Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

20 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

So to be completely transparent- I had a late night and got up very late this morning. I looked outside and saw grass...my yard is kept at 2" during the winter so I eyeballed about 1.5". After I made my post I quickly realized that significant melting had already taken place. 

Bottom line  - I have no idea what I actually got. Given all of the reports I'm seeing from all around me, I think it's safe to say that I had more than 1.5". I'll never know how much, which is upsetting because I like to keep records. But it was Sunday morning and I was tired. :)

I respect the honesty haha.  Hey, we've all had out share of questionable measurements.  I know you said you're putting 3.0" in the books but do you have the liquid amount from that day?  If so, you could back into your snowfall via a reasonable SLR estimate.  I came in at 22.5:1 and there were loads of reports in the 20-30:1 range around the region.  Speaking of which, the ratios were probably the biggest highlight from this event.  As @TugHillMatt mentioned, we rarely see snow with that high of a fluff factor.  The low density also had a lot to do with why it was whisked away so quickly.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I respect the honesty haha.  Hey, we've all had out share of questionable measurements.  I know you said you're putting 3.0" in the books but do you have the liquid amount from that day?  If so, you could back into your snowfall via a reasonable SLR estimate.  I came in at 22.5:1 and there were loads of reports in the 20-30:1 range around the region.  Speaking of which, the ratios were probably the biggest highlight from this event.  As @TugHillMatt mentioned, we rarely see snow with that high of a fluff factor.  The low density also had a lot to do with why it was whisked away so quickly.

Yeah, that's like lake effect fluff, which I have plenty of experience with now. lol... I've seen ratios so high where there's six inches of snow on the car but you can literally see through the snow to the windshield. The heat of the sun can make it go "poof" quite quickly.

• Thanks 1

Woke up this morning to a nice little coating on everything including the street.  Measured 0.3".  Temp got down to 14.0.  Right now it's back up to a "balmy" 21.9.  The great thing was my front yard, which faces south and fairly quickly melted yesterday, was recoated again.  I have no doubt it will be gone by later this afternoon.  On the other hand my backyard didn't lose much yesterday and has about a solid 1" remaining.

>>>Forgot to mention the dew point was down to 8, which bodes well for low temps tonight perhaps touching the single digits.

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I received .09" of liquid. 

After seeing multiple pics of snowy landscapes in this thread yesterday afternoon, I took my wife on a "snow investigation" trip around the area. It was amazing what happened as soon we got out of the Maytown/Mount Joy area -  ground went from  brown to fully snow covered in Landisville, East Pete, Manheim, and even Lancaster. It seemed like the only area without snow cover was from the Mount Joy borough line to the river. Everywhere east, south, and north from there was a totally different world. But it certainly made sense.

I lowered my snowfall yesterday back down to 2". Maybe you can give me an estimate based on my liquid total? 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I received .09" of liquid. 

After seeing multiple pics of snowy landscapes in this thread yesterday afternoon, I took my wife on a "snow investigation" trip around the area. It was amazing what happened as soon we got out of the Maytown/Mount Joy area -  ground went from  brown to fully snow covered in Landisville, East Pete, Manheim, and even Lancaster. It seemed like the only area without snow cover was from the Mount Joy borough line to the river. Everywhere east, south, and north from there was a totally different world. But it certainly made sense.

I lowered my snowfall yesterday back down to 2". Maybe you can give me an estimate based on my liquid total? 

After much number crunching, Mount Joy Snowman officially endorses your 2" snowfall total.  Well done good sir.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

@canderson- you mentioned potential storms for Thursday in the past couple of days. I see the Mid Atlantic severe thread is active this morning...

It's def a threat, but much more south of this area. No neg tilted trough and no real CAPE here. IIRC there was a pretty big severe outbreak around this time just south of the border too. 

25 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

My kid will be here next weekend, so I'm just asking for Bastardi's false spring. After delivery and the march home, the roof can collapse under the weight of a snow for all I care lol

Congratulations on the upcoming birth. Excited to know we'll have a new board member in 12 or so years!