Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

22 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

HRRR showing pop up snow showers.

Well with the prospect of heavy snow this evening, along with what we have on the ground, I think its time to go ahead and pull the trigger and issue a GWA.  The Rouzerville office of the Weather Weenie Network, in coordination with other local offices, has issued a Garden Weather Advisory for the entire Lower Susquehanna Valley. 

...GARDEN WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM Wednesday Morning. 

* WHAT...Snow of varying intensity this AM and overnight. Additional Garden Weather Issues with Temps staying 
below freezing until Wed AM including two nights in the middle teens.

* WHERE...Dauphin, Cumberland, Lancaster, York, Adams, Franklin, Lebanon, Skooks. 

* WHEN...Until 11 AM EST Wednesday

* IMPACTS...Plan on frozen, hard ground.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snowfall rates of 1 to 1.5 inches per hour
  have occurred just to the southeast of Interstate 81.   Additional heavy snowfall rates are possible overnight into Monday.
  The heaviest accumulations will occur on colder, non-
  paved surfaces.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture reminds gardeners to adjust planting
and cultivation plans as winter weather impacts will include snow
covered flower beds and limited ability to dig into the permafrost. You are also reminded to reverse 
course and bring the hanging flower containers, put out last week, back in. 

Pets can also face issues during these conditions.  If you see your dog or cat trying to dig holes in the hard ground, in vain, please set out

a box of cat litter or dirt so they may resume training for spring, which begins in March. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Well with the prospect of heavy snow this evening, along with what we have on the ground, I think its time to go ahead and pull the trigger and issue a GWA.  The Rouzerville office of the Weather Weenie Network, in coordination with other local offices, has issued a Garden Weather Advisory for the entire Lower Susquehanna Valley. 

...GARDEN WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM Wednesday Morning. 

* WHAT...Snow of varying intensity this AM and overnight. Additional Garden Weather Issues with Temps staying 
below freezing until Wed AM including two nights in the middle teens.

* WHERE...Dauphin, Cumberland, Lancaster, York, Adams, Franklin, Lebanon, Skooks. 

* WHEN...Until 11 AM EST Wednesday

* IMPACTS...Plan on frozen, hard ground.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snowfall rates of 1 to 1.5 inches per hour
  have occurred just to the southeast of Interstate 81.   Additional heavy snowfall rates are possible overnight into Monday.
  The heaviest accumulations will occur on colder, non-
  paved surfaces.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture reminds gardeners to adjust planting
and cultivation plans as winter weather impacts will include snow
covered flower beds and limited ability to dig into the permafrost. You are also reminded to reverse 
course and bring the hanging flower containers, put out last week, back in. 

Pets can also face issues during these conditions.  If you see your dog or cat trying to dig holes in the hard ground, in vain, please set out

a box of cat litter or dirt so they may resume training for spring, which begins in March. 

What’s the criteria to upgrade to warning 

Just now, Cashtown_Coop said:

What’s the criteria to upgrade to warning 

More posts about gardening.  :-)    On this line of thinking, please have your OB's in by 6AM each of the next two mornings.   Need to know snow depth on the mulch, how far down can you get a shovel into the dirt, if you had to turn your sprinklers on to freeze over plants you already put out...in a last ditch effort to protect them, etc...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I was in spring mood already. With the warm weather the past few days, we finally lost the last of the snow (ice) in our backyard yesterday afternoon. Now it's back again... :weep:

yes me too! WE got rid of most of our ice cover too, only to be setback...again! Joe Bastardi said A false spring is coming. Don't be surprised if we get record breaking warmth in the next couple of weeks, only to be put back in to winter in mid to late march. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

More posts about gardening.  :-)    On this line of thinking, please have your OB's in by 6AM each of the next two mornings.   Need to know snow depth on the mulch, how far down can you get a shovel into the dirt, if you had to turn your sprinklers on to freeze over plants you already put out...in a last ditch effort to protect them, etc...

Will do

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

I was logged in but I wasn’t on site.   Ended up with 1.1”.   When I woke up around 3, there was a heavy band just east of me.   Bet there are some 3-4” amounts 

Good call. We have 4.5” in Ephrata. Very light high ratio snow.

• Like 2

I'd say 4"ish here.  Roads and driveway just wet without doing anything.  Sure looks cool though as this is a sticky snow.

Kudos to Canderson who did the old reverse logic ain't gonna snow trick.  Make sure you break that one out at the beginning of next winter so we get 6'+  before the snow gods catch on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I ended up with 1.8 of snow in Marysville.

The heavy band was nice, but most of the time rates dropped off in between bands. Those that stayed in the good band or got hit with both got the 3 or 4 inch amounts.

I enjoyed every minute of it, but I am tired now!

The rest of winter is cancelled per the annual winter canceller in the MA thread.  

• Haha 1

Good morning guys.  I missed all of the "fun" between 3 and 5am.  Looks like @Cashtown_Coopand I were the low-ball sites.  I recorded 1.0", and just like that everything is white again (except conveniently, sidewalks and street).  It might last a little bit until Tuesday.  Hopefully the arctic front will do its magic later this evening and send snowsqualls my way.  If I get in on one, it will be the first one of the season for me.  Temp dropped overnight to better than I thought with 27.7.  It was 36.0 at midnight, so a pretty decent drop from the snowfall.  Temp now very slowly rising, back up to 29.5.  Maybe we hold below 32 this afternoon?

8 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Good morning guys.  I missed all of the "fun" between 3 and 5am.  Looks like @Cashtown_Coopand I were the low-ball sites.  I recorded 1.0", and just like that everything is white again (except conveniently, sidewalks and street).  It might last a little bit until Tuesday.  Hopefully the arctic front will do its magic later this evening and send snowsqualls my way.  If I get in on one, it will be the first one of the season for me.  Temp dropped overnight to better than I thought with 27.7.  It was 36.0 at midnight, so a pretty decent drop from the snowfall.  Temp now very slowly rising, back up to 29.5.  Maybe we hold below 32 this afternoon?

The initial band blossomed just to our East. Over the last 2 seasons we haven’t had much luck finding the heavy banding in events.   

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Vogan said:

Good call. We have 4.5” in Ephrata. Very light high ratio snow.

2 hours ago, Superstorm said:

Cleaned off truck, 4”. Surprised how fluffy it was for how warm it was during the snowfall.

1 hour ago, Festus said:

I'd say 4"ish here.  Roads and driveway just wet without doing anything.  Sure looks cool though as this is a sticky snow.

Kudos to Canderson who did the old reverse logic ain't gonna snow trick.  Make sure you break that one out at the beginning of next winter so we get 6'+  before the snow gods catch on.

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

A nice little over performer here — 3.6”!  A beautiful scene out there. 

I was no where close to any of you. Glad you all did well. It's about time!

26 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Wow can’t believe the difference between us. You must have been just outside a solid band that stayed over the area for a good portion of the night. 

So to be completely transparent- I had a late night and got up very late this morning. I looked outside and saw grass...my yard is kept at 2" during the winter so I eyeballed about 1.5". After I made my post I quickly realized that significant melting had already taken place. 

Bottom line  - I have no idea what I actually got. Given all of the reports I'm seeing from all around me, I think it's safe to say that I had more than 1.5". I'll never know how much, which is upsetting because I like to keep records. But it was Sunday morning and I was tired. :)

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

So to be completely transparent- I had a late night and got up very late this morning. I looked outside and saw grass...my yard is kept at 2" during the winter so I eyeballed about 1.5". After I made my post I quickly realized that significant melting had already taken place. 

Bottom line  - I have no idea what I actually got. Given all of the reports I'm seeing from all around me, I think it's safe to say that I had more than 1.5". I'll never know how much, which is upsetting because I like to keep records. But it was Sunday morning and I was tired. :)

Most of mine is gone already.  It was not the kind of snow that resists sun.