Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

2 hours ago, TimB84 said:

@Mount Joy Snowman, it looks like AFJ is an AWOS site at 1063 feet, about 20 miles south of PIT as the crow flies. What differentiates AWOS sites that make it onto that list from AWOS sites that don’t? Reliability of data?

3 hours ago, TimB84 said:

I think it’s probably a notorious cold spot for western PA. Perhaps the data is questionable, I’ve never looked into it. PIT got to 6 around 7:30 this morning and several personal weather stations in the area got to the low single digits so I would tend to believe that reading, but it may be a different type of site than your typical airport.

2 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I’m not sure that’s a damn good question and was really what caught my attention. Seems like they should be on, no??

Hey guys! Wanted to clear some things up here. AFJ is an AWOS station that is not listed for the state report of temps. Typically, one office in the state does a state major climo report, along with some reports from their own CWA.  My office does a RTP and OSO and LUB actually does a state report. AFJ being an AWOS means the station is 100% controlled and maintained through the FAA. ASOS are maintained and controlled through the NWS. The state of Pennsylvania choses specific stations to include in the state report, typically the major airports and population hubs. KPIT is the main for the Pittsburgh area. 

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Hey guys! Wanted to clear some things up here. AFJ is an AWOS station that is not listed for the state report of temps. Typically, one office in the state does a state major climo report, along with some reports from their own CWA.  My office does a RTP and OSO and LUB actually does a state report. AFJ being an AWOS means the station is 100% controlled and maintained through the FAA. ASOS are maintained and controlled through the NWS. The state of Pennsylvania choses specific stations to include in the state report, typically the major airports and population hubs. KPIT is the main for the Pittsburgh area. 

Thank you for the detailed explanation, and for putting up with us stat nerds who like to investigate all of these quirks related to lesser-known observation sites.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Thank you for the detailed explanation, and for putting up with us stat nerds who like to investigate all of these quirks related to lesser-known observation sites.

I'm a giant stat nerd myself, so I understand. Idk how my wife puts up with me :lol:

There's a ton of intricacies within the NWS on things, so we get some questions all the time. Sometimes those questions make us question our sanity, but we still answer to the best of our ability! This one is super tame comparatively haha

21 here. Crazy yesterday. First time in probably three years that we had a day with nothing but snow showers and squalls yesterday. Got 3" from the main storm and then probably 2" with everything else. Not expecting to get above freezing regardless of what the NWS says. Not my first rodeo.

Just ran through some mesos.  Down here it may be totally dry tomorrow AM but not much going on for the rest of the LSV either... accretion wise. .1 type numbers for total qpf until later in the day.  Could be dangerous roads of course but model wise, no tree or line issues south side of PA central and east. Nam's and HRRR have the LSV almost ice free.   If it was a matter of not prediciting CAD right it would be one thing but is more lack of precip until afternoon. 

Yea..the best opportunity seems to be after this day 5/6 period with energy diving into the conus around hour 144 to 168 ...but the above Euro control and HH Gfs develop the 1st sw diving in at day 4 and trended a bit better ..still a miss but u never know and I don't like skipping over any potential even if its low chance 

That day 5 needs to be watched!

12 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I quickly got down to 20 degrees at 6:30pm. 3 hours later it's 25. 

850's from the SW.  Surface winds from the south.  Hrrr erodes cold air about one degree per hour.  Of course cad could have something to say about slowing that down.  I have learned to never doubt it even if the push looks marginal.  

18z gfs was plenty close enough for late week opp. And if that one doesn’t work there looks to chances a plenty. Will be shocked if we don’t score with a couple/few of them. 
19 on way home from dinner in southern Lebanon county. 3 snowmobiles came in field and stopped for dinner. I was jealous but it was a bit thin for my liking. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

18z gfs was plenty close enough for late week opp. And if that one doesn’t work there looks to chances a plenty. Will be shocked if we don’t score with a couple/few of them. 
19 on way home from dinner in southern Lebanon county. 3 snowmobiles came in field and stopped for dinner. I was jealous but it was a bit thin for my liking. 

Getting trolled by other riders.   That is BS. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I’m happy our B team is hangin with their A team. :)

To be fair, the Cowboys are not playing their starting defense though about half the starters are playing.  But this game is meaningless.  Would not matter if Dallas had won 60-0.  Next week starts all over with all single game elimination. 

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

To be fair, the Cowboys are not playing their starting defense though about half the starters are playing.  But this game is meaningless.  Would not matter if Dallas had won 60-0.  Next week starts all over with all single game elimination. 

My son wholeheartedly objects to this sentiment - he is reaping the fantasy points of Dak's career night, LOL

• Haha 2