So data ingestion aside, I'm not sure it's a good reason to just discard a run because it's a mid-run.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StantonParkHoya said:

I used to think he was just a kid so I’d cut him some slack. That was 13 years ago.

im surprised the heavy sanitarium talk gets allowed in this thread.  Back when i posted here more regularly years ago, if you talked about busts and what not in this type of thread, you'd get bopped back to the stone age.

• Like 11

Just now, RTPGiants said:

I recall about a year ago someone put up verification scores of GFS and despite everyone discounting the 18Z it turned out they were all about equal. So data ingestion aside, I'm not sure it's a good reason to just discard a run because it's a mid-run.

I thought the whole data ingestion myth had been dispelled on here some time ago?

3 minutes ago, Avdave said:

You have been this way for a long time here. Its just weather. If it happens good, if it doesnt, life goes on.  Get a grip on reality

I agree. But it still doesn't mean it's crazy to either have the Euro be totally off or have the NAM make such a dramatic change in 12 hours and only 48 hours out. It's just a message board.

Just now, Brick Tamland said:

I agree. But it still doesn't mean it's crazy to either have the Euro be totally off or have the NAM make such a dramatic change in 12 hours and only 48 hours out. It's just a message board.

why is it crazy? this is not the first time or will it be the last. You know how hard it is to forecast winter weather down south.  Model chaos is almost expected. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, wxdawg10 said:

why is it crazy? this is not the first time or will it be the last. You know how hard it is to forecast winter weather down south.  Model chaos is almost expected. 

It's a lot better that it's snow instesd of something like a tornado outbreak catching people off guard. I just think in this day and age the technology should be better to have such differences in the models and such dramatic changes this close to go time and. But it is what it is. It will either snow or not. Maybe it would be better to just wait and see what happens instesd of trying to see what the models show might happen. 

Anyway, Dr Rick says no more talking about how awful the models are. 

14 minutes ago, Avdave said:

Major winter storm in the Triangle?  What is she looking at? Maybe for Elizabeth City. 

Not Triangle the viewing area.  I suspect points around Rocky Mount are going to get a bigger hit.  I appreciated her info on why they didn't give in to the short range models right now.  As always the northwest trend seems to happen in these parts. 

If the models were always right, there would be little fun in meteorology (at least the forecasting aspect of it). We could all just look at what our weather apps printed out and go about our day.

The learning, the chasing, the gut instincts, and the insight from years of studying this awesome, dynamic, always-changing atmosphere....that's what makes forecasting fun. 

Forecasting winter weather is hands-down the most difficult and complex forecasting I do. But those are the same reasons it is my favorite type of forecasting. I welcome the challenge and always try to come away a little wiser from each system. 

Enjoy the ride. Learn. Be fascinated by the atmosphere. 

....We now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming...

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brick Tamland said:

It's a lot better that it's snow instesd of something looe a tornado outbreak catching people off guard. I just think in this day and age the technology should be better to have such differences in the models and such dramatic changes this close to go time and. But it is what it is. It will either snow or not. Maybe it would be better to just wait and see what happens instesd of trying to see what the models show might happen. 

comparing the ability to forecast snow correctly in this climate to tornado outbreaks shows just how out of touch you are.  Seriously, take your whining about the models to the sanitarium thread.  People are in this thread for actual discussion of what the models are showing and the actual storm

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, JoshWeather said:

comparing the ability to forecast snow correctly in this climate to tornado outbreaks shows just how out of touch you are.  Seriously, take your whining about the models to the sanitarium thread.  People are in this thread for actual discussion of what the models are showing and the actual storm

Yet you still replied. And I was just stating the fact that it is a good thing they are not as bad at predicting tornado outbreaks as they are winter storms here. And I said I was done talking about it. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Not Triangle the viewing area.  I suspect points around Rocky Mount are going to get a bigger hit.  I appreciated her info on why they didn't give in to the short range models right now.  As always the northwest trend seems to happen in these parts. 

she did mention the triangle area.

"We will still see impactful winter weather and accumulations on Thursday night (including the Triangle) and parts of our viewing area will still see a major winter storm Friday"