Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Storm Izzy Obs Thread

Just now, wncsnow said:

The Hi Res NAM and Nam is general sucked for this storm

Yes they did and it caused GSP to really bust on the snow forecast. 

I will get at least 6 inches here in Valdese maybe more. Just over 5 inches now and its coming down hard. Radar looks good also.

• Like 2

We got about 6 inches of snow before the sleet mixed in. It's now 26 degrees with all sleet and howling winds. This storm has gone from fun and games to downright scary. Also, I was looking at future radar returns. If that moisture out in Alabama holds together, look out. We are going to either get hit with another round of heavy snow or a crippling ice storm. 

Snow started around 5:20 am and we've picked up about 2 inches.  Very fine flakes at sunrise.  The last hour has been much heavier with larger flakes (more accumulation), but that is probably the first sign of warming air aloft.  Just hearing my first pingers begin to mix in at 9:27 am.  Hate to see this with 21 degree temps and really hope it doesn't change to rain here.

2 minutes ago, gman said:

We got about 6 inches of snow before the sleet mixed in. It's now 26 degrees with all sleet and howling winds. This storm has gone from fun and games to downright scary. Also, I was looking at future radar returns. If that moisture out in Alabama holds together, look out. We are going to either get hit with another round of heavy snow or a crippling ice storm. 

I think that’s the wraparound snow that could visit us.  Let’s pray it’s snow and not ice!

4 minutes ago, gman said:

That qpf back out west in Alabama will be snow when it gets here thankfully. I believe it’s the deform band. 

22 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

Yeah people seem to remember the NAM wins and forget the miserable showings in between.

HRRR seems promising for limiting ZR accumulation in NC. Hopefully it’s not too bad.

Outside of the front end thump being heavier than expected to the tune of an inch or two extra snow for a few upstate counties, has the NAM been that bad with this storm? Seems to have nailed it for areas east of 85 so far