Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

13 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Nam has always had merit w/ some of us and rightfully so.

ICON is purely shown for continuity....and fun.  I dont know anyone in here that uses it for anymore than that.  Fodder for weather chatter...

True…the NAM is often referred to in the short range, and I have noticed you’re one who often gives it credit. 

Almost edited my post to say they’re both good for adding more to the overall discussion. 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

We tossed the Nam about an hour ago.  It's GFS or bust right now.  I get the finger though and Lanco/York are not going to like it. 

image.png.67bb49619c5d9cfce262d6ed5cec91bd.png

Just got home from work and saw this - between 8-9" at Harrisburg and Reading with less than 1.5" at Lancaster?

Could happen.

Probably won't happen. 

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

@Jonesy56 thank you! 

Deleted mine, yours was better sans Finkenbinder standing in the way.

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

That is actually quite "high" for a TV met call this early in the progression.  That is an easy win if it happened. 

Agreed, a little surprised they put that out tonight.. not outlandish, but 72 hours out.. Chuck Rhodes would never!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CarlislePaWx said:

One thing my weather friends have told me is you need the 700 low to pass south of you for precip to be good and warming aloft to be mitigated.  This depiction shows the low south of the m/d line, which is at least one positive (for those of us in lsv).

Yep, and as I'm looking over GFS at 700, it does do just that.  Gets close to M/D line, but then scoots NE, but stays south of us.  If one toggles through the track of the SLP it looks to bounce around like a yo yo.  We'll find out soon enough, but seems wonky to me.  

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

We tossed the Nam about an hour ago.  It's GFS or bust right now.  I get the finger though and Lanco/York are not going to like it.

That’s a different interpretation than WeatherBell’s snow map. The GFS on WB has the whole LSV in the 5-7” with no weird reduction like that map. I mean according to that DC is still seeing 6”.  If that’s a Kuchera map I wonder if that one (assuming that’s a Pivotal map) calculates it differently. Kuchera is ideal to use in a stable cold snow column. When it’s on the fringes where there could be mixing and/or marginal surface temps (which I’m seeing a good bit of 34ºF in the LSV while still in the main precip) the equation that calculates Kuchera could put out an unrealistically low ratio even if primary p-type is snow. Counter to that, if you have a truly frigid column.. your going to see unrealistically high ratios.  At any rate Pivotal and WeatherBell must calculate that differently. 

Here’s WB, most of the LSV stuff is right up front. I’ll also note that 10:1 in the LSV is pretty similar to this Kuchera. 

image.thumb.png.02580ffe617ad1713a906a62d37361a4.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kerplunk said:

True…the NAM is often referred to in the short range, and I have noticed you’re one who often gives it credit. 

Almost edited my post to say they’re both good for adding more to the overall discussion. 

Well lets say they both add, but one notably more than the other. 

Ground truth we know better than too put much weight into extrapolating the NAM, but as we are trying to connect the weather dots...we all search for clues.  Guess that's one way of putting it.