Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 20-22 “bring the mojo” winter storm threat

lilj4425

3 minutes ago, Beach Snow said:

Pretty significant NW jump from 0z to 6z…. Going to need that to come back SE..Low looks to climb the coat vs slide ENE

Yeah, the control did jump NW. But remember that's really just one member of the ensemble package. 

Any changes in the ensemble mean from 0z to 6z were quite negligible. 

1001892720_ECMWFENS_WeatherBellMaps(1).thumb.png.9ed8aeade94ac061aa1bdc1a260d1561.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, msuwx said:

Yeah, the control did jump NW. But remember that's really just one member of the ensemble package. 

Any changes in the ensemble mean from 0z to 6z were quite negligible. 

1001892720_ECMWFENS_WeatherBellMaps(1).thumb.png.9ed8aeade94ac061aa1bdc1a260d1561.png

Appreciate the insight i noticed that too on the ensembles and also the panels still a lot of southern solutions

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.89a333666f2d130a5d164b68e0287480.png

To me, I think that the battle lines are set today. Going to use the Canadian from last night because it's a good example of our "dudes out on the field". The northern energy drops in from the plains. We want this energy to be stronger and nudging further to the SW; our dud runs are when this trough stays too positively tilted and just can't get anything to pop. The southern energy comes from Cali/Arizona and we want it to be quicker; our dud runs come when it's held back. It's a shame that we have to deal with this because Baja/Mexi lows have the predictability/reliability of orange cats (you know the type). 

So far it seems a host of solutions are on the table. The runs where the Zona shortwave is held back make this plains shortwave dominant and we just have to hope it is digging enough/strong enough to pop something. 

The runs where the Zona energy kinda mingles with our northern stuff (saw this with Canadian) will be murky. The end product would depend on how cute the models get with fluid dynamics but generally it looks like the trough would be large/south enough to bring some good moisture transport but positively tilted/sheared enough to cause ptype issues. 1.28.2014 is the obvious analog here.

The runs where the Zona energy comes together in melodious harmony with our northern energy (yesterday's 12z Canadian) would be iconic southeast winter events.

Famous last words here but the surface temps shouldn't be an issue with this cold press. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

To me, I think that the battle lines are set today. Going to use the Canadian from last night because it's a good example of our "dudes out on the field". The northern energy drops in from the plains. We want this energy to be stronger and nudging further to the SW; our dud runs are when this trough stays too positively tilted and just can't get anything to pop. The southern energy comes from Cali/Arizona and we want it to be quicker; our dud runs come when it's held back. It's a shame that we have to deal with this because Baja/Mexi lows have the predictability/reliability of orange cats (you know the type). 

So far it seems a host of solutions are on the table. The runs where the Zona shortwave is held back make this plains shortwave dominant and we just have to hope it is digging enough/strong enough to pop something. 

The runs where the Zona energy kinda mingles with our northern stuff (saw this with Canadian) will be murky. The end product would depend on how cute the models get with fluid dynamics but generally it looks like the trough would be large/south enough to bring some good moisture transport but positively tilted/sheared enough to cause ptype issues. 1.28.2014 is the obvious analog here.

The runs where the Zona energy comes together in melodious harmony with our northern energy (yesterday's 12z Canadian) would be iconic southeast winter events.

Famous last words here but the surface temps shouldn't be an issue with this cold press. 

Thanks Ross.  This is good knowledge to have.  When it comes to Raleigh though for the upcoming storm what is looking like our culprit for mixing issues?  Is it the low track with 850 warm nose this time?  Goodness we have the cold setting in and would think it deeper/better press than this past weekend and we are not getting some crazy wind-up storm like just went through.  This is overrunning more or less right?

1 minute ago, StantonParkHoya said:

tempted to start a sub-thread for the Raleigh-East crew. I don’t think we’re all rooting for the same thing. 

This is the pinned thread for this system. We all realize everyone wants different things to happen, but there only needs to be one discussion thread. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buckeyefan1 said:

This is the pinned thread for this system. We all realize everyone wants different things to happen, but there only needs to be one discussion thread. 

I think people need to qualify statements like: “crush job”, “looks awesome”, etc. It’s really annoying when someone from Hickory or southern VA throws that out and it’s rain for the eastern half of the state.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

I legit spit my drink on the bolded :lol:  Perfect analogy

6 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

tempted to start a sub-thread for the Raleigh-East crew. I don’t think we’re all rooting for the same thing. 

I am just as salty as anyone right now after the miss with this last system but that will just be a mess if we try that I think. We can bitch and moan in the Sanitarium. They have a coffee mug there with my name on it.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, StantonParkHoya said:

I think people need to qualify statements like: “crush job”, “looks awesome”, etc. It’s really annoying when someone from Hickory or southern VA throws that out and it’s rain for the eastern half of the state.

I feel your pain and hope that everyone understands that these statements are imby dependent. There are a lot of us that do our best to cover everyone's backyard and if someone needs an explanation of why it isn't working out for them, we have the most awesome mets and hobbyists who can assist with their learning curve. Otherwise, the sanitarium is the place for being disgruntled, salty, excited, scared, and everything in between. ^_^ 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

While I agree… You have to know Where you live, you know how your Climo is and how you fair in certain events. Imo if you live East of I-95 you should always Go into it expecting your Climo to Fail you regardless of a what a computer says. Yesterday was a prime example of that yet Again those of us In Favored areas that normally do well with that setup did …. Those of us who don’t …. Didn’t. A computer is guidance and it’s important sure but overall in the end history normally repeats itself so there’s no need to be upset about it ect this would be like someone in Monroe being pissed they didn’t get 3-6” Yesterday while 60 miles NW in Iredell we did. I get the dissatisfaction being in CLT area trust me…. But it’s just life 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Thanks Ross.  This is good knowledge to have.  When it comes to Raleigh though for the upcoming storm what is looking like our culprit for mixing issues?  Is it the low track with 850 warm nose this time?  Goodness we have the cold setting in and would think it deeper/better press than this past weekend and we are not getting some crazy wind-up storm like just went through.  This is overrunning more or less right?

As of now yeah it's more or less overrunning. I'm sort of struggling with that "why does RDU have mixing issues in some runs" question. I'm settling on this: The "strung out, positively tilted" look is just generally no bueno for straight snow. I think there's likely some sort of destructive interference going on between the two waves that just kill them both and cause the general trough complex to slow and stall. If they stall, lower heights can never really press into the Carolinas and we're just simply left with warmer mid-level air. No crazy dynamics overamping stuff going on, we just would't be able to cool those mid levels sufficiently in that spot. 

I do think that the surface cold press is here to stay. Crazy cold air masses can and do undercut warmer mid level air, i mean, how do you think places like Missouri get ice storms? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

The icon looks good for a long duration moderate event for the climo favored regions of the central NC Piedmont (the Icon is trash I know, but better than discussing, well... not weather)

Icon didn’t do terrible for the past storm its been showing the signal over the last few days