Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

33 minutes ago, Voyager said:

If we're going to do this, I'm glad it's on a Saturday. Gives plenty of time to clear the roads for Monday work.

Saturday morning no less.  The weather gods are with you on this one Voyager.

I'm sitting at a beautiful 43 degrees.  Official totals from yesterday are .58" liquid and .1" snow/sleet.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

If you zoom into the NE you'll note it came SE down around the M/D line and points south.  Likely a byproduct of the slp being a tad SE of 6z and precip panels adjusted accordingly.  This is why I look at the snow panels as they show a rough blend of thermal profiles, precip and even forcing in frozen and non frozen varieties.  Not for the perty colors.  

Really wouldnt take much to get us in the game down here.  Gonna be close either way.

I thought the 12Z GFS was an improvement vs. 6Z and the 12Z CMC was an improvement vs. 0Z.  GFS looks to be the furthest west of models right now.  Guess I'll invest emotionally one last time this winter!  Let's do it.

38 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I'm sitting at a beautiful 43 degrees.  Official totals from yesterday are .58" liquid and .1" snow/sleet.

I had .36" melted down with one inch of snow, which is likely gone by now.

23 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

@Itstrainingtime

Sorry I didn't get to post my storm totals from yesterday.  It actually was pretty interesting in that I had a ton of liquid, none of which was rain, but not that much snow either.  Total liquid (melted) was 0.47".  Total snow was 0.8".  It really was more than that but it kept melting as it was hitting the board.  Temp was close to 33 degrees for nearly the whole event except the final hour or so when it rose to 34 and eventually to 35.  For being such a wet snow you'd think it would have stuck to everything, but most of the trees had very little stuck on them except the evergreens.  The snow to liquid ratio came out to a ridiculous 0.6:1 which I don't think I've ever measured from an all-snow event before!

24 minutes ago, GrandmasterB said:

I thought the 12Z GFS was an improvement vs. 6Z and the 12Z CMC was an improvement vs. 0Z.  GFS looks to be the furthest west of models right now.  Guess I'll invest emotionally one last time this winter!  Let's do it.

Mind you, with the GFS, you needed to zoom in to call it an improvement, but when on the weather fence, one has to do such things to get their precious snow....

That's me being a full blown starved snow hound tho.  No fogged glasses, just searchin for scraps.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

@Itstrainingtime

Sorry I didn't get to post my storm totals from yesterday.  It actually was pretty interesting in that I had a ton of liquid, none of which was rain, but not that much snow either.  Total liquid (melted) was 0.47".  Total snow was 0.8".  It really was more than that but it kept melting as it was hitting the board.  Temp was close to 33 degrees for nearly the whole event except the final hour or so when it rose to 34 and eventually to 35.  For being such a wet snow you'd think it would have stuck to everything, but most of the trees had very little stuck on them except the evergreens.  The snow to liquid ratio came out to a ridiculous 0.6:1 which I don't think I've ever measured from an all-snow event before!

that was my worry from the night before.  I think I suggested Slushballs...

18z NAM?? from evening prior went NW w/ best precip and that sent up my caution flag.  Seems like as soon as 1 does that, the NW thingy ends up verifying..  It seems to be the LSV's Kryptonite.  

18 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

@Itstrainingtime

Thanks Stephen! So, you had less precip but still managed more snowfall. This tells me that my biggest issue yesterday was indeed the temp. (some might say that more precip would have lowered my temp further, but I had the QPF)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It looks MUCH drier to me - some areas in Central PA get a couple of inches. Not many areas in the entire state get more than 6". 

Edit: I don't see anywhere in the Commonwealth over 6" 

Doesn't throw much precip back after the front clears.  Common issue in this situation.

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It looks MUCH drier to me - some areas in Central PA get a couple of inches. Not many areas in the entire state get more than 6". 

Edit: I don't see anywhere in the Commonwealth over 6" 

Yes, it is much dryer. Let's hope something changes. By the way, have fun tonight bring home the W.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Thanks Stephen! So, you had less precip but still managed more snowfall. This tells me that my biggest issue yesterday was indeed the temp. (some might say that more precip would have lowered my temp further, but I had the QPF)

Yeah I completely agree with your take from yesterday about temps being the primary issue for us.  I had multiple periods where the snow was moderate to downright heavy and it just couldn't get any traction on the surfaces, even mulch and decks and whatnot.  I never dropped below 35 throughout the event.  Over a half inch of QPF producing .1" of accumulated frozen pretty much tells the story haha.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yeah I completely agree with your take from yesterday about temps being the primary issue for us.  I had multiple periods where the snow was moderate to downright heavy and it just couldn't get any traction on the surfaces, even mulch and decks and whatnot.  I never dropped below 35 throughout the event.  Over a half inch of QPF producing .1" of accumulated frozen pretty much tells the story haha.

Yep. Spot on assessment.