• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 20-22 “bring the mojo” winter storm threat

lilj4425

We're going to be in some very rare territory to have such an isolated event east of RDU...heck almost east of 95 the way this is trending!  Not sure the 2014 analog shared earlier aligns with this event as being modeled now.  

I see some parsing of words coming from RAH on their WWW as it relates to western counties.  We'll be lucky to see an inch across the triad.

• Like 2

Does anyone else find it humorous…. Ppl that actually know what they’re doing still saying 1-4” all the way back to 321 area…. And 4-6” in Raleigh even after these runs yet this entire forum is in panic mode? I think this is a case of knowing too much for our own good…. Stop taking these computers as gospel positive or negative for your back yard…. 

• Like 9

Just now, PantherJustin said:

Does anyone else find it humorous…. Ppl that actually know what they’re doing still saying 1-4” all the way back to 321 area…. And 4-6” in Raleigh even after these runs yet this entire forum is in panic mode? I think this is a case of knowing too much for our own good…. Stop taking these computers as gospel positive or negative for your back yard…. 

I believe it's more so of the trend towards less and less precip...

• Like 1

I'm thinking most of us know how to read the models decently and the trend is quite apparent.  Unless the Euro comes in and shows something unexpected, the overall tone related to the upcoming storm will change with the afternoon packages.  I hope I'm wrong and we get a Jan 25 2000 redux.  

By the way Justin, how much snow/sleet did you guys get there at the lake?

TW

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tarheelwx said:

I'm thinking most of us know how to read the models decently and the trend is quite apparent.  Unless the Euro comes in and shows something unexpected, the overall tone related to the upcoming storm will change with the afternoon packages.  I hope I'm wrong and we get a Jan 25 2000 redux.  

By the way Justin, how much snow/sleet did you guys get there at the lake?

TW

4.5” IMBY 

• Like 1

Below is my first accumulation map for the winter weather expected to impact the Carolinas Thursday Night through Saturday Morning. While I am not expecting wintry weather the whole entire time, waves of moisture are expected to cause periods of wintry weather.
The highest snow totals are expected in the northeastern part of the state. I am expecting 4-8 inches in NE NC. As we move towards the Raleigh metro, 3-6 inches of snow is expected. Lower amounts as you move further south, but these areas are expected to have more freezing rain. Southeastern NC needs to plan for the possibility of power outages with freezing rain possibly approaching a half of an inch.
For western NC and the western piedmont, lower amounts of snow are expected as you will be further away from the best moisture and low pressure center. A trace to an inch is possible in the mountains and foothills, with 1-2 inches possible for I-77, including Charlotte.

1192022-FZ.png

1192022-SN.png

• Like 6

This actually makes more sense, in that those ice totals were never really realistic for NE SC/ENC. Those are not ice favored areas. They traditionally receive snow or rain. This is turning into a classic coastal deal that we used to see more of in the 80s. Consider Christmas 1989, a foot of snow+ was really confined to Hwy 17 from Jacksonville to Elizabeth City.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, WxJordan said:

Below is my first accumulation map for the winter weather expected to impact the Carolinas Thursday Night through Saturday Morning. While I am not expecting wintry weather the whole entire time, waves of moisture are expected to cause periods of wintry weather.
The highest snow totals are expected in the northeastern part of the state. I am expecting 4-8 inches in NE NC. As we move towards the Raleigh metro, 3-6 inches of snow is expected. Lower amounts as you move further south, but these areas are expected to have more freezing rain. Southeastern NC needs to plan for the possibility of power outages with freezing rain possibly approaching a half of an inch.
For western NC and the western piedmont, lower amounts of snow are expected as you will be further away from the best moisture and low pressure center. A trace to an inch is possible in the mountains and foothills, with 1-2 inches possible for I-77, including Charlotte.

1192022-FZ.png

1192022-SN.png

This would align with my thoughts, just take 1 inch off every total there across the board 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, olafminesaw said:

Sounding that does not inspire confidence (although much improved a few hours later). We'll see hours upon hours of flizzard conditions, with a 3-6 hour window for light to moderate accumulations

download (5).png

Yuck, talk about lack of saturation through the column. Definitely going to struggle on the outside edge of this. Very cold dry air 

21 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Yuck, talk about lack of saturation through the column. Definitely going to struggle on the outside edge of this. Very cold dry air 

Almost reminds me of lake effect snow showers in Pittsburgh. At least you can get decent squalls with that, but it amazes me how any given January day, there's a high chance of seeing light snow showers. Kinda takes the fun out snow.