Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

The nam kinda nailed that extreme warm surge. The euro … failed. Again. 

Honestly basically everything failed outside the NAM. It showed our dryslot and mixing since Thursday. THe RGEM, GFS, HRRR, CMC all were showing me with a foot plus up until this morning. The NAM was the only one to heavily dry slot us and mix.

4 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Honestly basically everything failed outside the NAM. It showed our dryslot and mixing since Thursday. THe RGEM, GFS, HRRR, CMC all were showing me with a foot plus up until this morning. The NAM was the only one to heavily dry slot us and mix.

It busted bad in the LSV though and I believe in the western MD area that got nearly a foot today. 

3 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Dry slot life. The worst. 

Finally seeing ours fill back in over PGH

Yea I think you guys will still salvage some more snow even though the best deform ended up NW of the city. It should still swing back through some as the storm lifts up out of central PA overnight and probably rebuild some. Definitely been a fascinating storm to watch. 

2 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

Had 5” of nice powder before mixing with sleet sometime around midnight. Thankfully got dryslotted around 1am and still eyeballing 5” so not much compaction. Temp at 29.1

There some regeneration of precip on radar down this way and it’s straight light freezing rain, so now the pack is crusted over already. 

5 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

There some regeneration of precip on radar down this way and it’s straight light freezing rain, so now the pack is crusted over already. 

Was wondering if that was freezing rain. Have seen some future radar depicting a brief period of freezing rain around 3:45am and then back to some snow again around 4am.

Think we’ll get any additional accumulation?

Agree…has been an interesting storm. If you could pick and choose various parts from all the models would have to say they nailed it. lol

• Like 1

Went above freezing at 2:40am with showery rain thereafter. Currently at 34º and temps should start falling. Not expecting much, if any, additional accumulation. And certainly no drifting no matter how strong the winds get. The rain ruined that possibility.

Hate it when a nice, dry 5” of snow gets ruined by ending as sleet and then plain rain. You can say what you want about a solid snowpack, but this kind of sucks. Then again, certainly made out better than many of you to the south and east. Guess I should count myself as lucky overall with this one.

Sure looks cold after Wednesday—especially on the Euro—so this pack should stick around for awhile; helping get those nightly lows down. Will maybe even get to zero for the first time this season.

So I am in a temperature holding pattern at the moment. It's been stuck on 35.1 for awhile now. I had 3.5" of snow before it mixed and switched to sleet. I'd say about another inch of the mix fell after that (rain compaction likely, though) for a total that I'm calling at my house of 4.5 inches. It's not official by any means, but it's in the ballpark.

So far, I'm still at home. Only one driver went in so far, and he said that if no others show up, he's going home. He said roads in my area had heavy slush on them and were rutted. One would think that the plows and the salt with a fairly high temperature would do them well, unless there's not a lot of plows out due to the holiday and schools being off.

Anyway, I'm taking a "wait a bit" approach as to whether I go in.

• Like 1

What a storm!

Currently, it's 33.8 with -SN falling once again. Current pressure is 29.02"

I picked up 3.7" of total snow/sleet accumulation, followed by a drenching 1.03" of rainfall. Heaviest rain fell between 11:30pm and 12:00am when .46" fell accompanied by strong winds and at least one flash of lightning. 

Surprisingly, the yard is still 100% covered. The sleet helped it survive the onslaught. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

Found cap shingles off my roof while shoveling early this morning. I can't believe we didn't lose power with that wind.  

My impression over all these years is that one thing you can count on with winter storms is that the forecasted winds always underperform. Not with this bad boy. It was raging late last evening. I fully expected to end up in the dark and was shocked that I didn't. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

Found cap shingles off my roof while shoveling early this morning. I can't believe we didn't lose power with that wind.  

Ouch…that’s no fun. You seem to get an unusual lot of wind. Used to live in the Harrisburg area and fished the river - am guessing you get wind from being at the base of the mountain and the wind coming downriver?

1 minute ago, kerplunk said:

Ouch…that’s no fun. You seem to get an unusual lot of wind. Used to live in the Harrisburg area and fished the river - am guessing you get wind from being at the base of the mountain and the wind coming downriver?

correct. I have lived here my entire life and it seems each year it gets worse. (wind) 

6 hours ago, canderson said:

The nam kinda nailed that extreme warm surge. The euro … failed. Again. 

The Nam's snow maps the last few runs were closer to reality but the 1-2" it showed for the LSV initially busted low.  Here is 6Z yesterday, basically 24 hours ago, and it was not too bad.   I am guessing overall it did the best as most other models understated the warm intrusion and dry slot.

image.png.6bd8c16e2141fd657ee42e022ba40360.png

2 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

correct. I have lived here my entire life and it seems each year it gets worse. (wind) 

Pretty area. I spent countless hours wading the river bass fishing those rapids and islands up around Perdix and Banks Tower. Great fishing and awesome scenery; especially in the fall when the water was cooler and the island grasses and mountain foliage was turning. There were some old eel flumes out there that were great for smallmouth using lures. Fond memories for sure. But the river really changed a lot after Agnes and I never felt as  comfortable wading familiar spots after that.

• Like 1

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

The Nam's snow maps the last few runs were closer to reality but the 1-2" it showed for the LSV initially busted low.  Here is 6Z yesterday, basically 24 hours ago, and it was not too bad.   I am guessing overall it did the best as most other models understated the warm intrusion and dry slot.

Morning -

I was thinking about this on my way to the office today...overall though, looking at reports from OH, NY, and western PA it "seemed" to me like the NAM did better than most. I guess with a system this complex AND dynamic there will be areas of joy and sorrow, but the NAM's original insistence on how far N&W the mixed precip would get was pretty darn good I think. 

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Radar doesn’t look great but it’s snowing pretty good right now over here.    

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

Morning -

I was thinking about this on my way to the office today...overall though, looking at reports from OH, NY, and western PA it "seemed" to me like the NAM did better than most. I guess with a system this complex AND dynamic there will be areas of joy and sorrow, but the NAM's original insistence on how far N&W the mixed precip would get was pretty darn good I think. 

Yea, when the storm first got into the Nam's range of 84, it showed what most here PA, MD, VA did not want and as usual there was a lot of "the Nam is out of range" talk.  This happens every year.  Sometimes the Nam screws up royally but it seems to be that outside being low on snow totals to start (re too much warm intrusion in the UL's), it did quite good at foretelling the important parts of the storm.