Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 20-22 “bring the mojo” winter storm threat

lilj4425

4 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

I'll defer to you here certainly Matt but are you seeing severe ice in the Triangle?

I wouldn't sound too many alarms just yet, but the ice signal looks a little stronger on this one from afar to me. 

• Like 1

One thing is it's very important to keep in mind a purely snow event in the triangle is extremely rare. Even Jan 2000 started as a good amount of rain before changing over to snow. We had 20 inches out of that when I was in Southern Pines after hours of cold rain. If we get a bit of snow and a little sleet, the sleet will make any snowpack hang around quite a bit longer. Of course for photos I need it to be in the trees too. I only wish I was a photog in 2000 and had drone tech then.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Sandstorm94 said:

NAM with the hot hande41b9f3fdcb93fe63b7367f490428b29.jpg

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

Looks realistic. The warm nose has been much more of a problem recently in NC. I think someone mentioned above average water temps which could be caused by global warming. I cannot remember who mentioned this though. 

• Like 2

I’ll take anything as long as it stays below freezing once the wintry precipitation starts and that there is enough snow or sleet to shovel. This looks like a good bet to get 1-3” of snow or sleet in the triangle with brutally cold temps. Honestly I don’t care if it’s just sleet 2” of sleet is a good storm to me. Models certainly showing a warm nose but steadfast on frigid surface temps. Keep the freezing rain out and this (and with these profiles it looks like an expansive sleet storm) will be a great storm regardless of total snowfall. Models are trending towards this type of storm and I’m perfectly ok with that!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I’ll take anything as long as it stays below freezing once the wintry precipitation starts and that there is enough snow or sleet to shovel. This looks like a good bet to get 1-3” of snow or sleet in the triangle with brutally cold temps. Honestly I don’t care if it’s just sleet 2” of sleet is a good storm to me. Models certainly showing a warm nose but steadfast on frigid surface temps. Keep the freezing rain out and this (and with these profiles it looks like an expansive sleet storm) will be a great storm regardless of total snowfall. Models are trending towards this type of storm and I’m perfectly ok with that!

This fellow North Raleigh poster completely agrees with you!  I won’t be greedy at all. 1”-3” would be perfect.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gman said:

Wow. The filthy language in that tweet is not worthy to be on this forum

Well, it was a twitter post he linked. We all know twitter can be a ceaspool.  But seriously, I consider this more of a family setting, and should be treated as such. Thanks for speaking up gman!!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Snow dog said:

Cant believe Justus would post that graphic (possible 8" in upstate).  It's what got him in trouble in his earlier years, and really hurt his reputation..

It wasn’t Chris who posted it. One of the other mets at WYFF did. Maybe he had to approve it though first due to being chief met. Not sure.