• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

Next weekend's temperatures. When the hell is this ridiculous and relentless cold going to end??? 

Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 9.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 23.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 8.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 29.

10 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Next weekend's temperatures. When the hell is this ridiculous and relentless cold going to end??? 

Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 9.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 23.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 8.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 29.

This week you could see 40's for high two days...GFS even has a 50 for you though CMC does not. 

8 hours ago, AllWeather said:

This is brutal (seasonal snowfall). Came without a legend, but I think we can all fill in the blanks <_<

455B02D2-050A-48AE-96E8-1159627E0320.jpeg

This Winter so far could easily be well above normal for the LSV.

This month we have seen storms just miss us in every direction.

MDT is only around 3 inches below normal snow for season to date.

We will get our snow in February & March to get at least to normal for the season.

• Like 1

End of January question for the weather masses:

We close out the month with the sad reality that we've received 33% of the amount of snow that Atlantic City has season to date. There's been more snow north, west, south, and east of our area...

So - would you prefer a winter like this with lots of tracking with little ROI; or, would you rather have little to track so that everyone is losing out?

Me? I would pick the first option though admittedly it's getting a little shaky. This past weekend's storm started to wear on me a little. Even though we got exactly what I expected, this winter was to be lacking in big east coast storms. We JUST missed out on a big kahuna. Even Philly received about 8" (7.5" at PHL, 8.9" in NE Philly) Shift that 100 miles west and I wouldn't be asking the question that I did this morning. 

February is our snowiest month of the year so there's that...but there's no guarantee that we'll get anything. After 15-20 FEET of snow fell on the Sierra during the last half of December, they are going to finish January with a complete shutout and nothing on the horizon. Some winters, even snowy places just don't snow. 

Will this be a winter of lots of frustration and near misses or will things even out as Blizz suggests?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We close out the month with the sad reality that we've received 33% of the amount of snow that Atlantic City has season to date. There's been more snow north, west, south, and east of our area...

So - would you prefer a winter like this with lots of tracking with little ROI; or, would you rather have little to track so that everyone is losing out?

Me? I would pick the first option though admittedly it's getting a little shaky. This past weekend's storm started to wear on me a little. Even though we got exactly what I expected, this winter was to be lacking in big east coast storms. We JUST missed out on a big kahuna. Even Philly received about 8" (7.5" at PHL, 8.9" in NE Philly) Shift that 100 miles west and I wouldn't be asking the question that I did this morning. 

February is our snowiest month of the year so there's that...but there's no guarantee that we'll get anything. After 15-20 FEET of snow fell on the Sierra during the last half of December, they are going to finish January with a complete shutout and nothing on the horizon. Some winters, even snowy places just don't snow. 

Will this be a winter of lots of frustration and near misses or will things even out as Blizz suggests?

Great post and good questions.

This has been a frustrating month, but it has been full of near miss opportunities. There has been Lots of tracking but little ROI so far. The inland track coastal storm a couple of weeks ago could have produced more with a better track. 2 storms missed to our south that VA & NC cashed in on. A couple of Clippers that western & northern PA got 3 or 4 inches last week could have dropped 1 or 2 inches in the LSV with a slightly better track. Then, of course this weekend’s storm could have produced a much better even glancing hit or a flush hit if we had a better track with a little blocking.

I would rather track and have the frustration of missing out instead of experiencing a shut out pattern where no one scores.

Onward to February & March…. Hopefully it will be the LSV’s time to win!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

6z Gfs came in colder and more progressive for Friday am . Maybe a blip or trend 

Go pull the snow map up for this weekend as well as beyond.  

Dont have coffee in your mouth.  You'll be cleaning up your screen.  Fun to look at. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

well MAYBE just Maybe this one will score the coup. It has to be right sometime. Even a broken clock is right 2x a day.

But to that I say show me ANY model that has not been lost at some point this season.  

Ask a red tagger how frustrating it's been .  I bet they'd agree that nothing has come easy wrt forecasting here in the east this year.  No wonder us amateurs are frustrated.  

Down here in Lanco, decent snows w/ staying power have been all around us....and we get car toppers.  It's still mostly brown down here.  I'll just hope n pray the 6zGFS snow map is 1/3 - 1/2 right and I'll be giddier than all hell.

15" OTG this weekend at the cabin.  It's DEEP DEEP winter up there.  Snow has been on the ground since last weekend of November up there.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It's winter, and If I don't have anything to track, I've got no chance at snow....

I'll keep trackin thank you.....

Most in this forum have had snow on the ground for a few weeks now, and for some well over a month - to 2 months in northern tier.  While I realize much of the fun is the thrill of the chase, If i had what some of you have, I'd be just fine w/ where things are.  Thats just me though.  I like the look of winter.  As I "get around" between my job and my travels north, I've seen what others have, and I'm jealous.  Hasnt been great but this beats the hell out of a shutout, close the blinds pattern...if you truly are a snow lover.  

JMO's

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

It's winter, and If I don't have anything to track, I've got no chance at snow....

I'll keep trackin thank you.....

Most in this forum have had snow on the ground for a few weeks now, and for some well over a month - to 2 months in northern tier.  While I realize much of the fun is the thrill of the chase, If i had what some of you have, I'd be just fine w/ where things are.  Thats just me though.  I like the look of winter.  As I "get around" between my job and my travels north, I've seen what others have, and I'm jealous.  Hasnt been great but this beats the hell out of a shutout, close the blinds pattern...if you truly are a snow lover.  

JMO's

This week should be fun!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paweather said:

This week should be fun!

and as I perused the overnights....through the end of the runs, I'm not seeing any big sustained changes...

Looping throuh Ens guidance, outside of a couple brief warmups, the 2m temp anomalies show much more blue in the east.  Here is the end of the run, and yes, I know it can change, but everyone was chatting up a pattern change and the window closing. if it does, it's a brief one.  

gfs-ens_T2ma_namer_65.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

and as I perused the overnights....through the end of the runs, I'm not seeing any big sustained changes...

Looping throuh Ens guidance, outside of a couple brief warmups, the 2m temp anomalies show much more blue in the east.  Here is the end of the run, and yes, I know it can change, but everyone was chatting up a pattern change and the window closing. if it does, it's a brief one.  

gfs-ens_T2ma_namer_65.png

I kept hearing warmer warmer in Feb of course I don't see it

• Sad 1

I travel for my job throughout the Northeast and Mid Atlantic, and it lets me be witness to many snowstorms that I would miss being in Lancaster.

I have been through the November 2014 Lake Effect event in the Buffalo area and the February 2013 snowstorm in Connecticut (reports of 8” per hour).

Maybe just me, but there is nothing like a snowstorm in your own backyard.

2 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

I travel for my job throughout the Northeast and Mid Atlantic, and it lets me be witness to many snowstorms that I would miss being in Lancaster.

I have been through the November 2014 Lake Effect event in the Buffalo area and the February 2013 snowstorm in Connecticut (reports of 8” per hour).

Maybe just me, but there is nothing like a snowstorm in your own backyard.

I totally agree with this!  You get to fully enjoy it.  I have never understood chasing for that reason.  You might be in the middle of a great storm, but then you have to say goodbye to it.