• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

Finally cracked the freezing threshold. Up to 32.7 here now. The Jeep is cleaned off, and the sidewalks shoveled. Now, to work or not to work, that is the question. Not sure it's worth it to go for just a half day at this point. Not to mention that there is a rollover tractor trailer on the Blue Mountain on 309 tying things up currently...

13 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I was perusing through CTP’s first released PNS and various LSRs and I’ve got to say it’s quite underwhelming. Not a single snow or sleet report above 2” and no ZR reports over .32”, even for the Laurels, with most ~.15”. Was really expecting to see some more impactful ice reports out along the high terrain but so far nada. In the grand picture, it’s hard to say this wasn’t a letdown for the region, which has been par for the course this year. 

I was always suspect of those 1"+ ice maps (though not sure they are accretion vs. saying 1" of the rain would be below freezing) but surprised if things in the Laurels are not a mess. 

2 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

I hate freezing rain but it is gorgeous on the trees when the sun comes out.

If there was 3-6" of snow OTG, I'd be right w/ ya.....But to me personally....meh... 

I'm a snow hound.  What else can i say?  Hope those who have white, enjoy it for as long as they can.  

47 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was always suspect of those 1"+ ice maps (though not sure they are accretion vs. saying 1" of the rain would be below freezing) but surprised if things in the Laurels are not a mess. 

Yeah they just illustrate rain falling into a surface temp of 32 or less so actual ice accretion is always much less but was still expecting at least a few reports around .5”.  They just put out an updated PNS that includes five reports from Somerset County and not a one is over .3”. Heck, there was good reason to believe that Clearfield County would be ground zero for the icing and the lone ZR report from Clearfield so far is for only .13”. Oh well, not like loads of ice is a good thing. 

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

There really is absolutely nothing to track on LR models, huh. This will go down as my least-favorite winter here in the 15 years I've been here. Just brutally awful. 

Not sure I'm going w/ the worst because we've had stuff to track, but lets just say the digital snow slaughtered the actual snow (and yes, I know it usually does) - but at least when 6" is modeled and we get 3-4"....we still got something.  This year natsomuch. 

The phrase "craptastic" should now be put into the dictionary of weather terminology..

Craptastic - 21-22' potential vs realized snow totals in the LSV.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

You know it's been a rough winter when you're talking accumulations on mulch. :lol: Take what you can get, right?

Mulch is the great winter saver.  If only roads counted, we would be right up there with the worst winter ever now.  Have only had 4-6" accumulate on roads so far. 

• Sad 1

At noon nearly 100% of ice has melted off.  In shaded areas there are still patches of "white" remaining...but not for much longer.  My temp has skyrocketed up to 41 degrees and the sun has occasionally been out.  The clouds had broken up a little while ago but now a more solid overcast has returned.  The windy conditions in the forecast today have yet to materialize.

15 minutes ago, paweather said:

So the GFS there is no hope? I am not going to look if that is the case.

GFS has a little white rain around next Thursday and then an Apps runner the following week that as is showing now would be a snow>mix>rain event. That is around March 11th. That's also the only storm of significance for the entirety of the run. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yeah they just illustrate rain falling into a surface temp of 32 or less so actual ice accretion is always much less but was still expecting at least a few reports around .5”.  They just put out an updated PNS that includes five reports from Somerset County and not a one is over .3”. Heck, there was good reason to believe that Clearfield County would be ground zero for the icing and the lone ZR report from Clearfield so far is for only .13”. Oh well, not like loads of ice is a good thing. 

Well the reason for less freezing rain in this general area and at least the eastern Laurels was because most of the precip fell as sleet. Surface temps weren’t super cold, but that 925-900mb layer definitely was.. and it held fast for the most of the heavier precip in a pretty big chunk of the central. The main warm advection push aloft during the bulk of the event came higher in the column from about 850-700mb level. There’s no input from terrain or CAD that high up to delay or mitigate a strong WAA push, so that can often overachieve… hence why it mixed all the way into NY and north central PA didn’t see much actual snow at all. 

830am this morning

48B72DD2-7773-4242-9C86-2D4E1DBFDA10.thumb.jpeg.fb240e1d7132e338860bf6538cbe5916.jpeg

I measured 1.5” of sleet this morning and what I could guesstimate was about a tenth or so of ice… which has all melted off the trees this morning. Most of the sleet accum will definitely remain on the non-paved surfaces, but roads are in good shape now. It was real mess to clean up, I had to use the snowblower to remove it. But considering I’m in one of the 4 counties under a wind advisory this afternoon, I’m glad freezing rain issues weren’t huge. Extra bonus.. that 1.5” of sleet is technically the biggest snowfall I’ve had this month lol. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MAG5035 said:

Well the reason for less freezing rain in this general area and at least the eastern Laurels was because most of the precip fell as sleet. Surface temps weren’t super cold, but that 925-900mb layer definitely was.. and it held fast for the most of the heavier precip in a pretty big chunk of the central. The main warm advection push aloft during the bulk of the event came higher in the column from about 850-700mb level. There’s no input from terrain or CAD that high up to delay or mitigate a strong WAA push, so that can often overachieve… hence why it mixed all the way into NY and north central PA didn’t see much actual snow at all. 

830am this morning

I measured 1.5” of sleet this morning and what I could guesstimate was about a tenth or so of ice… which has all melted off the trees this morning. Most of the sleet accum will definitely remain on the non-paved surfaces, but roads are in good shape now. It was real mess to clean up, I had to use the snowblower to remove it. But considering I’m in one of the 4 counties under a wind advisory this afternoon, I’m glad freezing rain issues weren’t huge. Extra bonus.. that 1.5” of sleet is technically the biggest snowfall I’ve had this month lol. 

If you get 1.5" of sleet in June you can tally that up to your seasonal total as well per NWS rules. Ha. 

4 hours ago, sauss06 said:

honestly, at 1230 this morning i would have thought no way would things be open this morning.  i would have laid cash on it. It was that bad. Its been years since i have seen the interstate looking like a demolition derby. 

Accidents on the interstates...no thanks.

Done it for 28 years career.

God Bless you!! Be safe!

We had 1.5” of just yuck...frozen mess. 

Would I love 6” of nice fluffy snow. This pattern is getting old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

How long before someone mulches over their whole yard in an effort to score more accums? 

Grass is so overrated. Stupid invasive weed that takes tons of time and money to manage.

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Maybe white mulch to really show your intentions? 

Yes! That would slow the melt-off with less heat being absorbed as well. Genius! :P 

• Haha 2