Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

3 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Reading reports that the band you highlighted in your previous post is producing 4-6"/hour rates. That'll add to totals fairly quickly. :)

Okay - my Uncle is reporting 13.5" in Lewes. Cousin is reporting 14" about 2 miles inland from Bethany. 

Yet,  there are several posts in the NE thread bemoaning the fact that they will end up well below the well over stated Euro totals (for a large area, those totals appear they may happen in a smaller area South East of Boston).  LOL.  Some of them are crazy.  16-18" and it is a bust.  LOL. 

1 hour ago, MAG5035 said:

Final total was 1.4” I measured very early this morning. There was a nice little fluff band around 3-4am that added the extra. Temp is only 16ºF currently with a dewpoint under -6ºF, certainly a sign of an actual arctic airmass in place. Will have to see if I can get my 3rd below zero low this month tonight, the wind might keep that from happening. 

Well today’s Canadian and especially the Euro perfectly illustrate my point yesterday about not sleeping on that late week storm. Heck the Euro has 6+ of snow in a large portion of PA along with the ice referenced above. 

Yes, Thursday pm into Friday has been trending towards a better cold press with a solid wave running along the slowly moving front. 
The 12z Canadian & GFS are slowly trending southeast with the cold press and the 12z Euro showed how CTP can win in this set up.

Let’s see how this trends over the next couple of days.

2767E69D-7D4B-4E0A-BF9A-6609151FEB32.png

C9D0B48B-D17C-4AC6-AFC6-3686E58F929B.png

5B649CB0-66FF-47C3-A403-CCCE620253CC.png

2 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

Final total was 1.4” I measured very early this morning. There was a nice little fluff band around 3-4am that added the extra. Temp is only 16ºF currently with a dewpoint under -6ºF, certainly a sign of an actual arctic airmass in place. Will have to see if I can get my 3rd below zero low this month tonight, the wind might keep that from happening. 

Well today’s Canadian and especially the Euro perfectly illustrate my point yesterday about not sleeping on that late week storm. Heck the Euro has 6+ of snow in a large portion of PA along with the ice referenced above. 

Well, I just scoured through the 12z Euro and wow for this upcoming event.  It's going to have almost every form of precip during the course.  For MDT it starts off with 0,60" of rain; that is then followed with 0.37" of freezing rain with a significant 0.30" of ice accretion from the freezing rain; then it transitions fairly quickly over to snow (with a likely short period of sleet thrown in too) which quickly accumulates 6".  About 1.5" total qpf out of it, which is amazing if it plays out this way.  Definitely gets the tracking juices flowing again after our brief 24-hour break.  I haven't looked yet but I'm guessing that the arctic air comes running in behind the front which is tilted 45 degrees running SW to NE.  Potential fun times ahead as we begin our first week of February.

11 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, Thursday pm into Friday has been trending towards a better cold press with a solid wave running along the slowly moving front. 
The 12z Canadian & GFS are slowly trending southeast with the cold press and the 12z Euro showed how CTP can win in this set up.

Let’s see how this trends over the next couple of days.

2767E69D-7D4B-4E0A-BF9A-6609151FEB32.png

C9D0B48B-D17C-4AC6-AFC6-3686E58F929B.png

5B649CB0-66FF-47C3-A403-CCCE620253CC.png

Wow, Blizz, as usual I end up composing something that you are a few steps ahead of me with.  Maybe there's something there that you left out that I included?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

@Blizzard of 93

Ok, I did include something you didn't have which was quantifying the freezing rain portion of the storm as well as the preceding 0.60" of rain.  Now I feel better...lol.

Here is the trend on the Canadian from 12z yesterday to 12z today.

Check out difference in the low position.

The trend could be our friend this time for more wintry outcome.

9B490189-FBFC-4640-8B67-5C639EED9AFB.png

7AE42A1A-F8E3-4423-BBE1-A91083399FB9.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Well, I just scoured through the 12z Euro and wow for this upcoming event.  It's going to have almost every form of precip during the course.  For MDT it starts off with 0,60" of rain; that is then followed with 0.37" of freezing rain with a significant 0.30" of ice accretion from the freezing rain; then it transitions fairly quickly over to snow (with a likely short period of sleet thrown in too) which quickly accumulates 6".  About 1.5" total qpf out of it, which is amazing if it plays out this way.  Definitely gets the tracking juices flowing again after our brief 24-hour break.  I haven't looked yet but I'm guessing that the arctic air comes running in behind the front which is tilted 45 degrees running SW to NE.  Potential fun times ahead as we begin our first week of February.

It's been quite a long, long time since this senerio happened here in the Susquehanna Valley 

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yet,  there are several posts in the NE thread bemoaning the fact that they will end up well below the well over stated Euro totals (for a large area, those totals appear they may happen in a smaller area South East of Boston).  LOL.  Some of them are crazy.  16-18" and it is a bust.  LOL. 

Was out most of the day and was wondering how things were going up there. Saw one report from Taunton of 29.5" recently but not sure that Logan is going to come close to their record. 

One thing that seems to have verified was the wind - saw a list this morning of gusts over hurricane force.

14 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

If you want this move out to Pittsburgh. We have so many events over the years that we get 2 inches of snow, then ice, then plain rain.

It's not that. It the rain then freezing rain, and topped of with 6 in. Of snow. That has not happened here in the Susquehanna Valley for a long time 

2 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

It's not that. It the rain then freezing rain, and topped of with 6 in. Of snow. That has not happened here in the Susquehanna Valley for a long time 

It's hard to pin hopes on a good back-end snow event. You set yourself up for misery 9 times out of 10. Oh wait, that's most things in this hobby. LOL

1 minute ago, mahantango#1 said:

Just last week we had freezing rain which turned into 4” of snow.

The snow we had yesterday. Snowed all day fine flakes. 0.07” for the total.

So far, there are no reports (officially anyway) of totals over 20". Quoting a post on Facebook from the NWS Eastern Region HQ.
Snowfall reports received as of 230 pm Saturday. Highest totals by state so far: NJ - Bayville 19" NY - Bay Shore 18.5" MA - Norton 17.6" RI - Warren 17" DE - Lewes 14.2" CT - Ledyard Center 14.1" MD - Ocean Pines 14" TN - Mt. Leconte 12" WV - Rock Cave 11" NC - Burnsville 9.7" VA - Oak Hall 9.5" ME - East Machias 9" PA - Belmont 8.9" NH - Durham 7" KY - Lynch 6.5" OH - Albany 4.2" VT - Woodford 3" SC - Jefferson 2.6" DC - National Zoo 1.1" GA - Jasper 0.5"  

Oh, they will be coming.

54 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

It's hard to pin hopes on a good back-end snow event. You set yourself up for misery 9 times out of 10. Oh wait, that's most things in this hobby. LOL

This would be a front pushing through with energy left behind that then causes a second wave to develop that brings the frozen precip.

These are difficult to pull off, but we have scored in the past with this type of set up.

3 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Me too. It's just too cold. I don't mind seasonal cold, but when I have to wear a half load of laundry (layers) to work, it's just too much.

I guess we will stir-up a hornets nest within the forum on wanting warmer weather. I'm with you on seasonable cold but not this 10-20 below normal stuff. I like some snow too but these minor events and frigid conditions that seem to last a long time, not so much. 

• Like 1