• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

322 is a disaster from Philipsburg to Port Matilda. I almost wrecked going down the mountain on my way to pick up the fiance at Mount Nittany.

Meanwhile at elevation, I'd say we're close to 4.5 inches and it had been puking snow all morning. In State College, sleet is mixing in at 31°F.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

322 is a disaster from Philipsburg to Port Matilda. I almost wrecked going down the mountain on my way to pick up the fiance at Mount Nittany.

Meanwhile at elevation, I'd say we're close to 4.5 inches and it had been puking snow all morning. In State College, sleet is mixing in at 31°F.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Looks like we just got upgraded to WSW 4-8"

36 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Just talked to my wife a few miles down the road from you and it's snowing there as well. All rain here at work for the past couple of hours. 

You don't by chance use mPING do you?

13 minutes ago, 2001kx said:

Looks like we just got upgraded to WSW 4-8"

Northern tier really cashing in with this.  Near Cherry Springs......

568106647_CherrySprings.jpg.cd354a44c50d3eb6b20930aa7dffcaed.jpg

Still getting some snow bursts but additional accumulations have stopped with max solar and temps around 33ºF. Have measured 3.4” and it’s definitely a wet snow. Most roads are now wet. This was basically on target for what I was expecting here.

As I mentioned in my last post, problem for the Sus Valley was the best of the precip shield ending up tracking northwest. Rates would have overcome the marginal temps. But as it is, the result is the north-central being upgraded to warnings being a couple degrees colder and ended up with the best of the QPF. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Well said and agreed.  Honestly, I think the simple answer is that it just wasn't our year around these parts.  Couldn't thread the needle.  I know that's the easy out, but there was snow to be found all around us and ample cold at various times.  Just wasn't meant to be.  In the eternal motto of the weather fan, there's always next year!

Yep.  Timing and the look from 10,000ft (literally and figuratively) in areas like ours is extra critical, while our normal N and W crew have a little more wiggle room in their favor to get frozen.  While I'm bummed, this year is more typical of what i remember growing up and even in more recent years as we rain/slop while HBG N and W cash in.  With that said, it's a little more normal, which makes it a bit less painful for me.  Like you said, maybe next year. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

You don't by chance use mPING do you?

Northern tier really cashing in with this.  Near Cherry Springs......

568106647_CherrySprings.jpg.cd354a44c50d3eb6b20930aa7dffcaed.jpg

been gazing at the potter county snowcam site off an on this morning.  Yeah they are at 6" and still thumping.  Likely a good bet for another thumpin this weekend.  

bottom of mountain below my place in Gaines.  I'm sure I could add 1-2" to this (as often the case in normal events as I'm at 2275'.

http://swedenhillsnocam.com/PAGSC2.jpg

PAGSC2.jpg

11 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

This one by chance?  I usually use the links off the PA Grand Canyon Snowmobile Club.  Sweeden Hill.......

721412258_SweedenHill.jpg.cc5d900a6514c6c96ccf320eaee258f8.jpg

lol. Until about 2 months ago, I was webmaster for, (and with the help of a tech gal) built the Pa Grand Canyon website that you peruse.  Too much on my plate, so i gave it up to folks w/ more time on their hands.  if you look at old trail condition reports...you'll see some signed by Nut...yep....its me.  I know all of the crew that run the club and am friends w/ many of them as I'm still a member...just not webguy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

lol. Until about 2 months ago, I was webmaster for, (and with the help of a tech gal) built the Pa Grand Canyon website that you peruse.  Too much on my plate, so i gave it up to folks w/ more time on their hands.  if you look at old trail condition reports...you'll see some signed by Nut...yep....its me.  I know all of the crew that run the club and am friends w/ many of them as I'm still a member...just not webguy.

Haha that's awesome, small world.  As I've told you before, my buddy has a cabin up by Gaines and we've always used these cams to check conditions.  We don't ride but still like to keep an eye on what's going on up there.  You can take pride in knowing your site is used by more than just people in the club.  Great work Nut!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Thanks.  What could go wrong with rain turning into a wind driven 6" snowfall?  Happens all the time here, right?  :-) 

During my time at PSU in State College 2005-09 it was either coastal storms that did not spread any snow inland or raging sleet storms for the most part. Other than a few decent winters here and there since, it’s been disappointment for that area. For me it’ll be driving rain and wind but hopefully a nice event for you guys to end the winter. 

Looks like a nice event today. Near warning level for most of you guys? 

16 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

During my time at PSU in State College 2005-09 it was either coastal storms that did not spread any snow inland or raging sleet storms for the most part. Other than a few decent winters here and there since, it’s been disappointment for that area. For me it’ll be driving rain and wind but hopefully a nice event for you guys to end the winter. 

Looks like a nice event today. Near warning level for most of you guys? 

Yea, north of the Lower Susq Valley there seem to be a lot of reports of decent amounts.  Some here are a bit bummed because the LSV was the in jackpot up until 24-48 hours ago.  Many areas getting 4+" were not slated to get as much as the LSV and the tables turned the last 24 hours or so.  Some depictions had the 4+ areas (today) getting basically nothing. 

I certainly understand the quandary for PSU/State College.  Always seems to be something that ruins the big one there. 

9 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I just wish it wasn't 1pm - but with rates and temps it can still work...

At least we get to see it (daytime).  Temps may not going to be the issue like today.   Rapid CAA taking place at that point.  (Model depiction, not a forecast).  As depicted, the roads would cave, IMO.

image.png.35b8ddbd949ddb648e135f05dc3338b4.png

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Haha that's awesome, small world.  As I've told you before, my buddy has a cabin up by Gaines and we've always used these cams to check conditions.  We don't ride but still like to keep an eye on what's going on up there.  You can take pride in knowing your site is used by more than just people in the club.  Great work Nut!

Glad to hear it.  I like the potter club site just cause they have the live pics.  That would've been my choice as well, but we didnt want to steal craigs (potter county site) thunder.  

Obviously we're trying to promote the area for more than just sledding.  We also sponsor the trout tourney in May.  Thats a big big draw (sometimes I think more than sledding) to the site.  

Enjoy

• Like 1

***UPDATE WINTER STORM WARNING ISSUED FOR TWIN TIER REGION OF NY AND PA***

A band of heavy snow has set up in the Twin Tiers of NY and PA with up to 2" of snow per hour at times. The snow will taper off between 5 pm and 7 pm. Total snowfall will range between 5" and 9" in the Twin Tiers with 2" to 5" over the rest of northeast PA and across north central NY. See total snowfall map. If you must travel please use extreme caution!!! #pawx #nywx #winter2022

Crazy-this is usually the set-up where I do well up here. Elevated and marginal temps but with good precip. Saturday looks interesting in NEPA. :snowing:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, paweather said:

Not to change the subject this game tomorrow night should be fun. There will be many angry fans in Philly. 

I'm ready. Turned down a LOT of money to sell my seats. I gouged a poor Mavericks fan blind for next week's game so that I'll feel better about going tomorrow. Besides, my wife and I are on a roll now. We've seen 6 wins in our last 7 trips. Got to keep the momentum going! 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I'm ready. Turned down a LOT of money to sell my seats. I gouged a poor Mavericks fan blind for next week's game so that I'll feel better about going tomorrow. Besides, my wife and I are on a roll now. We've seen 6 wins in our last 7 trips. Got to keep the momentum going! 

HAVE FUN! Nash is doing this for reason by sitting Simmons on the bench but not playing him. 

• Thanks 1