Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

33 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Hearing reports of snow covered driveways in Greencastle as the next round approaches.   Outside the May snow we recently had, this is a pretty amazing post Winter day over here.  West LSV as well.  Snow accums in Western Cumberland county.   Also, rumors of a snow wrapped funnel cloud new Taneytown, MD today.   Have found no confirmation of that however.

image.png.36fca9fc3568ac24cd22b7362fa9a720.png

Remarkable stuff - hard to imagine how different it is/was given how close we are relatively speaking. Nothing wintry here whatsoever. 

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Remarkable stuff - hard to imagine how different it is/was given how close we are relatively speaking. Nothing wintry here whatsoever. 

The snow in Frederick is the most amazing thing to me.  That is Central MD and not really at elevation. Not often you see snow at 50 degrees. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I've witnessed both sleet and graupel at temps near 50 but never snow - that really is impressive stuff. 

I would use the word dying parachute or mangled to portray it.  When not coming down hard it was instant water on the windshield. But it came down so hard at one point I had some accumulation going along the windshield wipers. I saw the storm that went through Taneytown....from afar.  Lots of lightning and very foreboding to its look.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I've witnessed both sleet and graupel at temps near 50 but never snow - that really is impressive stuff. 

PS, lots of very good pics of the event in the MA forum.  Some had graupel and some snow.   Graupel will  not melt on the windshield when it hits so easy to tell the difference when driving.  Saw another report of snow and 50 so Frederick was nothing as the event made it all the way down in VA.  NW Baltimore County report of Thundersnow.    Probably related to the funnel cloud that went through Taneytown.   The crazy thing was all the snow you could see in the sky around the systems.  Sheets of it as you approached. 

27 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

PS, lots of very good pics of the event in the MA forum.  Some had graupel and some snow.   Graupel will  not melt on the windshield when it hits so easy to tell the difference when driving.  Saw another report of snow and 50 so Frederick was nothing as the event made it all the way down in VA.  NW Baltimore County report of Thundersnow.    Probably related to the funnel cloud that went through Taneytown.   The crazy thing was all the snow you could see in the sky around the systems.  Sheets of it as you approached. 

Thanks! I'll check it out now. 

48 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

MDT does not break 30 tomorrow on the HRRR.  18 on Tue AM. 

I was thinking about this earlier today - sometimes cold can really underperform at night. It was 38 when I went to bed last night, it was 39 when I woke up this morning. Temp never fell below 38 here. I would not be surprised if tonight's temp bottoms out around freezing. We'll see. 

14 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

SPC has our area under 15% on their day #5 outlook. That seems rather ominous this far out, doesn't it? 

That is high. I fly to DFW early Thursday am, I’m sure my flight is cancelled with this huge system working east. Clockwork in late March/early April. 

44 minutes ago, canderson said:

That is high. I fly to DFW early Thursday am, I’m sure my flight is cancelled with this huge system working east. Clockwork in late March/early April. 

Saw that the day #6 15% outlook issued yesterday for Thursday was the first EVER issued by SPC for the state of Virginia.

Impressive (or ominous depending on perspective) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Saw that the day #6 15% outlook issued yesterday for Thursday was the first EVER issued by SPC for the state of Virginia.

Impressive (or ominous depending on perspective) 

As the climate warms, storm systems working east will continue to strengthen. We are seeing it already and I think severe becomes much more widespread and north reaching.  

• Like 1

FWIW here is what SPC says for Thursday.  

On Thursday/Day 5, a severe risk will likely continue eastward into
   the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast States, including the potential for
   fast-moving low-topped storms capable of wind damage in the
   Mid-Atlantic region.

Thereafter, a combination of diminishing severe potential and
   increased guidance variability precludes any outlook areas at this
   juncture.
  • Like 1