Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

6 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Hey @Blizzard of 93!

Look what we have to look forward to after our rain storm next week!  This is Day 9-10 where it appears there is a battle going on between the arctic trying to come back in while fighting off the southeast ridge...

snku_024h.us_ne.png

Great work Sir! I was actually going to post some of these maps this morning to try to give us something good to look forward to next week.

Good to see our next chance not too far out.

5 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Thanks, @MAG5035.  The run was only up to around 270 when I went to post just that one storm.  I went back in to see the rest and it certainly does look nice.  Here are several snow maps for the entire 0Z run using Kuchera:

First the national map:

snku_acc.conus.png

Next, the northeast regional:

snku_acc.us_ne.png

And finally, our state:

snku_acc.us_state_pa.png

It looks like roughly 80% of PA has over 24" for the 384 hours.  A few other notables were the following states which had almost 100% coverage of 24"+.  Those states were West Virginia, New York, Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire.  Finally, go look down at Alabama which has roughly 50% coverage of 6"+, and Mississippi which has about 20-25% coverage of 3"+.  Pretty amazing.  Of course I know much of this will change in just a few hours.  But, it at least takes a bit of the sting out of our coastal calamity, and also shows that a more permanent pattern of warmth in the East may very well be still more than 2 weeks away.

The 0z GFS run was beautiful.

If that comes close verifying, many of us would be near or over climo average snow for the season by February 11th.

Meanwhile in the real world: It's -5°F currently. While not as impressive as the -17°F I experienced picking the girlfriend up at work last week in Houtzdale, still damned cold. This month has honestly given me every bit the winter experience I desire on an annual basis, minus a major, double-digit snow. 

Hopefully the rest of the forum gets a nice snow before spring so we all get the fun.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Hey @Blizzard of 93!

Look what we have to look forward to after our rain storm next week!  This is Day 9-10 where it appears there is a battle going on between the arctic trying to come back in while fighting off the southeast ridge...

snku_024h.us_ne.png

Long ways away but thanks I like having something to track!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Meanwhile in the real world: It's -5°F currently. While not as impressive as the -17°F I experienced picking the girlfriend up at work last week in Houtzdale, still damned cold. This month has honestly given me every bit the winter experience I desire on an annual basis, minus a major, double-digit snow. 

Hopefully the rest of the forum gets a nice snow before spring so we all get the fun.

You must be in a hot spot up there haha, there’s three weather stations in and around Philipsburg on the Ambient site and two of them were just recently under -17ºF and the other is like -14ºF. There’s a South Philipsburg one on Mesowest that was -14ºF. 

1475879647_AmbientWeather.thumb.png.18f60b3ed07714d303ead6ed64318875.png

It bottomed out at -5ºF here about half an hour ago, which is pretty impressive for being in town. Still about -2ºF. Impressive cold all up and down the 99 corridor as you can see on the above map and also the Mesowest map below.

537663170_MesoWestSurfaceWeatherMaps.thumb.png.2a7ae9139ff15960963c605a5942e270.png

Bottomed out at 6 here.  Looks like the big winner nationally was Masardis, ME at -39.  Well, it appears the models are in full windshield wiper mode.  We could see anything from eastern Lancaster County getting damn near 6 inches to coastal NJ getting damn near nothing.  I'd place my bet on somewhere on the MA peninsula between Boston and Cape Cod being the big winner with this one.  On to 12z......

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

You must be in a hot spot up there haha, there’s three weather stations in and around Philipsburg on the Ambient site and two of them were just recently under -17ºF and the other is like -14ºF. There’s a South Philipsburg one on Mesowest that was -14ºF. 

1475879647_AmbientWeather.thumb.png.18f60b3ed07714d303ead6ed64318875.png

It bottomed out at -5ºF here about half an hour ago, which is pretty impressive for being in town. Still about -2ºF. Impressive cold all up and down the 99 corridor as you can see on the above map and also the Mesowest map below.

537663170_MesoWestSurfaceWeatherMaps.thumb.png.2a7ae9139ff15960963c605a5942e270.png

You want to explain to me how it's -3 in Huntingdon and 6 above at Snyder's run? Lol

2 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 6z RGEM has Advisory snow for most of the LSV.

Warning level snow gets to eastern Lancaster & Berks counties.

F6A036E6-A148-474F-9DD4-60F65CB55D2F.png

2 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Bottomed out at 6 here.  Looks like the big winner nationally was Masardis, ME at -39.  Well, it appears the models are in full windshield wiper mode.  We could see anything from eastern Lancaster County getting damn near 6 inches to coastal NJ getting damn near nothing.  I'd place my bet on somewhere on the MA peninsula between Boston and Cape Cod being the big winner with this one.  On to 12z......

If you take this map that Blizz posted, erode the western edge of precip by about 50 miles, and that would get snow most likely to the Philly metro area, which seems to be in line with what Mt. Holly is thinking right now. Wouldn't be surprised if PHL picks up about 2" while Cape May gets to 10". 

2 hours ago, Ruin said:

I thought the one over night model was still out to the east? from the things I read at least I hope to wake up to a diff forecast lol

As per disco above, they are discounting the model that many of us have been thinking deserves credit, the GFS.  How funny is that??

This disco above is why I love this sport and why peeps should'nt speak in absolute terms when discussing storms.  To see the "big dogs" struggling with this should give us a sense of calm...well it does me anyway, and makes alot of our disco in here legit IMO.  

Hoping todays runs tug this thing further west and get some of us back in the game.  I wont be here, so it'll probably snow a foot.   

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

As per disco above, they are discounting the model that many of us have been thinking deserves credit, the GFS.  How funny is that??

This disco above is why I love this sport and why peeps should'nt speak in absolute terms when discussing storms.  To see the "big dogs" struggling with this should give us a sense of calm...well it does me anyway, and makes alot of our disco in here legit IMO.  

Hoping todays runs tug this thing further west and get some of us back in the game.  I wont be here, so it'll probably snow a foot.   

Thanks Nut for not being here. :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, paweather said:

Thanks Nut for not being here. :D

The stuff I do for the forum to get snow...........

I'll be at the cabin snowmobiling where there is a solid 12"+ otg so I'll not be complaining.  Son has to stay home for snow removal (heavy equip operator), so thats the only bummer for me.  

I hope this sneaks back up on us and ya'll get pummeled.  I'll be cheerin yas on from Tioga and look forward to more trackin next week.

• Like 1

Just now, pasnownut said:

The stuff I do for the forum to get snow...........

I'll be at the cabin snowmobiling where there is a solid 12"+ otg so I'll not be complaining.  Son has to stay home for snow removal (heavy equip operator), so thats the only bummer for me.  

I hope this sneaks back up on us and ya'll get pummeled.  I'll be cheerin yas on from Tioga and look forward to more trackin next week.

Yeah figured you were going up to your cabin have fun! 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, paweather said:

Some snow:

namconus_ref_frzn_us_25.png

Looking like the snows out in front of the arctic boundary are showing up again.  tha'll set the mood right for many that already have snow, and help those of us that have been staring at snow piles, as we've been brown for a while.  

• Like 1