Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

3 minutes ago, Greensnow said:

23 up here with light snow. BGM has been slowly raising the totals and we should do 3-4". Wasn't expecting much but enjoy down south! Saturday night into Sunday has moved more to a snow changing to a mix up North. Finally winter!

Nam has frz down in central VA on Sunday am now.  A wintery several days indeed.

At 11:00pm in Carlisle, the temperature is down to 27.7 degrees with a dew point of 26.8.  It is currently snowing heavily, and has been heavy for nearly the entire past hour.  In fact, I just doubled my storm total after receiving an additional 1.3" in the past hour and now have a storm total of 2.5".  The heavy snow looks great.  It's fluffy and accumulating quickly.  We'll see how the day ends up at the midnight ob.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, paweather said:

@Bubbler86didn’t look at models tonight since snow was coming down I believe you said Sunday looks Icy?

The thing that stood out to me, about Sunday, was the Nam showing real cad down into central VA.  For me personally I need that to get Frz here.  A big buffer.  Won't sully up the boards doing a good snow storm with talking about it much more. 

• Like 1

Looks like some of the better enhanced stuff is even making it all the way up towards Williamsport. The whole Sus Valley from there down appears to be getting into the best rates of this event currently. Looking at LWX radar some of the really heavy stuff is traversing the Mason-Dixon and bottom tier of PA counties (Cashtown and Bubbler) and especially just below in northern MD. This should catch everyone else down below MDT towards York/Lancaster the next couple hours. 

50 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The thing that stood out to me, about Sunday, was the Nam showing real cad down into central VA.  For me personally I need that to get Frz here.  A big buffer.  Won't sully up the boards doing a good snow storm with talking about it much more. 

I think it could be a legit threat Sunday morning simply because we’ll have pack down and the coldest temps of the season on the lead up to Sat Night/Sun Morning. If there’s some rad cooling Sat Night before clouds move in it could be well below freezing. It doesn’t look like a big QPF producer but it doesn’t have to be to make for some really icy roads in that kind of scenario. Def something to keep an eye on once we get through the current event.  The actual warm-up on the surface will probably be brief as well, with a frontal passage and reinforcement of cold by Sunday evening. After that it appears we have a stable pattern of western ridge/eastern trough and we’ll have to keep an eye on any shortwaves that eventually materialize. 

• Like 1

Hey guys, here's my midnight ob and daily ob for 1/6/22:

At 12:00am the temperature in Carlisle was 27.1 degrees with a dew point of 26.2.  It continued to snow heavily during the past hour but at a slightly slower rate.  During the past hour I measured an additional 1.0" of snow bringing the storm total to 3.5".  I just melted down that snow and came up with 0.27" of liquid which produced a liquid equivalent ratio of 13 : 1.  I'll be anxious to see what the post midnight snow ratio turns out to be since that will be roughly the second half of the storm, which one would think would have to be a drier snow.  We'll see.  Based on current radar it would seem a lock to get at least another 1.5" before it ends which would bring the storm total to 5.0" which would verify the winter storm warning.  I think based on the look of the bands to the west which appear to be pivoting eastward I'll likely see one or two more really heavy bands.  So I'll say that I expect to end up with between 5.5 and 6.5 inches by morning.  I'm off to bed for the night so I'll do all my final measuring in the morning, probably between 8 and 8:30.  I forgot to mention that I also cleared my snowboard for the new day of data.  Good night for now and enjoy the next few hours for those who stay up!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Looks like some of the better enhanced stuff is even making it all the way up towards Williamsport. The whole Sus Valley from there down appears to be getting into the best rates of this event currently. Looking at LWX radar some of the really heavy stuff is traversing the Mason-Dixon and bottom tier of PA counties (Cashtown and Bubbler) and especially just below in northern MD. This should catch everyone else down below MDT towards York/Lancaster the next couple hours. 

I think it could be a legit threat Sunday morning simply because we’ll have pack down and the coldest temps of the season on the lead up to Sat Night/Sun Morning. If there’s some rad cooling Sat Night before clouds move in it could be well below freezing. It doesn’t look like a big QPF producer but it doesn’t have to be to make for some really icy roads in that kind of scenario. Def something to keep an eye on once we get through the current event.  The actual warm-up on the surface will probably be brief as well, with a frontal passage and reinforcement of cold by Sunday evening. After that it appears we have a stable pattern of western ridge/eastern trough and we’ll have to keep an eye on any shortwaves that eventually materialize. 

Mod snow now.    Somewhere around 5” estimate