Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

16 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Also...what's going on with the bitterly cold temps for tonight? At 7pm I was at 15. Nearly 3 hours later, it's 18. 

Cloud cover could be a part of it maybe, looked like the LSV was under the high cloud deck most of the early evening from the system that is currently a Carolina snow/ice event. 

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Impressive.  What town are you nearest in Pa

I”m within the city of Altoona but on the corner of town only a couple miles from the Allegheny Front. I would imagine there’s already a couple spots outside of town that are below zero. On Mesowest there’s a station at the lower end of my county at -1ºF and I also saw a station on the outskirts of State College reporting a -4ºF. 

Temp has been plummeting during the past hour, down 4 degrees to my low of the day, 9.3 degrees.  I expect to be close to 8.5 before the day ends in 15 minutes.  NWS forecast low for tonight is 5.  Last night it was 2.  I think I've got a shot close to zero.  We'll see how close I come in the morning.  Coldest minimum so far this season was 4.5 degrees earlier in the week.  I just love having a nice snow cover going into a clear, calm night.  Radiational cooling at its most efficient.  Down to 9.1 as I post this.

3 minutes ago, Ruin said:

This saddens me all this cold air going to waste.

We have 3 chances at snow this coming week and it snowed twice this week that is just ending. MDT is within 1 inch of normal average snow for the season to date.
This January has been great for this Winter weather fan and the best may be yet to come soon.

5 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The GFS, Euro & ICON all have a LSV bullseye for the little Sunday night Clipper.

i would mind a quick 1 to 2 inches of snow to start the week and to freshen up the snow piles.

You are the Eveready Bunny of optimism.  :scooter:

I'm getting a wee bit nervous about "my" storm.  Looks like its following the lead of "trainers" storm....lol

Early AM runs just pushed it way south.  Flow at 500 has been flattening and losing the troughy look from a couple days ago and may be the kiss of death.

Not giving up yet for sure, but its concerning.  

5 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 0z GFS still has southern PA snow on Tuesday pm despite the northern & southern stream not getting together this run.

Again, I would take another light Advisory level event.

A19144E4-89F5-44A9-8EF5-0AC1C8995373.png

6436C88E-D41A-4ADA-970F-C39C104E568C.png

and as soon as I saw the separation, that's the big problem as the SS has no reason to climb and will likely scoot of Carolina coast.  Arggh

5 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Good morning!

I will gladly lose Tuesday if it means that we get the coastal goods next weekend!

The 6z GFS delivered!

Maps coming soon..

Yeah I saw them.  Central NYS and up into NE, 40-50+through the run.  Next weekend was an eastern Pa event and verbatim a NJ storm.  Its a big one for sure tho.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_28.png

9 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Blizz, I guess i should state that I'm getting to a point w/ basically no snow cover here in Lanco, that I'm not up for sacrificing ANY event at this juncture.  

Went to Palymra yesterday and they have enough to snowmobile.  Im brown down here.

I understand, I’d feel the same way.

We have about 1 inch compacted in the yard and some decent piles from plowed streets.

Dropped a little more to -4.4 which is the low so far for the morning. Can I go a little lower, or did I hit the bottom as it's already 7:30am?

And for fun, I looked around the state and there's a lot of double digit sub-zero lows, including -18 at Tobyhanna, -19 at Gouldsboro, and -20 at Thornhurst, all on personal stations in the Poconos...

12 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Dropped a little more to -4.4 which is the low so far for the morning. Can I go a little lower, or did I hit the bottom as it's already 7:30am?

And for fun, I looked around the state and there's a lot of double digit sub-zero lows, including -18 at Tobyhanna, -19 at Gouldsboro, and -20 at Thornhurst, all on personal stations in the Poconos...

Per NWS -19 at the cabin.  Thats the lowest I've ever seen it.  Brrr

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

@pasnownut 

The 6z GFS is a winner for all of us.

The eastern half of PA gets hit nicely with snow from a great track just off of the DelMarVa.

Thx.  I saw it and yes, its nice.  500's look great and only concern is that the Ens guidance is notably east of the op, so I'm cautious w/ my optimism.  Normally we'd say "right where we want it", but the southern slider theme cannot be ignored this year....