Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

55 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, both the roads and just the real feel.  I moved back here in 2018 and this is a top 5 evening as far as brutal weather for the last 4 winters.  It is 17 degrees with frequent snow falling and blowing from winds gusting to near 40 and sustained 25-30.  Wind Chill is ~ -2 right now. 

It really is brutal out. It just has that look of cold. Looks angry outside. But also beautiful. Like a woman, emotions all over the place. Apologies to any ladies on the board :D

@ItstrainingtimeI'm surprised you didn't think of all days in weather history...the Superstorm!  Tomorrow is the 29th anniversary.  You were mentioning low temps for today, late this afternoon in the low 20's.  Well, back on 3/13/93 I was 17 degrees with heavy sleet in the middle of the afternoon.  Today's weather had tidbits of weather elements that came with the superstorm...but definitely not the barometric pressure, which was 30 millibars lower than today's minimum pressure of 1001.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

@ItstrainingtimeI'm surprised you didn't think of all days in weather history...the Superstorm!  Tomorrow is the 29th anniversary.  You were mentioning low temps for today, late this afternoon in the low 20's.  Well, back on 3/13/93 I was 17 degrees with heavy sleet in the middle of the afternoon.  Today's weather had tidbits of weather elements that came with the superstorm...but definitely not the barometric pressure, which was 30 millibars lower than today's minimum pressure of 1001.

Oh, trust me I was thinking about it. I didn't have a station at the time and wasn't sure of the temp. 

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Over the past 5.5 hours, my temp has only dropped 1.9 degrees. Sitting at 20.1 currently. 

Actually this is not surprising.  When there are very windy conditions following an arctic blast, the surface temp is dictated by what's going on aloft.  The 500mb thickness level bottomed out close to 504dm around 10:00pm.  For the rest of the night it will begin to rise.  Temps at the 850 level also play a role.  The temperature at that level also reached its bottom at -18 degrees C around the same time.  It also begins a slow rise higher throughout the night reaching -12 at 12z.  Therefore as long as the wind remains substantial it is not likely that our overnight temp drops more than a degree or two lower by morning.  Only if the winds diminished to less than 5mph would the snowpack then contribute to radiational cooling.  As I type this it is now midnight and my temp is sitting at 20.3 degrees and has only fluctuated a few tenths over the past 4 hours.  It actually bottomed at 19.9 at 10:38pm and has risen slightly.  It's quite possible our temps don't drop at all from whatever level they're presently sitting at.  In this case elevation dictates how cold it is...more or less...referring to constant winds > 10mph.

Today marks the greatest difference between clock noon and solar noon.  The sun reaches its zenith at 1:14 PM today for a 1 hour and 14 minute difference.  The difference tweaks shorter going forward.

There is another federal legislative attempt at eliminating Standard Time - this one sponsored by Whitehouse (D) and Rubio (R) and titled the Sunshine Protection Act (how cute).  Who knows, maybe this is the last time we spring forward.

• Like 1