Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

11 minutes ago, medmax said:

Erm, at least a few hours of frozen precip to go.

From what I read in from CTP we were supposed to be AOA freezing by 9 or 10 pm.  For those of us that didnt get much, any more delay in getting above freezing helps to preserve what we got.  Thats all I'm pulling for.  We likely get there but hoping for only a few hours before column collapses and we cool off again.

• Like 1

Just now, KPITSnow said:

I certainly don't blame mets, and certainly 2-3 days out I know things can change, but we are going from a forecast of 12 inches here to possibly not even meeting warning criteria.

yes but most of the public dont have the time nor the interest to plot models and track storms

• Like 3

Here is my preliminary measurement for the snow and melted.  As usual I wasn't aware of the sleet mixing in until at least 5 minutes later.  Melted sleet destroys the SLR of the pure snow.  But, even though I know this number is contaminated, it's the best I can do.  The 3.6" of snow melted down to 0.50" of liquid producing an SLR of roughly 7 : 1.  The ratio before the sleet had to be at least 10:1 given how cold temps were.  My board is cleared and now measuring sleet, which is about 98% of what is falling right now.  Temp up to 23.5 and pressure down to 29.62".  If the surface low moves as progged, then the center of it should pass extremely close to this area at which time it should be below 29.00".  Pressures below 29.00" are quite unusual for our part of the country.  Maybe someone could look up the MDT records to see when was the date of the last time the pressure dropped below 982 millibars?

4 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I certainly don't blame mets, and certainly 2-3 days out I know things can change, but we are going from a forecast of 12 inches here to possibly not even meeting warning criteria.

Been there, done that. Can't remember the storm as I've had my share of busts over the years, but there was one one where I had a winter storm warning for 12-18 inches when I woke up the day of the storm only to end up with 2-3 inches while Allentown (35 miles southeast) cashed in with 15 inches.

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Just got back in.  5.5" of snow and 1" of sleet.  Mix of sleet and zr right now.  24 degrees.  The wind almost feels warm.  Maritime like.   @Cashtown_Coop, where do you stand?  Not going to go back through all the posts.

I had 3.2” of snow before the flip.  I haven’t ventured out to measure sleet yet 

sleet fzra mix.    26.7

1 minute ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

I would never call any of the snow heavy.   Light to mod the whole time.  

Our was Sn+ for about an hour.  Trying to gauge the best I could with the snow light.    All my measures are estimated of course.  Could be 5 1/4" or 5 3/4".  The 1" of sleet is pretty spot on though.    The plow left a 3 foot pile in front of my driveway I had to get out before the sleet got it. 

14 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

From what I read in from CTP we were supposed to be AOA freezing by 9 or 10 pm.  For those of us that didnt get much, any more delay in getting above freezing helps to preserve what we got.  Thats all I'm pulling for.  We likely get there but hoping for only a few hours before column collapses and we cool off again.

Going to be close for some of us - 31.2 here at 9:52pm.