Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

This storm was crazy!!

I ended up going to bed with a lot of snow. I should have measured.

Got up in the morning and had 5.5” of snow. And my weather station was showing 0.87” of rain.

I’m guessing I had over 7.0” of snow . 

Talk about a miserable snow to clean up. 300’ driveway. 

The weekend storm on the GFS look like it has 2 lows.  :wacko:

32 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

So what does everyone think about the differences for SECS-MECS-HECS.  Not going to talk BECS.  LOL.  I have always used something like this when just considering snow.

SECS: 8-16

MECS: 17-24

HECS: 24+

SECS: 6-12"

MECS: 12-20"

HECS: 20+"  

This is how I always look at it. 20+ would be top 10 storms worthy of their own recognition and name/date combo (ie. Blizzard of 96, Snowmagedon, PDII, etc.)

• Thanks 1

Well I've waited all afternoon for Blue Mountain to stop eating up all my LES and it finally gave in.  Moderate snow here now, blowing around, but intense enough to be accumulating.  Another bonus, it sent my temperature down from 32 to 29!

>>Snowboard is covered in white now with 0.1" of new, additional snow.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Festus said:

As we debate the various X-ECS, riddle me this.  If you could design the perfect winter storm for PA, how would it evolve, what features would be where and when, etc.  Must use parameters that are in the realm of possibility.

I would take February 5, 2010, and expand the precip shield another 100 miles.

5 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Well I've waited all afternoon for Blue Mountain to stop eating up all my LES and it finally gave in.  Moderate snow here now, blowing around, but intense enough to be accumulating.  Another bonus, it sent my temperature down from 32 to 29!

I’ve been wishing that my way as well.  I guess we’ll see if it makes it to York.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

So what does everyone think about the differences for SECS-MECS-HECS.  Not going to talk BECS.  LOL.  I have always used something like this when just considering snow.

SECS: 8-16

MECS: 17-24

HECS: 24+

Just seeing this...what a day at work. We are missing a TON of people due to illness. 

In my mind, and I'm an overthinker - amounts are a good starting point for sure, but it's only part of my consideration. For example, 8" of wind-driven snow is different than 8" of mid-March paste that is largely gone in 4 hours. So sometimes smaller amounts seem more significant to me than larger amounts do at other times. 

I like everyone's input - really, it is our own personal perception. Only thing I'd add to each list is the BECS criteria. For me, that's anything greater than 36". I say this because LNS has never had a storm that large, so that would be of biblical proportions to me. 

21 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

Superstorm 93 shifted about 50 miles east.

If you had gotten your wish I would have gotten 2 feet of all snow instead of 13" of snow followed by 5" of sleet.  I was in north Jersey back in '93.  That might have been the last time until today that a low passed close enough to me to drop to its lowest pressure.  Back then the superstorm passed by just 10 miles east of me.  It went west of Newark and east of me (15 miles west).  I only went up to 27 degrees and stayed in sleet while Newark airport shot up to 38 degrees with rain for a time.  The pressure of that storm as it passed by me was 969 millibars, or 28.61".