Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

12 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

I think the more inside track of the low was what allowed the NAM to “nail” the warm surge since the low pressure ended up going right over my head. I bottomed out at 981mb this morning a few hours ago, probably the lowest MSLP around here since Hurricane Sandy. The low coming in this far really didn’t become evident on guidance until the near term yesterday since the consensus had generally been curling the rapidly deepening low into eastern PA, not dead center in the state. That was enough of a difference to not only allow a changeover to rain but also get some of the heavier rain and wind tapped down with the occluded frontal passage before the dry slot into the Sus Valley. NAM  never really saw the half decent front end snows in the LSV until it was already happening. All models weren’t cold enough at the beginning of the storm either from the Laurels eastward in the state. 

Thanks for mentioning the fact that the NAM did not see any of the front end snow until it was almost underway yesterday.

It had the right idea about mixing winning out earlier than expected and taking the mix deeper into PA than other models showed, but had no clue on CTP snow.

The other models each had their good & their flaws with the storm over the course of the week.

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Understanding that its a timing situation, its still very strange the GFS and Euro are so far apart when the EPS is solidly behind the op.  I see some more GFS like positions on that EPS map but more tucked. 

The GFS & Canadian has had this storm in previous runs just in the past couple of days.

By 12z tomorrow I think the consensus will be building towards this event.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:
  • First week of January
  • Temps below 20 at onset and throughout the duration of the storm
  • Instant stickage to all surfaces immediately
  • 30" of snow with a layer of sleet mixed in on the surface
  • Temps in the teens by day, zero or below at night for at least the following 3-5 days
  • Minimal drifting - drifting leaves too many open areas exposed that quickly become green even when it's cold

This brought a tear to my eye…perfect!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Same here in Marysville.

All surfaces covered again.

Final event total to be determined!

Not done yet!

I picked up another .5 of snow with that last round earlier this evening.

It was beautiful shoveling the snow & slop from last night while watching it snow in the headlights and street lights.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Jonesy56 said:

I think this was actually remarkably well modeled here in the Capital region (outside of some stingy NAM runs).. Mesos even at range consistently showed onset around 5 pm and changing to sleet between 9-10 pm w/ accumulations in the 4-5 inch range… that’s exactly what has happened here a few miles NE of hbg.. and looking back to global OPs runs from Weds, I think they were pretty good at nailing the upper-levels and general progression/timing.. certainly never budged off of the atypical inland track idea that resulted in our widespread taintage followed by dryslot.. no complaints here!! Glad everyone seems to have gotten something decent out of this fickle beast! Felt like we were tracking this one for a month.

Fantastic post!

I agree… in the Harrisburg area, most global Ops and major ensembles had this area in the 4 to 5 inch snow range prior to the changeover for the last few days.

The clueless NAM had no snow in PA until it was underway, & it was still under done.

Between last night, this morning & this evening, altogether I ended up with 5 inches of snow between the 3 rounds of this event.

7 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Fantastic post!

I agree… in the Harrisburg area, most global Ops and major ensembles had this area in the 4 to 5 inch snow range prior to the changeover for the last few days.

The clueless NAM had no snow in PA until it was underway, & it was still under done.

Between last night, this morning & this evening, altogether I ended up with 5 inches of snow between the 3 rounds of this event.

The nam had no snow in pa?  I am assuming you mean too little snow in the lsv where it was too warm in the UL's.

14 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The nam had no snow in pa?  I am assuming you mean too little snow in the lsv where it was too warm in the UL's.

Yes, mostly I meant it showed no snow for the LSV, but it also had very little compared to other models for the I-99 corridor that did well yesterday with snow.

Every model had their good, bad & ugly for this event.

At the end of the day, we put some snow on the board and had a very interesting action packed event to track.