• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Winter Weenie Twilight Zone

40/70 Benchmark

Imagine if you will being in a season and a foreign land in which winter does not suck and KU set ups will not produce rain...you unlock the door to another dimension of winter ecstasy with the key of weenie imagination...beyond it is another dimension of snow, a dimension of wind, and a dimension free of subsidence, Hadley Cells and deconstructive wave interference. You are moving into a land of both deformation and CSI banding....you are crossing over into the Winter Weenie Twilight Zone-

You have ONE storm to replicate in your back yard....what will it be?

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, SouthCoastMA said:

That's a tough one...but gotta be Jan 22 2005

close runner up, especially for my current residence, would be Jan 2015

Yea, it would be Jan 22, 2005 on the cape for me. My sister had a summer house in Falmouth at the time....and I stayed home in Wilmington.

Will never forgive myself.

‘78 Blizzard. Nothing like being out of school for 3 weeks when you’re 11 y.o. The conditions, drifts, societal impacts made it the storm of my lifetime.

Feb. 8-9, 2013 is probably next best.

And for a surprise storm Dec. 6, 1981. Foot to foot and a half was completely unexpected. Wind stayed Northerly the whole storm to avoid changeover. Everything was pasted.

I think over by Rockport and Goucester, I would pick the January 1978 event...before the OV and SNE blizzards. A bit further down by Peabody, Danvers and Lynn....toss up between 12-05-03 and 1-22-05, but I would have to go with the latter bc there was already a deep antecedent snowpack.

• Like 1

The Great Blizzard of 1888

It sits in the Parthenon of CT blizzards with 1978 and 2013. Long duration monster with exceptional drifting. 

Blizzard1888BankStreetWaterbury-e1371602 

path88.jpg

Runner up would be February 1899

While not the biggest event we've seen here in the region, the combination of snow and extraordinary cold across much of the US would be a sight to behold today. To see -2 in Tallahassee just defies logic today. Hell it's hard for me to even imagine a place like HFD going -5 now lol. 

UuLpUw0.png

0VrGcBY.png

https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/wefo/3/4/1520-0434_1988_003_0305_tgaoae_2_0_co_2.xml?tab_body=pdf

• Like 2

February 6, 1978     I wish I was a little bit older (I was 10) at the time and had a decent camera (and film)

Absolute weather pinnacle for me so far                       

National Guard front end loaders clearing the streets.  Walking 2 miles to the grocery store dragging a sled.  Best snow forts ever.  Extended school break since the roof collapsed.   Amazing storm as it was happening too.  Thundersnow.  Roaring jet engine overhead for hours.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

February 6, 1978     I wish I was a little bit older (I was 10) at the time and had a decent camera (and film)

Absolute weather pinnacle for me so far                       

National Guard front end loaders clearing the streets.  Walking 2 miles to the grocery store dragging a sled.  Best snow forts ever.  Extended school break since the roof collapsed.   Amazing storm as it was happening too.  Thundersnow.  Roaring jet engine overhead for hours.    

No real memories of it personally.  Just stories.  My mom was picked up at the end of our street and was at Norwood hospital working, leaving my dad to take care of us.  Was the same walk to shaws up oak street for food.  I remember the talk of the school roof collapse. Was the one up on mechanic?  Don’t recall name.  

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

No real memories of it personally.  Just stories.  My mom was picked up at the end of our street and was at Norwood hospital working, leaving my dad to take care of us.  Was the same walk to shaws up oak street for food.  I remember the talk of the school roof collapse. Was the one up on mechanic?  Don’t recall name.  

Lewis School.      And it wasn’t Shaw’s then. It was still BPM. Lol.  

• Like 1