Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

2 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, very cold temps leading in & a near perfect track…and then we could have 1996 all over again!

One of the very unique aspects of the Jan '96 storm (as you already know) was that temperatures were in the single digits leading in to the start of the storm.  It was 8 degrees around 10:00am on Sunday morning when the first flakes began.  That is the only snow storm of my life to experience that (single digit temps) at the beginning of a huge event.  The next coldest was February 2003 which had me 11 degrees when PD II began and remained in the teens for the entire storm.  It stayed in the teens the whole time in '96 as well.  I'm trying to remember how cold it was going in to January 2016's storm.  That was the largest accumulation of my life at 35".  I don't expect to see another one of them the remainder of my life.  I'm sure someone here could look up the temps for the 2016 storm.  I'm thinking low 20's but not teens.

Ok...just a few minutes ago I dropped below the coldest temp of all of last winter, 12.6 F and have now hit 12.4 degrees.  My dewpoint is holding at 7.6 degrees.  I think nearly everyone has a chance to see single-digit lows tomorrow morning.  I wouldn't be shocked if I dropped to +5.  I'll bet York, THV, gets down close to zero.  We'll see in 10 hours.

7 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

One of the very unique aspects of the Jan '96 storm (as you already know) was that temperatures were in the single digits leading in to the start of the storm.  It was 8 degrees around 10:00am on Sunday morning when the first flakes began.  That is the only snow storm of my life to experience that (single digit temps) at the beginning of a huge event.  The next coldest was February 2003 which had me 11 degrees when PD II began and remained in the teens for the entire storm.  It stayed in the teens the whole time in '96 as well.  I'm trying to remember how cold it was going in to January 2016's storm.  That was the largest accumulation of my life at 35".  I don't expect to see another one of them the remainder of my life.  I'm sure someone here could look up the temps for the 2016 storm.  I'm thinking low 20's but not teens.

I only got 27” that storm.   I remember the radar quite well with the heaviest deathband sitting right along 81.   I think parts of wv panhandle had over 40” 

image.thumb.png.13f009de19ed5eebb5ce45587cc96e6c.png

1 minute ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

I only got 27” that storm.   I remember the radar quite well with the heaviest deathband sitting right along 81.   I think parts of wv panhandle had over 40” 

Haha.  The "deathband" did not budge and stayed right over me for hours and only moved east very begrudgingly towards the end.

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Thanks.  Not sure if I consider that a full close off despite that small area in the middle.  Maybe someone who knows more than me could opine as usually a close off is a little more clean.  Larger, more circular.  

It’s technically closed off as the height lines do form a (very) small circle. 

8 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Icon is a bomb 

Almost perfect h5 pass for central Pa. Maybe a smidge to far nw but who would argue given the result 

Had to look on this small screen but at least it was TT which is better for the phone.  Did not seem to get the system any where near the gulf like the Op gfs if i saw it right.  More TN valley and then maybe a jump to NC?  Kind of screws the snow for the Carolina folks. 

Here is a portion of DT’s write up this evening on his website:

“Interior portions of the Mid-Atlantic and New England should expect to see a major snowstorm. The probability is high of 6+ inches of snow WEST of Interstate 85 in North Carolina, and in southwest Virginia, all of the Shenandoah Valley, the eastern half of West Virginia, western and central Maryland, central and eastern Pennsylvania, interior southeast New York, and interior portions of New England. In fact, some of these areas have a pretty good chance of receiving 12 inches of snow.”

Looks like GFS is still way inside (a tad more than 18z) with mix getting pretty deep into central and the 985 low coming right up the gut of C-PA. Still front end for all and significant central and esp western PA. 

Guess we’ll see where the rest of the 0z guidance and ensembles set up. Def suspect of that GFS track, I mean it’s possible but certainly not common. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Looks like GFS is still way inside (a tad more than 18z) with mix getting pretty deep into central and the 985 low coming right up the gut of C-PA. Still front end for all and significant central and esp western PA. 

Guess we’ll see where the rest of the 0z guidance and ops set up. Def suspect of that GFS track, I mean it’s possible but certainly not common. 

Low tracking right through happy valley.   Not common.    

5 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Guess we’ll see where the rest of the 0z guidance and ops set up. Def suspect of that GFS track, I mean it’s possible but certainly not common. 

I cannot recall that happening at all in the last 3-4 years.  Plenty of app runners coming from the south west but this slp would be approaching PA from the south east in this scenario.    Appears to be moving North by North West. 

4 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Bub, we may need to snow chase to paw paw.  

down to 8 degrees 

If I get a low approaching the south and east, I am going to rely on the great valley to keep it frozen...not snow but not rain either.  15 here.  It is much less cold than last night as to stepping out and how it feels.  More moist.

The Pittsburgh group may need to welcome us for a chase. 

• Like 1