Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 20-22 “bring the mojo” winter storm threat

lilj4425

10 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

I think that since this, a lot of things changed. The tv mets have changed their thinking from this idea above to what the NWS and other private mets/hobbyists are thinking and that’s a central NC and eastward storm. But, we will see. 

1 minute ago, Brick Tamland said:

Euro was magnificent last night.

Brick, I’ve been a lurker for many years with a random post here or there.  We are not far from each other from what I can gather from your posts over the years.  

I think the models are all getting on the same page.  Looks from the models we are in a good spot for our area.  Barring any warm nose which has spoiled our fun the past several storms over the years.   Should be fun to watch it unfold.  Hope everything holds through the day today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

Better than expected. Many would take this in a heartbeat (although note that the fringes will shrink with time as the forecast gets nailed down)

snowfall_acc.us_state_nc_va (1).png

Is there an analog storm that has pasted the Charleston WV to GSP to Fayetteville to RDU to DC to Philly to this extent?

The Charlotte metro and surrounding area is an incredibly difficult call as it all hinges on a very subtle (in the overall scheme of the atmosphere) NW expansion of the back edge of the snow shield. I mean these are very small differences when looking at the atmosphere as a whole, but the result has been very wild swings in possible snow totals in that part of the region, even just over the course of the 0z and 6z runs. 

6z vs. 0z Euro:

154431901_ECMWF_WeatherBellMaps(1).thumb.png.82193007c48d05120838625b8d61a769.png

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, msuwx said:

The Charlotte metro and surrounding area is an incredibly difficult call as it all hinges on a very subtle (in the overall scheme of the atmosphere) NW expansion of the back edge of the snow shield. I mean these are very small differences when looking at the atmosphere as a whole, but the result has been very wild swings in possible snow totals in that part of the region, even just over the course of the 0z and 6z runs. 

6z vs. 0z Euro:

154431901_ECMWF_WeatherBellMaps(1).thumb.png.82193007c48d05120838625b8d61a769.png

Do you still think your overall thoughts from yesterday with the map are the same?

7 minutes ago, msuwx said:

6z vs. 0z Euro:

It's going to be painful for those on the N and W fringes watching the precip run into a wall of dry air for hours and hours

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, CntrTim85 said:

I'm literally licking my lips in Hampton Roads. Well 5 min from the NC/VA border. We haven't had a decent snow in 4 years. I'm in Disney and our last day is Thursday. Seen a lot of different timing starts. Should we leave Thursday night or be okay for super early Friday morning? Thanks!

We live very near you then, most of the local folks are giving an onset time in the early morning hours Friday. So if you are flying into Norfolk Friday morning you might be cutting it kind of close. NWS has mentioned an inch of snow overnight Thursday with Hampton Roads not expecting a break between systems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, msuwx said:

6z vs. 0z Euro:

Thanks Matt. The 06Z brings the shield westward to bank up against the hills. Sightly...   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, eyewall said:

1642896000-EQdnETaeEoU.png

1642896000-YBP4SyTxgLo.png

1642896000-f25asOgJhik.png

1642896000-ZpW7sSfh3PI.png

Juicy snow totals for NE NC if it happens as depicted on these. NWS Wakefield seems to be buying off on a warm nose holding for awhile, will be interesting to see where that sets up as to if the higher totals in NE NC actually realize. I saw the warm nose in the forecast soundings from the 12z in yesterday's GFS but haven't seen the latest if it has been consistent or not.