• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

Here in Carlisle at 11:00pm...the temperature has risen another 2.5 degrees over the past hour and has just reached 30.0.  Pressure continuing its rapid decline, now reading 29.48" or 998 millibars and is falling at a rate of 0.11"/hr which is the same rate it's been falling at for the past 4 hours!  Not much sleet is falling now.  Primarily light freezing rain, which won't be freezing anymore if the rate of 4.5 degrees per hour increase continues for another half-hour.  My guess is that it starts to slow down soon.  The first gusts of wind have just rattled the house...just 10mph but they've been calm the whole night up until now.  I'll be staying up for one more hourly ob at midnight then it's lights out until morning.

32 minutes ago, canderson said:

Didn’t have that on my bingo card tonight. 

That line could be the mechanism I mentioned yesterday that would be needed to tap the high low level winds and provide some semblance of the high surface wind gusts that models like the GFS have been showing a lot leading up to this. Will have to keep an eye on it the next couple hours to see what sneaks up into the LSV. Specifically this portion.

270894613_Screenshot2022-01-16at11_31_02PM.thumb.png.e2739f9a10035df1dc329bdae82fbf52.png

• Like 1

CTP did hoist wind products (advisory for 15-25 gusts to 50mph) for good portion of the area in the wake of the system tomorrow and incorporated wind impact into the ongoing warning in the Laurel’s. Also didn’t completely rule out needing a blizzard warning there tomorrow either.

Per short term portion of the discussion:

Strong gradient in wake of departing low and a strong
isallobaric couplet noted in model data Monday, particularly
across the southwest part of the forecast area. Bufkit
soundings in this part of the state support gusts in excess of
40kts, so have hoisted a wind advisory and incorporated the
winds into the WSW over the Laurels. These winds should produce
considerable blowing/drifting across the Alleghenies with
locally poor visibilities on Monday. Not convinced that there
will be frequent 1/4sm visibilities because the snow will be
much lighter Monday. However, wouldn`t rule out the possibility
of needing to upgrade to a blizzard warning over the Laurel
Highlands Monday.

7 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

8.1”.   That’s the highest I’ve seen image.thumb.png.35b4f2a870b263d1db63e9396bdc070e.png

Thanks, makes me feel a bit better.  Just up the hill from me. Surprised they are that high but if they held snow for an extra 30-45 min, that would have given them 1-2 more" at the rate it was coming down.  It was sleeting so hard that I had to do my driveway again to get it off. 

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Thanks, makes me feel a bit better.  Just up the hill from me. Surprised they are that high but if they held snow for an extra 30-45 min, that would have given them 1-2 more" at the rate it was coming down.  It was sleeting so hard that I had to do my driveway again to get it off. 

That surprises me a bit but depending where it was measured, you’re approaching 1600ft.    Only thing higher would be back pen mar to high rock 

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

Just had another gust to 40.  Coming out of the East and hitting a different side of the house, than normal, is making for some strange and unsettling sounds.  Really surprised we still have power.

That me with NW winds. East / South / due west isn’t as bad / scary. String NW ones hit the bedroom corner and yes I can’t sleep.  

• Like 1

At 11:58pm in Carlisle, the temperature has reached 32.0 which will be the high for the day.  The pressure is down to 29.34" or 994 millibars and is falling at a rate of 0.14" / hour.  Just 24 hours ago the pressure was a full one inch of Hg higher at 30.40".  An amazing drop in pressure and an amazing rise in temperature all within the one day of January 16, 2022.  I'll be back in the morning with the precip summary for the 16th.  I'm exhausted...lol.

PS>>>Now that it just hit 32.2 degrees I can say that plain rain is falling lightly.  NWS is forecasting me to reach 37 degrees by 1 am.  That prediction I do not believe is going to come true.

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Surprised it has been so bad tonight.  On the snow thing, those one or two 3" measurements in Waynesboro are a bit suspect.  Wonder if they corrected that? 

I ended up with 3.2”, Thurmont had about the same, so it’s hard to say.    Can prob get a better picture when pns gets updated.  

• Thanks 1