Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

32 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

I travel for my job throughout the Northeast and Mid Atlantic, and it lets me be witness to many snowstorms that I would miss being in Lancaster.

I have been through the November 2014 Lake Effect event in the Buffalo area and the February 2013 snowstorm in Connecticut (reports of 8” per hour).

Maybe just me, but there is nothing like a snowstorm in your own backyard.

Part of me thinks that if I’m traveling, I’d rather still have the storm back home (and miss it) versus getting it on the road somewhere. 

(obviously, nothing beats actually experiencing it in your backyard)

• Like 2

Here’s the NOHRSC snowfall for the season to date, which comes with a legend and numbers. Pretty sure this is an estimate derived from model analysis/satellite so the individual numbers at stations might not be what’s officially reported. It’s usually in the ballpark though. 

image.thumb.png.65e21d2aaa91a47fcd5d71d728484f38.png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

End of January question for the weather masses:

We close out the month with the sad reality that we've received 33% of the amount of snow that Atlantic City has season to date. There's been more snow north, west, south, and east of our area...

So - would you prefer a winter like this with lots of tracking with little ROI; or, would you rather have little to track so that everyone is losing out?

Me? I would pick the first option though admittedly it's getting a little shaky. This past weekend's storm started to wear on me a little. Even though we got exactly what I expected, this winter was to be lacking in big east coast storms. We JUST missed out on a big kahuna. Even Philly received about 8" (7.5" at PHL, 8.9" in NE Philly) Shift that 100 miles west and I wouldn't be asking the question that I did this morning. 

February is our snowiest month of the year so there's that...but there's no guarantee that we'll get anything. After 15-20 FEET of snow fell on the Sierra during the last half of December, they are going to finish January with a complete shutout and nothing on the horizon. Some winters, even snowy places just don't snow. 

Will this be a winter of lots of frustration and near misses or will things even out as Blizz suggests?

Without question I'd rather have opportunities to track, even if that means missing out on all of them.  I have no bitterness towards others receiving snow, and although I always want maximum amounts IMBY, I love when other areas get rocked as well.  Snow, no matter where it falls, makes this man happy.  I dropped to 15 last night.  Hoping we can squeeze something out of this late week system but a mostly rain event seems likely for those of us lower in the valley.  But track we will.....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MAG5035 said:

Here’s the NOHRSC snowfall for the season to date, which comes with a legend and numbers. Pretty sure this is an estimate derived from model analysis/satellite so the individual numbers at stations might not be what’s officially reported. It’s usually in the ballpark though. 

Lancaster for the win! :lol:

23 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

That map perfectly illustrates why I asked the question that I did this morning. Lancaster County - the snowhole capital of the northeast. 

3 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We close out the month with the sad reality that we've received 33% of the amount of snow that Atlantic City has season to date. There's been more snow north, west, south, and east of our area...

So - would you prefer a winter like this with lots of tracking with little ROI; or, would you rather have little to track so that everyone is losing out?

Me? I would pick the first option though admittedly it's getting a little shaky. This past weekend's storm started to wear on me a little. Even though we got exactly what I expected, this winter was to be lacking in big east coast storms. We JUST missed out on a big kahuna. Even Philly received about 8" (7.5" at PHL, 8.9" in NE Philly) Shift that 100 miles west and I wouldn't be asking the question that I did this morning. 

February is our snowiest month of the year so there's that...but there's no guarantee that we'll get anything. After 15-20 FEET of snow fell on the Sierra during the last half of December, they are going to finish January with a complete shutout and nothing on the horizon. Some winters, even snowy places just don't snow. 

Will this be a winter of lots of frustration and near misses or will things even out as Blizz suggests?

First option for me, hands down, but I’m not the snow and cold chaser most of you are. One decent storm (“decent” to me is in the 8 to 12 range) and some smaller events stretched out over a few weeks, and I’m ready to get back to mid-60s and sunny. What I like is the activity and the enthusiasm in here when there are things to track. And I know the activity and enthusiasm are a double edged sword, because it’s that much harder when storms end up missing us, but hopefully our whole region still gets enough to keep everyone happy(ish). 

• Like 2

For those that answered my little Monday morning poll, much thanks! Tracking is definitely a big part of our winter gig, and I can't imagine having a winter void of any chances. And I never, ever begrudge snow that others get. I'm just ready for our area (LSV) to join in on the seasonal snow dance. 

It'll likely come in March...when it's here today, and gone...today. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

For those that answered my little Monday morning poll, much thanks! Tracking is definitely a big part of our winter gig, and I can't imagine having a winter void of any chances. And I never, ever begrudge snow that others get. I'm just ready for our area (LSV) to join in on the seasonal snow dance. 

Give me snow over tracking. Tracking fails nearly 80 percent of the time (if not more). 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I must have missed that.  What did it say?

59 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

for MBY I dont like this one bit.....

But thanks for sharing.  I live underneath that blue dot in lanco, but closer to the 2 and this represents what i've been seeing.  

55 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

You guys might want to look at the ICON

I'll take me some GFS...please and thanks.

ICON stepped back a bit.  A tad more ridging out front or less press from frontal boundary.  Too busy to deep dive, but thats likely what happened. 

GFS is getting really good...IF IF IF it continues to press the boundary.  

4 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I’m just shy of 20” so far this winter here, which is fine and I’m glad that I’ve been able to hang onto a pack for a few weeks. But that’s also just shy of 50% of what I expect for an average season here so there’s some work to be done. On the other hand, it’s also about 3” ahead of the whole 2019-2020 winter at this point.

Give me the winter with tracking opportunities. More often than not things normally even out to some degree eventually. I’d rather be nailing down where an event is going within a good overall pattern over tracking down the actual favorable pattern or window of opportunity just to have a chance at snow. Even in good patterns a specific location isn’t going to make out on every event.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

ICON stepped back a bit.  A tad more ridging out front or less press from frontal boundary.  Too busy to deep dive, but thats likely what happened. 

If is a big word. 

If your Aunt had Balls she'd be your Uncle

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

Add CMC to the steppin backwards camp....

GFS and NAM both stepped forward, and hoping for the win.  

I'm going to need February to be calm in the end. I'm about to foul the Earth with a carbon copy and don't need to be white knuckle driving up and down 322 to Mount Nittany for a week. 

I know this is me pouring a bucket of hot piss on your wants of 12 feet of snow, but y'all can suck me lol. Early February, Super Bowl Sunday aside? Snow. All of March? Snow. 

Late February? Suck. Me.

Edit: Hey Sauss, did you read that in John Candy's voice?