Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

5 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I guess the part that is a disconnect w/ radar being touted as the problem....is that bye and large, its mostly weather weenies like us that would be hyperfocused on a radar screen in search of snow.  Moreover, even if it existed, it might help fill small donut holes, but when CTP issued a snow squall warning and it pops on screen, that's really all they can do is heighten awareness.  It still falls on said individual to heed warning.  Most of us have seen the videos in the last couple days, and when its a white out like we saw....that falls on the driver to slow down.  Again, I've been guilty of it, so I'm not taking ANY high road here, but from what I saw, many of those folks were really cruisin along IMO.  

Completely agreed.  I believe that article mentioned though that the squall-induced crash on I-81 happened at 10:30am but that the NWS "had made no observations of snow squalls in the area of the crash in I-81 until it sent out warnings at 12:15pm".  The implication there seems to be that even CTP didn't have a grasp on that squall line and had not sent out warnings for that area, which if true, is highly problematic.  

16 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I guess the part that is a disconnect w/ radar being touted as the problem....is that bye and large, its mostly weather weenies like us that would be hyperfocused on a radar screen in search of snow.  Moreover, even if it existed, it might help fill small donut holes, but when CTP issued a snow squall warning and it pops on screen, that's really all they can do is heighten awareness.  It still falls on said individual to heed warning.  Most of us have seen the videos in the last couple days, and when its a white out like we saw....that falls on the driver to slow down.  Again, I've been guilty of it, so I'm not taking ANY high road here, but from what I saw, many of those folks were really cruisin along IMO.  

7 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Completely agreed.  I believe that article mentioned though that the squall-induced crash on I-81 happened at 10:30am but that the NWS "had made no observations of snow squalls in the area of the crash in I-81 until it sent out warnings at 12:15pm".  The implication there seems to be that even CTP didn't have a grasp on that squall line and had not sent out warnings for that area, which if true, is highly problematic.  

Here's a sidebar problem to this awareness situation - wife and I traveled to Philly last night for the 19th time since the end of October. It was at least the 4th time that the electronic highway signs on 283, 30, and 222 were all announcing "Winter Weather Expected..." which in this case, was for this morning. My wife sees this and starts laughing...I look at her and ask what's so funny, and she goes on and on about "the stupid signs talking about winter weather that never happens". She's right...every one of those instances where the signage indicated winter weather was coming...it never did. So now, we have people like my wife who see those signs and immediately dismiss them because they're just not believable to so many people.

It's a can't win situation. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

At the end of the day....common sense still plays a large part of how we roll, and as of now, no computer can replace that.  Down the road....maybe so.  Hopefully not in my lifetime.  I dont want to be prrogrammed...and subject to malware in my brain. ;)

9 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I think his intention was to simply be positive and realistic at the same time. 

Nah...he likes to troll me..we all see it. 

My posts regarding the weather and where we are going....while negative in tone...are nothing more than being 100% realistic. 

Has March been cold...yeah...

Has it been anomalously cold...not IMO...but likely below normal.  

Has it snowed much down here......natsomuch and in my locale....hardly a flake. 

I'm sure a large portion of us here could say that outside of some snowshowers/squalls, its been much the same.....backsided and boring. THAT's the point I've been trying to drive home, as most of us snow hounds want snow with stickage. 

He suggested March should definitely be considered a winter month.  Totally agree, and always have, but that doesn't have a 1 to 1 correlation w/ snow and in this pattern, not enough has changed (even as the wavelengths started to, and can still be something that factors in as we approach true spring). truth is %'s drop like a stone from early March to where  we are now.  

Showing a 200+hr snowmap when almost in April....ok....you do you, but for sake of argument...doesn't hold much water...or snow. Give me more than that....and I'll be glad to listen/chat it up. 

My feeling is and has been that we've just not had the timing right this year, and I feel that will continue into the backside of whatever winter we have left here.  You, I and others have been in agreement wrt to this.  I've never discounted the normal snowbelts as being able to do well into March.  They always have and always will, but bye and large that's not really most of us. MAG, 2001, Pawatch and whomever else is NW of us are the envy of the forum snowwise for where they live and in this pattern, can cash in while we watch.  Happy for them.

It's a weather discussion board, and I take the time to throw reasoning (right or wrong) as to why I feel the way I do, but don't appreciate being trolled w/out data/reasoning as to why I'm wrong.  I make no claims to be an expert, but I come here to chat up weather w/ good folks....

Rant over....good luck to all that get your 7 snowflakes, before it turns to rain.  I'm happy for those that enjoy it.  

40 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Here's a sidebar problem to this awareness situation - wife and I traveled to Philly last night for the 19th time since the end of October. It was at least the 4th time that the electronic highway signs on 283, 30, and 222 were all announcing "Winter Weather Expected..." which in this case, was for this morning. My wife sees this and starts laughing...I look at her and ask what's so funny, and she goes on and on about "the stupid signs talking about winter weather that never happens". She's right...every one of those instances where the signage indicated winter weather was coming...it never did. So now, we have people like my wife who see those signs and immediately dismiss them because they're just not believable to so many people.

It's a can't win situation. 

Thats a very fair point and why heightening awareness is all we can really do (unless y'all want the GPS to control your speed :lol:).  Common sense still is the biggest factor in this IMO.

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

Nah...he likes to troll me..we all see it. 

My posts regarding the weather and where we are going....while negative in tone...are nothing more than being 100% realistic. 

Has March been cold...yeah...

Has it been anomalously cold...not IMO...but likely below normal.  

Has it snowed much down here......natsomuch and in my locale....hardly a flake. 

I'm sure a large portion of us here could say that outside of some snowshowers/squalls, its been much the same.....backsided and boring. THAT's the point I've been trying to drive home, as most of us snow hounds want snow with stickage. 

He suggested March should definitely be considered a winter month.  Totally agree, and always have, but that doesn't have a 1 to 1 correlation w/ snow and in this pattern, not enough has changed (even as the wavelengths started to, and can still be something that factors in as we approach true spring). truth is %'s drop like a stone from early March to where  we are now.  

Showing a 200+hr snowmap when almost in April....ok....you do you, but for sake of argument...doesn't hold much water...or snow. Give me more than that....and I'll be glad to listen/chat it up. 

My feeling is and has been that we've just not had the timing right this year, and I feel that will continue into the backside of whatever winter we have left here.  You, I and others have been in agreement wrt to this.  I've never discounted the normal snowbelts as being able to do well into March.  They always have and always will, but bye and large that's not really most of us. MAG, 2001, Pawatch and whomever else is NW of us are the envy of the forum snowwise for where they live and in this pattern, can cash in while we watch.  Happy for them.

It's a weather discussion board, and I take the time to throw reasoning (right or wrong) as to why I feel the way I do, but don't appreciate being trolled w/out data/reasoning as to why I'm wrong.  I make no claims to be an expert, but I come here to chat up weather w/ good folks....

Rant over....good luck to all that get your 7 snowflakes, before it turns to rain.  I'm happy for those that enjoy it.  

I wasn't by any means posting an April 10th map saying it was going to snow, like I said I was posting it to keep faith as it shows some opportunity albeit slight for sure.  It can snow in May like last year but it doesn't accum. I just like seeing flakes especially in April/May if it can happen 99.9% says no it won't happen. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, paweather said:

I wasn't by any means posting an April 10th map saying it was going to snow, like I said I was posting it to keep faith as it shows some opportunity albeit slight for sure.  It can snow in May like year but it doesn't accum. I just like seeing flakes especially in April/May if it can happen 99.9% says no it won't happen. 

In my opinion you by no means need to explain yourself to anyone, man.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I failed... :(

Your FIRED...........:P

and actually I'm pissed, cause I'm really tired of cold withOUT snow.  Let's just end this already. 

My son said they have to "rebuild" parts of 81 and was telling me a bit how they do it last night (he used to be a firefighter for a handful of years).  Crazy stuff.

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

At the end of the day....common sense still plays a large part of how we roll, and as of now, no computer can replace that.  Down the road....maybe so.  Hopefully not in my lifetime.  I dont want to be prrogrammed...and subject to malware in my brain. ;)

Well I couldn't agree with you anymore on that haha.  But really I just want better radar coverage for our area.  It's that simple.

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

Your FIRED...........

and actually I'm pissed, cause I'm really tired of cold withOUT snow.  Let's just end this already. 

My son said they have to "rebuild" parts of 81 and was telling me a bit how they do it last night (he used to be a firefighter for a handful of years).  Crazy stuff.

I figured that fire melted some of the pavement up there. I guess the tanker truck, which I figure was ground zero for the fire, was reduced to just the frame, wheels, axles, and engine. The entire cab melted and burned up. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, paweather said:

I wasn't by any means posting an April 10th map saying it was going to snow, like I said I was posting it to keep faith as it shows some opportunity albeit slight for sure.  It can snow in May like last year but it doesn't accum. I just like seeing flakes especially in April/May if it can happen 99.9% says no it won't happen. 

I know bud.  It's all good w/ you.  Just tempering expectations with more than a snow map.  Hope you understand/appreciate what I'm sayin.

I'm old enough to be allowed to be snakebit.  Keep rollin on...you'll get one eventually (hopefully not May).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Well I couldn't agree with you anymore on that haha.  But really I just want better radar coverage for our area.  It's that simple.

I get ya.  I've "not seen" the blob enough to understand, but also feel that even if they can get that blob to fill in someday, that the real solution still will be a large dose of common sense...and no computer can fix that........yet.

2 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I figured that fire melted some of the pavement up there. I guess the tanker truck, which I figure was ground zero for the fire, was reduced to just the frame, wheels, axles, and engine. The entire cab melted and burned up. 

thats exactly what he was suggesting and shared a brief overview of the process of how its done.

25 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Updated information from PSP on the I-81 crash in Schuylkill County:

6 confirmed dead.

24 injured and transported to 4 local hospitals.

80 total vehicles involved (39 commercial vehicles and 41 passenger vehicles).

I-81 is now open in both directions.

Mercy.  What a horrible accident.  Really really sad.

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

Hopefully.

I'm tired of wearing half a load of laundry every day to work...lol

The end of the GFS shows signs of Spring kicking in.  It will change in 6 hours but first time I have noticed it in a week or two of runs so probably a sign its coming (Mid April).  Certainly not overly cold before then but lots of "chilly" nights. 

• Haha 1