• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

The clipper that came on Tuesday after the Blizzard on Sunday in 96 prompted me to write a letter to the mets at Weather World. My question was answered by Sam Perugini who was an on-air met at the time. I still have his letter to me safely inside my college Meteorology textbook. 

@Birdbean- that 6 to 8 hour thump you're referring to - that came with the coastal that Friday. I had to drive to York that morning and it took me nearly 2 hours to get from the Mt. Zion Road exit back to the Centerville. I measured 11" from that storm and it all fell in just about 6-7 hours. That was a very heavy wet snow that tapered off to drizzle in the afternoon hours. 

• Like 1

The clipper that came on Tuesday after the Blizzard on Sunday in 96 prompted me to write a letter to the mets at Weather World. My question was answered by Sam Perugini who was an on-air met at the time. I still have his letter to me safely inside my college Meteorology textbook. 
[mention=9753]Birdbean[/mention]- that 6 to 8 hour thump you're referring to - that came with the coastal that Friday. I had to drive to York that morning and it took me nearly 2 hours to get from the Mt. Zion Road exit back to the Centerville. I measured 11" from that storm and it all fell in just about 6-7 hours. That was a very heavy wet snow that tapered off to drizzle in the afternoon hours. 

Actually the clipper only dumped about 3” of snow.

Another storm a couple days later dropped 11”.

Jan 7-8 storm
Jan 9 clipper
Jan 12 storm

13 at my casa in brownville...

That's still plenty cold for me.  I'll leave the jostling for position on the cold board to you norther/westers.  Have at it ya whackos..:D

Truth told cold isnt bothering me nearly as much as the last couple years, so I'll just enjoy it....especially if the Tuesday deal can work out for us.  GFS still says keep an eye on it.  ICON not far from something either..CMC came on board w/ the idea as well.  I think via surface panels, they are understating the cold, as you look at 700/850's, we should be ok.  

Oh, and just for fun, go look at the 384 GFS.  That's one hellava frontal boundary.  Even though it likely changes a bunch ot time, thats impressive to see a 1055HP.  

TGIF.

47 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

The Blizzard of 96 primarily fell on a Sunday into Monday morning. On Tuesday, a clipper raced through- I measured 2" in Centerville but areas south of here in MD had up to 6-8". Finally, a coastal delivered 11" here that Friday. I have all of this written out in great detail.

The following week brought a massive rainfall combined with temperatures in the 50s to completely obliterate what was still a 2' snowpack in the matter of 8-10 hours. By Saturday the main stem Susquehanna was way out of its banks. 

24 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

Actually the clipper only dumped about 3” of snow.

Another storm a couple days later dropped 11”.

Jan 7-8 storm
Jan 9 clipper
Jan 12 storm

:)  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Festus said:

Climate Prediction Center long range forecast released yesterday shows way below average temperatures for the next 6 - 10 days, average for days 8 - 14 and a February torch for their 1 month outlook.

I noted this in Western PA, but a reminder from a year ago:

23CC51F8-77C0-4C5A-BF40-A32F8CEE314B.jpeg.056f14cd1979eda46fe6dd7e20fc2e51.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Festus said:

Climate Prediction Center long range forecast released yesterday shows way below average temperatures for the next 6 - 10 days, average for days 8 - 14 and a February torch for their 1 month outlook.

And this is why I think that monster storm on the 12z yesterday will happen. It's the pattern buster. It'll also be the last hurrah of a winter that kinda wasn't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paweather said:

I'll take my 1-3 WWA snow

Yeah I'm not picky about what kind of snow....just want snow.  My hunch from a couple days ago still has a shot at something. Hope so, and if not, well just another way to fail.  Me thinks a nice little WAA event would ease the pain of us snow starved ones, while those that have concrete base just get a refresher.   gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_17.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atomixwx said:

And this is why I think that monster storm on the 12z yesterday will happen. It's the pattern buster. It'll also be the last hurrah of a winter that kinda wasn't.

Look at that beast on the 12z GFS. Two feet of snow along the GA/SC line.

9 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Don't worry the 84 hr NAM will shit on everybody's dreams. All kidding aside looks like a big storm is a huge possibility during this time period.

Exactly. It'll be days before any details become clear even if there is indeed a storm - but various models are picking up on the powderkeg waiting to be detonated...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Canadian nooner looks like it'll please @TimB84 - looks farther inland and primed to wallop the 'Burgh. 

I’m not holding my breath on this one, it’s over a week out. If I had to bet, there will be a good snowfall somewhere, but it really could be anywhere if it does happen.