Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

49 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I see the notorious radiational cooling spots of THV and SEG both dropped to 4 last night, much colder than any other official stations in the state. 

State low that I could find at an airport was at AFJ (Washington, PA), which got down to 2, but that’s more my neck of the woods than yours.

35 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

12 F low

The day 5/6 timeframe is a long shot but there's hints of sw energy trying to go neutral tilt under us and negative too late . Icon gfs and some members have shown a slim potential . Something I'll watch today and tomorrow for trends for a possible sharper stronger sw 

Seeing your temp observation made me think. I need a two degree low this week.

That way I can report it as being 2F(n) cold... :shiver:

:lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

State low that I could find at an airport was at AFJ (Washington, PA), which got down to 2, but that’s more my neck of the woods than yours.

Oh nice thank you for that. I was just going off the roundup of the ASOS/AWOS sites that is released twice a day (see below). I wonder why AFJ isn’t included in that? Is AFJ a notorious cold spot? Relative low elevation spot?

B0E8FAC6-6CA7-4459-A182-C493769FAC2F.thumb.png.465cd3e8e04bbdd9d60d4f4ce81f4d28.png

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Fringed.  No thank you.  Next.  ;-)

This event is also on the Euro control run today in a much more friendly C-PA positioning. Something to see if it sticks when it gets inside D10. Looks like the next event after tomorrow’s icy mess is going to be in the Jan 15-16 timeframe. 

The overall pattern going forward looks good for the eastern US. I think we’ll eventually be presented with other snow opportunities 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Oh nice thank you for that. I was just going off the roundup of the ASOS/AWOS sites that is released twice a day (see below). I wonder why AFJ isn’t included in that? Is AFJ a notorious cold spot? Relative low elevation spot?

B0E8FAC6-6CA7-4459-A182-C493769FAC2F.thumb.png.465cd3e8e04bbdd9d60d4f4ce81f4d28.png

I think it’s probably a notorious cold spot for western PA. Perhaps the data is questionable, I’ve never looked into it. PIT got to 6 around 7:30 this morning and several personal weather stations in the area got to the low single digits so I would tend to believe that reading, but it may be a different type of site than your typical airport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAG5035 said:

This event is also on the Euro control run today in a much more friendly C-PA positioning. Something to see if it sticks when it gets inside D10. Looks like the next event after tomorrow’s icy mess is going to be in the Jan 15-16 timeframe. 

The overall pattern going forward looks good for the eastern US. I think we’ll eventually be presented with other snow opportunities 

A shot at two WSW level events (this last one was a bit questionable) over the next 2-3 weeks.    Shot meaning potential. 

19 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

@Mount Joy Snowman, it looks like AFJ is an AWOS site at 1063 feet, about 20 miles south of PIT as the crow flies. What differentiates AWOS sites that make it onto that list from AWOS sites that don’t? Reliability of data?

I’m not sure that’s a damn good question and was really what caught my attention. Seems like they should be on, no??

Geez, the pattern looks pretty ripe the week of the 16th. Still out there but if something noteworthy is going to pop, that sure looks like a good time for it. Potentially a big dog out there, which I honestly had written off for this winter. 

Intrigued...and as of now, nothing more. 

25 degrees. Top of grass visible in most sunny areas now. 

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Geez, the pattern looks pretty ripe the week of the 16th. Still out there but if something noteworthy is going to pop, that sure looks like a good time for it. Potentially a big dog out there, which I honestly had written off for this winter. 

Intrigued...and as of now, nothing more. 

25 degrees. Top of grass visible in most sunny areas now. 

Quite a bit of melting today despite a high of 29.