Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Spectacular Sunday! Sunday and 41. Just back from a glorious walk along the river. 

“Glorious” is a perfect description :)

Only 37 here but sunny and not much wind; when the wind is still it feels much warmer. I did/do have spring fever, but I don’t mind another couple months of winter as long as we have plenty of days like this scattered throughout. 

35 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Euro is still mostly a nothing burger for the LSV.  A very slight improvement from 0Z if looking for LSV ice.    Mostly rain or light/borderline too warm frz.  Concentrates the ice storm in Northern PA. 

image.png.01d82b27696586102ff904a16bdecd34.png

The 12z Euro has a significant ice event for most of us from around the PA turnpike on north. 

EF8624CA-B48F-4359-94B4-F63329D8E425.png

5227ACB7-1BE2-4FB7-9F16-DC41915598FE.png

353B4827-83C1-483A-BED5-50CA9B008DB0.png

2 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

I installed an Ambient WS-5000 (the model with the sonic wind sensor) back on Jan 14th and I had been wondering how it was going to do with a decent wind event. I considered mounting it at the highest point of the house on my center chimney that’s not used anymore but decided to high mount it off the shed. 

0AEB523A-E206-41AB-9FD1-1F0296F8611A.thumb.jpeg.d00442eadba6925916b948efb5888cdb.jpeg

This pic is looking in a NW direction so I was wondering if it was going to get shielded some by the house. I have a pretty open yard but there is a tree line on one side and houses so I felt this was the best compromise for positioning the station. The highest gust it recorded prior to yesterday was Friday’s wind advisory event which was like 39mph, which I thought was reasonable because I never really had advisory type winds here for that one. Yesterday though, it registered a 42mph wind gust during the snow squall passage and then later in the afternoon a sustained 40mph/63mph gust. So while the siting for wind isn’t completely ideal, it apparently is exposed enough to record bigger gusts. That and I guess I mounted it well enough to withstand at least 63mph winds haha. 

That’s awesome. Whatever you’re doing is working if you’re getting results like that. Well done lad, well done. 

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Spectacular Sunday! Sunday and 41. Just back from a glorious walk along the river. 

Did you happen to see a guy in all penn state gear walking a labradoodle and an eight-month pregnant wife pushing a stroller with a baby in it? We were on the part by Chickies Rock from about 2-3pm. Looks like I’m topping out at 39 here. 

2 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 12z Euro has a significant ice event for most of us from around the PA turnpike on north. 

As you probably saw on the map I posted, the Pivotal panels are not as enthusiastic as these maps you posted.   Actually has rain North of MDT at 114.  That was my issue with the situation.  If its so close that it is rain on some panels and frz on another, its not going to be a big deal.

image.png.16b04e3ca5702a6ce4fc21012a998fef.png

11 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

As you probably saw on the map I posted, the Pivotal panels are not as enthusiastic as these maps you posted.   Actually has rain North of MDT at 114.  That was my issue with the situation.  If its so close that it is rain on some panels and frz on another, its not going to be a big deal.

image.png.16b04e3ca5702a6ce4fc21012a998fef.png

This is a different situation than the last event. We have cold air in place as the precip arrives this time.

Also, we are 4 days out, lots of times to see how this plays out.

3 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

This is a different situation than the last event. We have cold air in place as the precip arrives this time.

Also, we are 4 days out, lots of times to see how this plays out.

No doubt, it just was not a good look on Pivotal Euro output.   Surface temps were above 30 the entire time and rose to the mid 40's middle of the day Friday.  Hoping for something more interesting than that. 

4 hours ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Was there any damage around town?   Going off the Beaufort scale you’re looking at uprooted trees and minor structural damage.    I had around 15 trees blown over at course and I’m estimating 60 to 65 mph gust 

There actually weren’t too many issues damage wise, there were a couple power outages here and there but nothing in the neighborhood. I was trying to review the hard data, it data-logs on the console once a minute so it looks like the gust occurred in between minutes. It still notes the highest wind gust for the day. The highest that got logged for the data were a couple shots above 40. I’m sure there were probably more than that since the station itself reports wind back every 5 seconds.

My guess is that big gust was probably a brief one off at the time of the afternoon that probably had the best mixing with diurnal heating while most other high gusts were in the 40-45 mph range. Otherwise there would have definitely been issues with frequent gusts say in the 55+ range. Still learning the station and how well it does. It seems to be pretty accurate overall. The rain gauge logged 0.90” total from the rain event Thur-Fri.

1 hour ago, MAG5035 said:

There actually weren’t too many issues damage wise, there were a couple power outages here and there but nothing in the neighborhood. I was trying to review the hard data, it data-logs on the console once a minute so it looks like the gust occurred in between minutes. It still notes the highest wind gust for the day. The highest that got logged for the data were a couple shots above 40. I’m sure there were probably more than that since the station itself reports wind back every 5 seconds.

My guess is that big gust was probably a brief one off at the time of the afternoon that probably had the best mixing with diurnal heating while most other high gusts were in the 40-45 mph range. Otherwise there would have definitely been issues with frequent gusts say in the 55+ range. Still learning the station and how well it does. It seems to be pretty accurate overall. The rain gauge logged 0.90” total from the rain event Thur-Fri.

Like others said, wind is a hard ob to capture.   I have 2 anemometers on a 10 m tower in a very open area trying to get as close as possible to ASOS data.   I’ve managed to capture a 71 mph gust back on thunderstorm in 2009 which is my highest.