Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

9 minutes ago, Voyager said:

So I'm sitting here, and 15 minutes ago I looked at my station display and the temperature was 19.6 degrees. Fifteen minutes later and I'm up to 22.8 degrees. I was kind of hoping to hold the teens at least until the precipitation started. Still, that was quite a quick jump.

I just scanned some mesos again and all show you getting some frz but not a ton.  None for the south part of the lsv and about .1 or less accretion for upper lsv and msv.  Will see how we they did later tomorrow.

Wow! I did not expect to see the oranges and reds.  We are just missing some heavier stuff here in Williamsport and I hope our good luck continues.  We are 28 now with wintry mix and won't hit 32 for another 9 hours at 1pm.  That little 2" of snow with ice on top may be a big pain.  The city never plowed my street, which was a first.  I assume other smaller streets didn't get done either.  

It is hard to believe that last Saturday was New Year's and that the holiday season is finally over. I'm not ready to slip and slide after so many recent days of 40s and 50s but now winter is really here.

WUNIDS_map.gif.1979d9ddce94c310b064ae668bae2dcd.gif

• Like 1

Woke up to ice storm warning! it's an ice rink out there 29 degrees. 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service State College PA
608 AM EST Sun Jan 9 2022

PAZ037-041-042-046-049>053-058-091900-
/O.UPG.KCTP.WW.Y.0002.000000T0000Z-220109T1900Z/
/O.NEW.KCTP.IS.W.0001.220109T1108Z-220109T1900Z/
Tioga-Northern Lycoming-Sullivan-Southern Lycoming-Union-Snyder-
Montour-Northumberland-Columbia-Schuylkill-
Including the cities of Mansfield, Wellsboro, Trout Run, Laporte,
Williamsport, Lewisburg, Selinsgrove, Danville, Sunbury,
Shamokin, Bloomsburg, Berwick, and Pottsville
608 AM EST Sun Jan 9 2022

...ICE STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Significant icing. Ice accumulations of one quarter to
  one half inch.

* WHERE...Portions of central Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...Until 2 PM EST this afternoon.

* IMPACTS...Extremely dangerous travel conditions. Untreated
  surfaces will be very slippery. Isolated power outages are
  possible.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and Pennsylvania
Turnpike Commission strongly encourage motorists to heed all
travel restrictions and delay unnecessary travel as severe winter
weather conditions will make travel very hazardous. If you must
travel, keep an extra flashlight, food and water in your vehicle
in case of an emergency.

Call 5 1 1 or visit www.511pa.com for the latest travel, roadway
and traffic conditions.

To report snow or ice, post to the NWS State College Facebook
page, use Twitter @NWSStateCollege, or visit weather.gov/ct

We went from predicted up to .1-.25-.5 ice in about a day and a half in Williamsport. I was not expecting an ice warning but we have one now.

I sure hope our power stays on.  It is rare for us to have an outage but we did lose it for about 14 hours a few years ago and we didn't like it at all.  We didn't buy more batteries for the flashlights since then either.  Meant to but didn't, isn't that what they all say?  

7:30a Update: I feel doomed.

WUNIDS_map (1).gif

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
-- Changed Discussion --

*Significant, locally damaging ice threat through the midday hours across much of the Central and North-Central Mtns of PA and the Middle Susq Valley...preceding an Arctic cold snap. Increased QPF and FZRA accums across a large part of the area from KUNV ENE through KIPT and KSEG based on high res guidance, upstream precip rates and an area of enhanced uvvel/cold cloud tops within the thermally direct circulation of a 110 kt jet max extending from Lake Erie northeast across the St. Lawrence Valley. Upstream rainfall rates of 0.10-0.20" of an inch/hour are aimed directly at the region of expected, longest-duration and coldest sfc air entrenched throughout the Valleys of Central PA and the Mid Susq Region. Increased ice accum to around 0.50" on the ridges AOA 1800 ft MSL east of KUNV through the KIPT area into the Endless Mtns, while the Valley locations should easily see 3-4 tenth of an inch of total ice accum. The region near and to the west of the RT 219 corridor will see minimal additional ice accum as temps are rising several deg above freezing across most locations ATTM.

Was quite surprised to see the Ice Storm Warning this morning. There's already a glaze on everything outside that is/wasn't treated. Current temp is 28.2 with light spotty rain at the moment. Radar and future radar indicate that a steadier slug will move in over the next few hours. The big question is are the temps going to hold steady, slowly rise, or quickly rise.

Past experience from my own backyard says that we won't see the high end of CTP's quarter to half inch range, as temps generally get to 33 rather quickly (with a few rare exceptions) here for some reason.

8 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

If I were an eagles fan, I would simply ask who won a SB more recently.  

then we get....but who has more.  It'll never end....and thats fine.  Part of the fun.  

BTW, I shouldnt have "bragged" about our B team hangin tough...the A team then proceeded to trounce the B's.

We are doing far better than expected.  I'll take the positives and let things fall where they may.  Eagles are playing well, but it will be tough to go deep into playoffs.  Green Bay won the superbowl coming into post season at 8-8 so anything is possible.

2 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Was quite surprised to see the Ice Storm Warning this morning. There's already a glaze on everything outside that is/wasn't treated. Current temp is 28.2 with light spotty rain at the moment. Radar and future radar indicate that a steadier slug will move in over the next few hours. The big question is are the temps going to hold steady, slowly rise, or quickly rise.

Past experience from my own backyard says that we won't see the high end of CTP's quarter to half inch range, as temps generally get to 33 rather quickly (with a few rare exceptions) here for some reason.

very icy down this way temp 30

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Voyager said:

Yes it is. I'm an Eagles fan and my wife is a Cowboys fan. We go back and forth bashing each others team, but it's all in fun, and neither one gets gets angry about it.

make sexual favor bets for the games....then it becomes a win win....just sayin ^_^

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Temp already at 32 here this morning, was not expecting that. I assume we’ll drop back down a bit if some precip moves through but all in all not seeing many big issues down this way. 

I didn't expect 28 here this morning, either. Most guidance seemed to be indicting low to perhaps mid 20's at onset of precipitation.

21 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

then we get....but who has more.  It'll never end....and thats fine.  Part of the fun.  

BTW, I shouldnt have "bragged" about our B team hangin tough...the A team then proceeded to trounce the B's.

We are doing far better than expected.  I'll take the positives and let things fall where they may.  Eagles are playing well, but it will be tough to go deep into playoffs.  Green Bay won the superbowl coming into post season at 8-8 so anything is possible.

Eagles had an amazing second half of the season.    They have a decent chance of beating anyone except the Packers.  Cannot get down too much as I think your passing game is suspect. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I forgot about my drone app. It gives a wind and temp profile for flying. As you can see, it's 26 (my wx station says 28) at the surface and doesn't get above 32 until 2,500ft up.

Pretty warm just a few thousand feet up.  Guess that is why there is not much sleet.  Any snow is totally melting. 

7 minutes ago, Voyager said:

We've been mixing from time to time here, so we have and ice and pellet buildup on cars and sidewalks.

Interesting.  Wonder how high the actual clouds/precip are as to starting.  Anything in the 38-40 range would melt right there.  So how are you getting these readings?  You said a drone app...is this estimated info from a model?