• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

I was surprised that my high temp. yesterday reached 28. One thing I noticed is the sun is gaining elevation here and I'm getting about 30 min of more sun a day since the winter solace. That in itself is a step in the right direction especially where I live with living at the mountain.  Even though we still have plenty of winter left to deal with.

20 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

For today, the 12z Euro still brings near 1 inch of snow from Harrisburg on north I’m the Susquehanna Valley.

76FE9937-4C3F-44F5-A5DA-947955DD7B8D.png

59AE86F4-E3B6-48F0-B929-631DCF686420.png

Still wants to "mini jackpot" me here in the Skook. I did see a few flurries when I was up the road from the house in Hometown. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 12z Canadian was close for CTP for next weekend’s coastal chance.

This run it brings a few inches of snow the the Susquehanna Valley, while heavy amounts are towards the Lehigh Valley to the east.

Only 50 to 100 mile westward adjustment needed over the next 5 days to make this work for many of us.

C56098B2-2298-46D7-A8AE-26DE9624433F.png

C747C89D-D905-44BB-813C-F40BDA8D4E33.png

B19D246A-40EF-42A2-841A-207B1FAA351D.png

There's fairly good agreement that a vigorous disturbance will drop southward through the central US into the Southeast from Thursday into Friday. However, the same issues (progressive pattern/lack of blocking) that prevented last night's storm from intensifying and making the turn up the East Coast may very well be present again on the 28th-29th. As is typical in 2nd-year La Nina winters, the northern branch of the jet stream continues to be much more dominant and energetic than the southern branch. There's also been a large distance between disturbances in the northern and southern branch, making it more difficult for them to merge (or "phase") with one another. The only time this has truly happened this winter was on January 16-17, so the odds are against it occurring again so soon. In addition, there's really no indication that the southern branch of the jet stream will be active next weekend, making it essential for the northern branch disturbance to quickly and rapidly intensify. Given that the ridge axis in the West will likely be several hundred miles to the east of Boise, Idaho, rapid intensification is unlikely until it's "too late in the game," meaning that I'm currently favoring a "miss" here in the Lower Susquehanna Valley. Traditionally, northern-branch storm systems take longer to intensify that what's suggested many days in advance, especially in the midst of a progressive weather pattern. The large-scale pattern, despite what individual runs of computer models might suggest, simply doesn't appear like it'll be aligned right for there to be a significant snowfall in the mid-Atlantic next weekend.

- MU's Directory of Meteorology's perspective for next weekend. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Festus said:

As has been the case here recently, blue overhead on radar, slate gray sky ... and ... bupkis.  DP is 16 so sure looks like bupkis will continue for quite a bit longer.

It’s 36 here anyway so this is a toss if you want any accumulation this afternoon. Too warm for a marginal clipper to do anything worthwhile - maybe later it cools and we get lucky. 

17 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

@MAG5035

Are you getting Clipper snow yet today?

Do you think the LSV has a chance of sneaking out 1 inch of snow out of this today?

What do you think of the coastal chance next week?

Yea had an initial bout of steady snow that’s put down a light coating on snow surfaces and some of the best stuff is moving in from western PA now with a decent steady snow resuming, so we’ll see how much make’s it off the Laurels.

I still think it’s doable to see a coating up to an inch in parts of the Sus Valley since better stuff will be trying to come in late afternoon. Actually looks like some patchy snow is trying to develop (via LWX radar) from H-burg south between 81 and 83, so will have to see what reaches the ground. Again it’s going to depend on the downsloping component. The stuff in western PA actually looks pretty decent. Short/near term guidance has been bringing the best stripe of snow across closer to 80. So I would favor the best chance of the T-1 to be H-burg north… but I think anyone in here has a chance at seeing something. 

Still not high on the coastal chance next weekend. At the moment this may back in enough to be a New England or even Mid-Atlantic east of I-95 event but I think our only chance of snow from that may come from the actual northern stream disturbance that eventually fires the coastal.. which would probably be a lighter event like we’re seeing today. The MU director’s take that @Itstrainingtimeshared I think sums up that situation pretty well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, canderson said:

It’s 36 here anyway so this is a toss if you want any accumulation this afternoon. Too warm for a marginal clipper to do anything worthwhile - maybe later it cools and we get lucky. 

Dew points are very low…temps will cool back off a few degrees once a little better precip arrives, plus it’s been frigid the last few days…I think most snow that we manage to get will stick no problem.

28ºF moderate snow. 1.7” now on the snowboard. 2” seems pretty attainable, I wonder if this can squeeze out 3” here. I think CTP should have issued advisories for at least the Laurel’s and maybe even a few of the central counties to match up with PBZ’s expansion of advisories they did overnight last night. If it’s a fluff bomb here at 1300’ it’s definitely one up at 2-3k feet in the Laurels. There have also been some issues on I-99 this afternoon, esp in Centre County. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Unreal on radar...snowing to my west, snowing to my east, and a bupkis (hi @Festus) sandwich here.  Temp 34.0 dew point 20, wet bulb 29.  I'm pretty sure there is enough cooling potential present to get back down below freezing IF the snow ever starts. :cry:

It looks like the good band of precip has pushed east of the mountains and should be on our doorstep soon. There is precip all the way back to eastern Ohio that will hopefully ride east along the turnpike this evening.

I still want my inch of snow…lol!